Previous   Next

When you and your partner travel, who does the driving?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on February 8, 2010

Browse the archives

“I do, all the time. She doesn’t like to drive. I don’t want her driving.”

“My boyfriend usually does because I’m not a very good driver and he doesn’t think I have any direction.”

“He does … I think they (guys) like taking control like that sometimes.”

“My wife because she loves to drive, and I like making her happy.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 6 years ago

Hey Charles! What's it been now? 44 years? Glad to see your still with us!

Oh... Me of course! She can fall asleep by the time the doors are shut...

denak 6 years ago

I do. 1) Because I love to drive and 2) no one else is old enough to drive.

Nikki May 6 years ago

It depends for us. We both don't like driving, but someone has to do it. I never go to Shell, it always seems so expensive.

BigPrune 6 years ago

Typically it's the man doing the driving. It's the only time a guy can feel in control. This is why guys have higher accident rates/higher insurance premiums.

Crossfire 6 years ago

I like to drive with a blind fold on. My passengers will tell me which way to turn and when to slow down and stop. This works really well with hitch hikers. Funny, when people see that you are blind they assume you are also deaf, "Damn, you really don't need to yell at me."

countrygirl 6 years ago

We shared the driving while on vacation in South Dakota last summer, but I made my husband drive in the Black Hills. I'm too much of a flatlander!

RoeDapple 6 years ago

Haha! Hey, Crossfire, back in the '60's I knew of a man who was pulled over for driving too slow. Seems he was blind, but his wife would tell him when to go, when to stop, turn left or right, so they thought it was okay since he was the only one with a license! Of course it had expired many years before, but that's just a minor detail...

Talk about your ultimate back seat driver!!!

labmonkey 6 years ago

Me. Someone/something holds a giant magnet over my wife's internal compass.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

Never let a lemur drive. If he says that he has a license, he's lieing.

coolmom 6 years ago

the hubby usually drives short trips and i usually drive the longer trips.

K_Verses_The_World 6 years ago

Backseat drivers don't know the feel of the wheel, but they sure know how to make a fuss.

Bob Dylan - Let's Keep It Between Us

labmonkey 6 years ago

Autie-

I am all for getting at least some 1990's bands up there. I am growing tired of bands that are 40 years past their prime giving half-assed medley performances of their hits. I guess we will get Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam for Super Bowl's LXIII, LXIV, and LXV.

ozzynbn 6 years ago

Hey Roe.... so you know Charlie too. I used to work with him back in the 80's at Color Press. Hellava nice guy. I still see him at the Mass St. Dillons from time to time.

regarding driving.....shared about 50/50

labmonkey 6 years ago

Stupid caps editor.....those were Roman numerals!!!

9070811 6 years ago

Charles Tucker, You are amazing.

gccs14r 6 years ago

She drives her car and I drive my car, so who drives depends on which car we're taking. We use mine for longer car trips because it's larger and more comfortable. For overseas trips, she usually takes the aisle and I usually take the window. Same with the train.

parrothead8 6 years ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… The only thing we have to decide is who gets the aisle seat and who gets the window seat…..assuming the question refers to long trips. Driving sucks.

Exactly. Anything over six hours is a plane trip, as far as I'm concerned. I used to love long-distance road trips, but now they're just a waste of my time. I'd rather just be there. I hope teleportation becomes a reality in my lifetime.

TheStonesSuck 6 years ago

I think the masculine form of "you go girl!" is "atta boy!"

Mary Darst 6 years ago

Autie, your hours may be subject to change around 8:30 or 9 pm tonight. 3 years wasn't enough time for me. Hope it doesn't sneak back up on you.

Mary Darst 6 years ago

Oh, I am usually the one who drives. If we won the lottery, we would just hire a driver.

puddleglum 6 years ago

I believe it is clinically proven that women are worse driver's so I do all the driving, with my harem rubbing my shoulders gently.

puddleglum 6 years ago

oh no, I said driver's.......... here comes the grammar police

puddleglum 6 years ago

I know I'm possessive, but not's that's much's.

beawolf 6 years ago

I love driving, so my wife lets me. I prefer to fly if it's over 1,000 miles and I'm pushed for time. Otherwise a scenic journey across the country is the ultimate vacation. As my wife says, "We have no where to go, and all day to get there."

flamingoroad 6 years ago

Sometimes I drive and my husband navigates. He reads a map better than I do and we argue less this way.

Tony Kisner 6 years ago

I love to drive - John Goodman, Raising Arizona.

1029 6 years ago

On long trips I can usually find one of those people holding up a cardboard sign by an freeway entrance somewhere. I usually make them drive. It's a win-win because it doesn't cost me anything and they get a free ride. If you'd like to try this, I would recommend bringing a plastic drop-cloth or large plastic garbage bags to protect your upholstry--especially in the summer months.

riverdrifter 6 years ago

Me.

Autie, they already had Top at halftime several years ago. Next year let's get Led Zepplin up there...

beawolf 6 years ago

"Personally, I let the Old Lady drive, since I'm clockin' about a 4.9% BAC by the time we get in the car."...

About the same BAC as when you post.

denak 6 years ago

"....Gosh denak, Cradle rob much? ..."

Not lately :)

mom_of_three 6 years ago

Hubby drives most of the time. I usually don't mind, as I get to sleep.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years ago

Is the OTS question about Bob Dylan? I can't heed very well.

Liberty275 6 years ago

I don't have a partner. I have a spouse. Specifically a wife. And I drive, because I don't like ending up in the ditch.

budwhysir 6 years ago

no one drives, we just throw it in gear and close our eyes. Makes us fit in with all the people texting and reading novels on the highway

vinividivici 6 years ago

I drive because the fiance has NO sense of direction. I took a nap on our way out of KC towards Wisconsin, and by the time we should have been 2/3 through Iowa, he had driven us to Omaha. Ever since then, I drive, and I don't take naps :)

Maddy Griffin 5 years, 12 months ago

We take turns. He drives, I gripe. I drive, he gripes.