Previous   Next

What’s the best gift you’ve ever been given?

Asked at Borders, 700 New Hampshire St. on December 21, 2010

Browse the archives

“A painting my 11-year-old son painted of a Mustang, an old car we’d been working on.”

“My dad died this year and he gave me a Bible for Christmas.”

“A trip to New Jersey and to New York City to see ‘Spring Awakening’ the musical.”

“When I was 5 or 6, when I received my first bicycle.”

Comments

JJE007 3 years, 3 months ago

Genes. Some of those were the best gift...EVER. Some were the worst.

gbulldog 3 years, 3 months ago

As I was growing up, my parents did not have a lot of money. They could have qualified for assistance but refused to accept charity or go on welfare. So instead of buying presents, they made them and continued to do so over the years. My dad made wooden toys that included a complete set of farm buildings, trucks, tractors, etc. My mom made various sewing projects and lot of great food. As I grew older my dad and I worked together on various projects. He died several years ago, but what a great traditions my parents gave me. I still appreciate gifts from a person that uses his/her skills and love to make something for me and my family rather than a gift of some "cheap junk" made in China,.

HollisBrown 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm still hoping Bob Dylan might drop in for a visit. I'm not holding my breath.

sputum 3 years, 3 months ago

A brand new empty suitcase. When I was 19 and still living at home with mom and dad that's all I got for christmas. I was working making deacent money and spending every penny on stuff I'd rather not say. Kept that suitcase all my life and it was in tatters, but to me, it was the most valuable thing I owned. It inspired me every time I looked at it. Then my dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks bible-thumping ex-wife threw it away without asking.

BABBOY 3 years, 3 months ago

I think they asked this question last week or sometime form of this question recently.

Machiavelli_mania 3 years, 3 months ago

The abolishment of the Patriot Act.

Opps, that hasn't happened yet. Why not?

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 3 months ago

LJW on-line, an award-winning and expertly moderated forum.

snoozey 3 years, 3 months ago

Divorce from the most evil woman I've ever known.

independant1 3 years, 3 months ago

a pair of purple socks with a $5 bill rolled up inside, 1959.

hitme 3 years, 3 months ago

I called the White House and asked if Obama would mind sharing his "best gift".

He said, "The Noble Prize, definitely The Nobel Prize."

1029 3 years, 3 months ago

The strangest gift I ever received was when I was thirteen and my uncle sent me a prostitute. She knocked on our door while we were eating Christmas dinner. My parents were extremely upset, and my dad told my uncle he needed to speak to him in the garage and they got into a big argument about who was more of a man. My uncle wasn't invited to dinner the next year, and then the year after that he went to jail and I haven't heard from him since.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 3 months ago

The National Wildlife Federation gave me a polar bear blanket for $15, and the National Rifle Association gave me a duffel bag for $35. I was going to use the duffel bag for my bug out bag, and the blanket to keep me warm, but they were just a thin little piece of Chinese made fleece and a nasty vinyl bag.
Damn juvenile goat fornicators.

JustNoticed 3 years, 3 months ago

nobody1793 3 years, 3 months ago

A good swift kick in the behind.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

Hallmark moment in 3...2...1, a woman's love is the best gift I was ever given

northtown 3 years, 3 months ago

LIFE-had cancer,but for now it is gone-best gift i could receive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gphawk89 3 years, 3 months ago

My son. After several difficult years of infertility treatments. We named him Matthew, which means "Gift from God".

autie 3 years, 3 months ago

Shoot, I read the question backward...the best present I've ever been given was on July 3, 1989. I received a seven pound baby girl. She is now my Chief Executive Officer and top Security Advisor. Even if in about three years from now she may very well be a horrible, horrible person.

consumer1 3 years, 3 months ago

My faith in Jesus and the promise of everlasting life.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 3 months ago

My baby sister was born on a Christmas Eve.

Best Christmas ever.

HollisBrown 3 years, 3 months ago

Ronaldo, that area is called the "taint", because it taint the one thing and it taint the other.

HollisBrown 3 years, 3 months ago

For like, three years in a row, I kept getting a social disease. I'm not even sure who I got them from.

Bill Lee 3 years, 3 months ago

Something I can't discuss in a public forum. I grinned for days.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

"BS" detector. Useful, especially here.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 3 months ago

If you have "serious' questions about the Winter Solstice, Lunar Eclipses, and Yule, I can help you with that.

If you are looking for things satanic and evil, go look in a bible or a christian website. There you'll find your "silly" answers. Or you can rent a horror movie if demons, blood sacrifices and upside-down pentagrams are your idea of fun.

The Solstice, Eclipses, Yule, pentacles, and Pagan beliefs have Nothing to do with Christianity or it's deities. The Solstice is the Reason for the Season. (As long as the Earth has had and continues to have an axial tilt!)

Damian666 3 years, 3 months ago

The moon returns as our master is pleased with the sacrifices upon the many roundabouts of Lawrence.

autie 3 years, 3 months ago

yeah...we sky gazing now. Kind of special on the solstice....the blood moon and all. I may have to eat a dead baby or something before this is over...like a druid commie pinko cheese eating surrender monkey.

autie 3 years, 3 months ago

tickets to a WWE event with Stone Cold Steve Austin.

psycho_theclown 3 years, 3 months ago

A copy of 'The Anarchist's Cookbook'

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 3 months ago