Previous   Next

What was your most memorable school science project?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 1, 2010

Browse the archives

“It was from a human factors class at KU, and it had to do with the process of designing a cooktop for the blind.”

“I had to make a volcano…it didn’t work. I was totally bummed.”

“We cooked shampoo … to test how much water was in it, and I remember the smell of the room because it smelled really good.”

“I was in fifth grade, I don’t remember the project, but I mispronounced the word ‘barometer’ and my teacher called me out, in front of everyone, and made me feel ‘special.’”

Related story

Comments

defenestrator 4 years, 2 months ago

The effects of cigarette smoke on goldfish. The fish died and my buddy and I got to smoke inside the school.

unelectable 4 years, 2 months ago

In 4th grade (i think) we had an "invention convention" where each kid came up with a prototype for a new invention. We had to create a display showing the steps we took to get from concept to prototype, explaining why there was need for the item, how we thought of it, and diagrams of the construction. The entire grade took part (3 classes) and we set up in the gym for the rest of the school to see when they attended throughout the day. In the afternoon or evening the place was opened up to family and friends and the neighborhood in general.

My invention was ear muffs with headphones in them. There was were many other things, far better, thought of by my classmates.

I remember it being one of the biggest events at the school each year (along with the carnival and field day). It was a right of passage that you looked forward to growing up in the school.

I can only imagine what the kids today are coming up with. When i was there the school had 2 apple iis and a iic on a table in the library, you know where the books are. Today's kids must be more tech savvy than we were.

Newell_Post 4 years, 2 months ago

Seventh grade. The assignment was to chart the exponential growth rate of yeast cells. They were out of the special growth medium for the yeast cells, so we had to use molasses. We even had the lab components for distillation, but that was after hours.....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

"Of course, RI." Good to hear, for I fear the cure more than the poison.

/not a fluffer

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

RI, I had a social disease once. Does that count?

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

You rock, lindseydoyle! Hey prospector, any tips? Or is ethynol something I shouldn't drink? I can't remember. I do know I ran out of booze one time and drank my own urine along with some rubbing alcohol. That didn't go down well at all. Last week my still was empty so I put some gasoline in it. Ka-Boom! My backyard looked like Vietnam circa 1968.

lindseydoyle 4 years, 2 months ago

In chemistry class they made aspirin. A friend took some, put it in his locker and told a little snitch that he had some heroin. The LPD got called and his locker was searched. That was a great experiment.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

I stuffed a trophy trapdoor prairie squid. It hangs in my downstairs bathroom.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

"Social Justice". Class warfare instigated to keep us divided...not united, fighting government tyranny.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

One of my classmate, Thaug, discovered that sneaking up behind a buffalo and popping a paper bag to determine how high a buffalo could jump was a totally bad idea.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

Being 100% pure id, the world is my petri dish.

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

It involved a 1lb chunk of sodium and the guy's bathroom toilet.

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

I removed my spleen, put it on top of a small funeral pyre, and burned it, while dancing around to some crappy Grateful Dead song. To this day I still can't eat red meat.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Let's just say that back then they didn't send a Hazmat truck and Homeland Security if you created an odor that cleared the entire building...

But I still say I didn't do it!

CWGOKU 4 years, 2 months ago

Great, another bartender that can't pronounce "barometer"

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

Maybe sometime we ought to try that Coffee Cake Lake where they found that alligator and do some nuclear fishin.

Raymond Munoz 4 years, 2 months ago

Two of them stand out for me...

In 6th grade I did a project on cryogenics. I froze ants in a slush puppy mixture, put them in the freezer overnight, and thawed them out the next day. Some of the ants actually lived!

In 12th grade I wrote a computer virus and the teacher was too afraid to run the code so I got an automatic A without them having any proof that it worked. Well, they had the source code, but it was written in C and the only programming language the teachers were familiar with was BASIC. :)

Fun times!

jonas_opines 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't remember, so I guess. . . none of them?

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

the teachers didn't know about it and we kept it in the trunk of the car but like Roedy i cain't talkboutit eiither.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 2 months ago

HAHAHA..that's exactly what I was thinking, to my knowledge, they still don't know for certain I was involved,so I can't talkabout it! rofl! Let's see The good thing about science was, it might have been..illegal, immoral..at least it wasn't fattening, right? That's America's problem..not enough scientific experimentation at home.