Previous   Next

What’s the best gift you’ve ever been given?

Asked at Borders, 700 New Hampshire St. on December 21, 2010

Browse the archives

“A painting my 11-year-old son painted of a Mustang, an old car we’d been working on.”

“My dad died this year and he gave me a Bible for Christmas.”

“A trip to New Jersey and to New York City to see ‘Spring Awakening’ the musical.”

“When I was 5 or 6, when I received my first bicycle.”

Comments

verity 3 years, 8 months ago

Autie, that website's heathenistic. It says the eclipse proves that the earth is round. You one of them modern liberalists?

The goddess is not happy. It's because of people like you that blood pours over the moon.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 8 months ago

If you have "serious' questions about the Winter Solstice, Lunar Eclipses, and Yule, I can help you with that.

If you are looking for things satanic and evil, go look in a bible or a christian website. There you'll find your "silly" answers. Or you can rent a horror movie if demons, blood sacrifices and upside-down pentagrams are your idea of fun.

The Solstice, Eclipses, Yule, pentacles, and Pagan beliefs have Nothing to do with Christianity or it's deities. The Solstice is the Reason for the Season. (As long as the Earth has had and continues to have an axial tilt!)

Gene Wallace 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh yeah! My best present of the set of Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias my parents bought for me not long after I was born. Little did they know...

Gene Wallace 3 years, 8 months ago

""was, not of"" CCG! Imagine me not "Spell" checking. Welcome Yule! - "May all things Well and good Come to you and yours at this Season of Yule, the Winter Solstice"

Stuart Evans 3 years, 8 months ago

christianity is based on paganism. stolen actually.

booyalab 3 years, 8 months ago

Ahh, yes. The rigorous academic tradition of looking for topical similarities and inferring causation.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 8 months ago

explain: The ritual cannibalism called Communion - Kinda strange, that! How about your god's Need for praise, worship and glorification. Sounds like a really warped personality. Or wrathful god versus loving god. Why was the gaining Knowledge of Good and Evil such a big deal? What was your God afraid of? Why were his creations imperfect? Methinks Christians should actually question their programming before calling the beliefs of others childish.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 8 months ago

Ever "Wiki" your way through your KJV with a good set of encyclopedias, a good dictionary and thesaurus. I did that all through grade school, JHS and HS. Funny how my Sunday School teachers and the Pastor avoided answering my questions.

verity 3 years, 8 months ago

Since all religions are made up, I find it most useful and satisfying to make up my own religion as I go along. Today I am celebrating the most high day of the lunar eclipse and winter solstice brought to us by the mother goddess, Gaia. I danced in my own private henge last night as I watched the goddess hide her face until the Sun promised to return. Well, actually I jumped around to try to keep warm, but I can call it dancing if I choose.

Oh, the question---the best gift I have received is the quest for knowledge that my parents gave me by example.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 8 months ago

Do you know of the concept of symbolic mythology? The Abrahamic religions believe their myths to be real. Most Pagans know the myths to be thought concepts and lessons. Yes, quest for knowledge, wisdom and self awareness. Don't allow yourself to stay programmed.

verity 3 years, 8 months ago

I did not know that "Most Pagans know the myths to be thought concepts and lessons." Very interesting. I have only dabbled, but find the study of religion fascinating and am most interested in the maternal/matriarchal religions and nature worship. Your comment is an incentive to study more.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

"BS" detector. Useful, especially here.

Bill Lee 3 years, 8 months ago

Something I can't discuss in a public forum. I grinned for days.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 8 months ago

My baby sister was born on a Christmas Eve.

Best Christmas ever.

gphawk89 3 years, 8 months ago

My son. After several difficult years of infertility treatments. We named him Matthew, which means "Gift from God".

nobody1793 3 years, 8 months ago

A hummer or a Hummer?

Don't answer that.

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

Hallmark moment in 3...2...1, a woman's love is the best gift I was ever given

nobody1793 3 years, 8 months ago

A good swift kick in the behind.

JustNoticed 3 years, 8 months ago

1029 3 years, 8 months ago

The strangest gift I ever received was when I was thirteen and my uncle sent me a prostitute. She knocked on our door while we were eating Christmas dinner. My parents were extremely upset, and my dad told my uncle he needed to speak to him in the garage and they got into a big argument about who was more of a man. My uncle wasn't invited to dinner the next year, and then the year after that he went to jail and I haven't heard from him since.

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

a pair of purple socks with a $5 bill rolled up inside, 1959.

snoozey 3 years, 8 months ago

Divorce from the most evil woman I've ever known.

gbulldog 3 years, 8 months ago

As I was growing up, my parents did not have a lot of money. They could have qualified for assistance but refused to accept charity or go on welfare. So instead of buying presents, they made them and continued to do so over the years. My dad made wooden toys that included a complete set of farm buildings, trucks, tractors, etc. My mom made various sewing projects and lot of great food. As I grew older my dad and I worked together on various projects. He died several years ago, but what a great traditions my parents gave me. I still appreciate gifts from a person that uses his/her skills and love to make something for me and my family rather than a gift of some "cheap junk" made in China,.

kernal 3 years, 8 months ago

Truly gifts of love. Merry Christmas!

JJE007 3 years, 8 months ago

Genes. Some of those were the best gift...EVER. Some were the worst.