Previous   Next

When you and your partner travel, who does the driving?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on February 8, 2010

Browse the archives

“I do, all the time. She doesn’t like to drive. I don’t want her driving.”

“My boyfriend usually does because I’m not a very good driver and he doesn’t think I have any direction.”

“He does … I think they (guys) like taking control like that sometimes.”

“My wife because she loves to drive, and I like making her happy.”

Related story

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

We take turns. He drives, I gripe. I drive, he gripes.

vinividivici 4 years, 2 months ago

I drive because the fiance has NO sense of direction. I took a nap on our way out of KC towards Wisconsin, and by the time we should have been 2/3 through Iowa, he had driven us to Omaha. Ever since then, I drive, and I don't take naps :)

milkman_dan 4 years, 2 months ago

Check back for tomorrow's question, "Pitching or catching?"

budwhysir 4 years, 2 months ago

no one drives, we just throw it in gear and close our eyes. Makes us fit in with all the people texting and reading novels on the highway

Liberty275 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't have a partner. I have a spouse. Specifically a wife. And I drive, because I don't like ending up in the ditch.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 2 months ago

I leave the driving to the driver of the empTy.

It is great for long trips around town. Takes all day to get to the store and back. Plenty of time to snooze and read the papers, but its a bummer to have to buy ice cream in the winter months only as it would melt in the summer.

Take the bus and leave the driving to us. That should be the new motto for the T.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 2 months ago

Is the OTS question about Bob Dylan? I can't heed very well.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

Hubby drives most of the time. I usually don't mind, as I get to sleep.

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

K, you've stumped me. Is that a Dylan song title or some lyrics. Now if Bob did the halftime show, which he would vehemently refuse to do, that would kick some major ass. For that retard setting, he would play "Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat" and "Thunder on the Mountain". Everybody would be so blown away they'd leave without caring about the game. Dig!

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

K_Verses_The_World, a Bob Dylan quote? I love you already and I'm not even familiar with that one! And I'm right witcha Autie. The Two? Boring....They should have broken up in 1978 when Keith Moon died. And believe me, Pete used to be my idol, so much so that when we went to see "Avatar", I thought it was a documentary about his spritual mentor, Avatar Meher Baba(big influence on "Baba O'Reilly"). But honestly, enough with the buttrock halftime shows and contrived "wardrobe malfunctions". Sorry, I'm not PC enough for you, beawolf. I meant to say "the old ball and chain". And Mel, if you're out there, Le Bon Temps, Roullete! Oui?

denak 4 years, 2 months ago

"....Gosh denak, Cradle rob much? ..."

Not lately :)

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

"S.E. Cupp is hot." -R_I

She sure is! So is that Dem pundit------Alicia Menendez-----something about her mouth when she talks is very alluring.

beawolf 4 years, 2 months ago

"Personally, I let the Old Lady drive, since I'm clockin' about a 4.9% BAC by the time we get in the car."...

About the same BAC as when you post.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

Me.

Autie, they already had Top at halftime several years ago. Next year let's get Led Zepplin up there...

1029 4 years, 2 months ago

On long trips I can usually find one of those people holding up a cardboard sign by an freeway entrance somewhere. I usually make them drive. It's a win-win because it doesn't cost me anything and they get a free ride. If you'd like to try this, I would recommend bringing a plastic drop-cloth or large plastic garbage bags to protect your upholstry--especially in the summer months.

Tony Kisner 4 years, 2 months ago

I love to drive - John Goodman, Raising Arizona.

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

Depends on what you mean by "Partner". Business partner? Brokeback Mountain Partner? Would it be so out of line for me to say "Man or Woman", "Husband or Wife", or "Girlfriend or Boyfriend"? Look at the OTS answers!! Personally, I let the Old Lady drive, since I'm clockin' about a 4.9% BAC by the time we get in the car.

flamingoroad 4 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes I drive and my husband navigates. He reads a map better than I do and we argue less this way.

beawolf 4 years, 2 months ago

I love driving, so my wife lets me. I prefer to fly if it's over 1,000 miles and I'm pushed for time. Otherwise a scenic journey across the country is the ultimate vacation. As my wife says, "We have no where to go, and all day to get there."

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

I know I'm possessive, but not's that's much's.

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

oh no, I said driver's.......... here comes the grammar police

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

I believe it is clinically proven that women are worse driver's so I do all the driving, with my harem rubbing my shoulders gently.

Mary Darst 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh, I am usually the one who drives. If we won the lottery, we would just hire a driver.

Mary Darst 4 years, 2 months ago

Autie, your hours may be subject to change around 8:30 or 9 pm tonight. 3 years wasn't enough time for me. Hope it doesn't sneak back up on you.

TheStonesSuck 4 years, 2 months ago

I think the masculine form of "you go girl!" is "atta boy!"

parrothead8 4 years, 2 months ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… The only thing we have to decide is who gets the aisle seat and who gets the window seat…..assuming the question refers to long trips. Driving sucks.

Exactly. Anything over six hours is a plane trip, as far as I'm concerned. I used to love long-distance road trips, but now they're just a waste of my time. I'd rather just be there. I hope teleportation becomes a reality in my lifetime.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

autie, The spousal unit once told me, that after a week without it, you can go for years without needing it.
You are almost 20 hours past that.

gccs14r 4 years, 2 months ago

She drives her car and I drive my car, so who drives depends on which car we're taking. We use mine for longer car trips because it's larger and more comfortable. For overseas trips, she usually takes the aisle and I usually take the window. Same with the train.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

about a month or so then? I think.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

185? When you get to as many hours as there are comments on the Marion grave jumping blog, then I'll be impressed.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

autie, 185!
What is the masculine form of "you go girl!"?

9070811 4 years, 2 months ago

Charles Tucker, You are amazing.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

Well if they want an old band..get ZZ Top. by god...

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

Stupid caps editor.....those were Roman numerals!!!

ozzynbn 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey Roe.... so you know Charlie too. I used to work with him back in the 80's at Color Press. Hellava nice guy. I still see him at the Mass St. Dillons from time to time.

regarding driving.....shared about 50/50

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

Autie-

I am all for getting at least some 1990's bands up there. I am growing tired of bands that are 40 years past their prime giving half-assed medley performances of their hits. I guess we will get Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam for Super Bowl's LXIII, LXIV, and LXV.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 2 months ago

Backseat drivers don't know the feel of the wheel, but they sure know how to make a fuss.

Bob Dylan - Let's Keep It Between Us

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

autie: Hey, the Who is singing at halftime. daughter: Who: autie: yes daughter: What? Who's that? autie: the Who? daughter: at halftime? autie: the Who. daughter: what?

CWGOKU 4 years, 2 months ago

Depends on whose car we take. We both like to drive so we have to toss a coin or something. Roger Daltry is 65 and Pete is 64. How can they call them the Who when only two of them are still alive? If Ringo and Paul sang at the Super Bowl, would you call them the Beatles?

coolmom 4 years, 2 months ago

the hubby usually drives short trips and i usually drive the longer trips.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Never let a lemur drive. If he says that he has a license, he's lieing.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

It's snowing. again. damn it. I better drive. wet cold slick craptastic weather

Is Roger Daltry like a hundred and eighty seven years old now? Didn't the Who sing at Lincoln's funeral? Or was that Led Zepplin?

davy 4 years, 2 months ago

mostly myself - however my night vision is not good so then we switch letting the younger one drive.

BABBOY 4 years, 2 months ago

My wife hates my road rage. She drives.

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

Me. Someone/something holds a giant magnet over my wife's internal compass.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

The only thing we have to decide is who gets the aisle seat and who gets the window seat.....assuming the question refers to long trips. Driving sucks.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

Me. Or Her. Maybe. Sometimes we just let the dog drive and we sit in the back seat and pretend he is our chauffeur.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Haha! Hey, Crossfire, back in the '60's I knew of a man who was pulled over for driving too slow. Seems he was blind, but his wife would tell him when to go, when to stop, turn left or right, so they thought it was okay since he was the only one with a license! Of course it had expired many years before, but that's just a minor detail...

Talk about your ultimate back seat driver!!!

countrygirl 4 years, 2 months ago

We shared the driving while on vacation in South Dakota last summer, but I made my husband drive in the Black Hills. I'm too much of a flatlander!

Crossfire 4 years, 2 months ago

I like to drive with a blind fold on. My passengers will tell me which way to turn and when to slow down and stop. This works really well with hitch hikers. Funny, when people see that you are blind they assume you are also deaf, "Damn, you really don't need to yell at me."

BigPrune 4 years, 2 months ago

Typically it's the man doing the driving. It's the only time a guy can feel in control. This is why guys have higher accident rates/higher insurance premiums.

Nikki May 4 years, 2 months ago

It depends for us. We both don't like driving, but someone has to do it. I never go to Shell, it always seems so expensive.

denak 4 years, 2 months ago

I do. 1) Because I love to drive and 2) no one else is old enough to drive.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey Charles! What's it been now? 44 years? Glad to see your still with us!

Oh... Me of course! She can fall asleep by the time the doors are shut...