Previous   Next

Should Punxsutawney Phil be replaced by a robot?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on February 2, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think he ought to stay right where he’s at, I think he’s a cute little fella.”

“No, because then it wouldn’t be Groundhog’s Day, it would iRobot Day”

“No, that’s crazy. … that’s breaking tradition.”

“Absolutely not. I would prefer that we keep him as is: alive, furry and makes the children happy.”

Comments

Bladerunner 5 years, 3 months ago

Feb. 2nd = open season on groundhogs. Pick off the lil guy when he sticks his head up!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Maybe he was replaced by a robot years ago. Phil could be a reptoid for all we know. Pass the tin foil, please.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 3 months ago

I think PETA needs to be replaced with a robot.

BrianR 5 years, 3 months ago

Of course he shouldn't, that's crazy talk.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

Jumpin-

You want a Skynet version of PETA? You must really be a wacko-left-winger.

BigPrune 5 years, 3 months ago

First it was a pillow talk robot in the news just a few weeks ago, now it's Punxsutawney Phil. The people of PETA never cease to amaze.

Julie Craig 5 years, 3 months ago

No. But I didn't see my shadow this morning so I'm counting on early spring.

somedude20 5 years, 3 months ago

I think they should replace old Phil with Katie Horner. Once a year she can pop up out of her tree trunk and try to scare the living sh*t out of us with her impending doom talk concerning the dreaded 6 more weeks of winter.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Give a job to a poor wolfdog without a real future.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

No, but I bet we could find am immigrant gopher who would do the same job for less pay and lower benefits. Is Phil publicly subsidized? Someone think of our tax dollars!

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

RI; Gerbil? Pry it from your cold dead. . . cough. I'd say where my mind went there, but I'd probably get banninated.

50YearResident 5 years, 3 months ago

As far as I am concerned they can replace him with a cardboard cutout, the result will be exactly the same.

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

Must everything be replaced by technology?

ReadingSports 5 years, 3 months ago

Will the robot have a mini-gun and a death ray? Can it burn a person's skin off with it's gaze? Can it make copies of itself, destroy all life on earth, and take over the entire universe?

If not, then I think it's a pretty pathetic little robot, isn't it?

On the other had if we replaced the ground hog, could we eat the groundhog? This could be like a continuation of the winter holidays. It could be a food theme: turkey for thanksgiving, ham for Christmas, and groundhog for groundhog day.

Rex Russell 5 years, 3 months ago

In the past, I've jokingly complained about the increasingly stupid questions they ask on the street. But this one has to top them all. Are you freakin' kidding me. I'm not asking for Shakespere or Albert Einstien caliber material here but, quit letting 8 yr. old boys write the question for the day.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Autie: the wolfdog I was talking about had been repeatedly abused by use of a chain tether. Could be the same one.

gphawk89 5 years, 3 months ago

"I think PETA needs to be replaced with a robot."

I like it! Then we could just turn if off.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Xtreme Transformer Marmots, now with even more Megan Fox in 3D!

BigPrune 5 years, 3 months ago

Roxy is on sale for $6,495. If Michael Jackson were alive, they may have had a sale.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes, a great, big gas-powered robot that billows out smoke that blocks out the sun's rays, thus eliminating any chance of creating a shadow while adding to global warming, which will insure that we never again have six more weeks of winter -- or any winter, ever again. Gee, thanks for nothing PETA.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

the thing that made me chuckle about bea's description is i could actually picture that monstrocity. lol

somedude20 5 years, 3 months ago

could replace Phil with Ron Jeremy (aka the hedgehog) let him come (hehehehe) out of his hole once a year and if he casts a shadow 6 more weeks of penicillin

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

somedude, between you and jehovah bob (in another thread), i think i need some maalox.

somedude20 5 years, 3 months ago

Briscoe County honeychild Mel Jr, I own stock in Novartis (the co that owns Maalox) so drink up, but just make sure it is maalox that you are drinking

Jack Hope III 5 years, 3 months ago

Locally, we should replace him with a raccoon or opossum. If Tonganoxie Paul climbs out of my garbage can and sees Lawrence burning to the ground, then we have six more months of winter as well as a plague and maybe locusts. We don't need the east coast groundhogs telling us what our weather is going to be.