Previous   Next

Have you ever inherited a quilt or had anyone in your family make you one?

Asked at Borders, 700 New Hampshire St. on December 28, 2010

Browse the archives

“No. I know people who make quilts but I’ve never inherited one.”

“Yes. My mother has given me a few of her older quilts.”

“Yes. My mom has made me quilts and I’ve had a couple handed down that my great grandmother made.”

“Yes. We had a great quilt made for us by a friend, who made it for our baby. It had instruments on it.”

Comments

bkreed1960 3 years, 11 months ago

My grandmother made me one when I was growing up. I keep it in storage now because of the sentimental value associated with it.

riverdrifter 3 years, 11 months ago

I've got one made in the 1860's. I inherited it and it's not in very good shape, but it's still here.

H_Lecter 3 years, 11 months ago

Onkel Josef brought us a unique one from the old country. It was an interesting patchwork, but the 'fabric' was what made it unique.

Bill Lee 3 years, 11 months ago

Two. My mother gave me one that she and my father received as a wedding gift, and the mother of my high school girlfriend made me one when I got married. Both are gone now, but I remember them fondly. I've had an idea for making one, but have never pulled the trigger and done it.

davidsmom 3 years, 11 months ago

Practically yes but technically no - We have several from my husband's maternal grandmother.

ifuonlyknew 3 years, 11 months ago

I have 2 from my great grandma who went into a nursing home. They are beautiful though, and I truly cherish these quilts. I also have a quilt from my other grandma who made it for me when I was a baby. My dad brought it to the hospital when I had my daughter, so she too could use it :)

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm not quilty. In fact I was miles away at the time. I gots witnesses

scopi_guy 3 years, 11 months ago

My grandma loved to quilt. Whenever she wasn't doing something else, she was always working on quilt pieces. She made each of her grandchildren (over 20) a quilt during the 80s. Some of them had embroidered blocks (birds and flowers of all 50 states). She started with the oldest first, and since I'm one of her youngest grandchildren, I was one of the last to get one. I helped her with the sewing/piecing part but she did all the binding and quilting of it. Also have old quilts made by relatives on both my mom and dad's side of the family going back to the late 1800s.