Previous   Next

Have you ever tried to travel with your pets?

Asked at Pet World, 711 West 23rd St. on December 20, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, in the car. It’s an interesting trip.”

“Yes, with one disaster story. My dog wouldn’t be quiet under the seat on the airplane. ”

“With my dog in the car. It worked out pretty well.”

Comments

H_Lecter 4 years, 4 months ago

I mix my own Trichloromethane and the airlines allow me to carry on 3 oz. That is more than enough to calm pets and babies.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Turns out Tommy the Basement Cat is a terrible driver.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

You do not want to be on a plane with half a dozen lemurs who just discovered a bottle of rum.

Blessed4x 4 years, 4 months ago

I tried, but my dog refused to be scanned and bit the guy patting him on his junk during the strip search. I tried to tell him to just get scanned and not worry about naked pics ending up on his facebook wall, but would he listen to me? NO! He's so paranoid.

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 4 months ago

I had two ferrets, Trouble and Bandit, when I drove long haul.
It was fun, and they mostly stayed out of mischief. We used to tell folks at the truck stops that we'd be in as soon as we'd finished looking for Trouble.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

I had a cat that loved to travel. I never had to put him in a pet carrier. As soon as we got in the car he headed for the back window and would lay there, sunning himself. I kept a blanket in the back window for him and on long trips, a disposable litter pan in the back floor board. He loved to visit other places (very uncat like) and I would take him to my parents (an hour trip) and to my sister's place (a 6 hour drive) where we would spend the weekend or a few days. He was always a good house guest and got along with other pets and children (again, very uncat like). I got stopped on 71 highway coming back from my sister's one time. It was dark and the officer shone his flashlight in the back seat. He spotted the cat up in the window and said, "Is that a CAT?" I said yes and he was rather impressed. I still got the ticket.

pace 4 years, 4 months ago

I took my friend's Arlo the cat to his new home in Mass from Lawrence. It was suppose to be my big favor for a friend. Arlo turned out to be a great traveler. He was large, had two spot in the van he liked, but mostly laid on the back of the rear seat and I think he waved at kids as their cars passed. They sure waved at him. He figured out more ways to be cute than I knew cats could do. One night I was camping in a Pennsylvania state park by a small waterfall, I put him on his leash and he played at the side of the water, and caught a fry. I tried to tell him he didn't have a PA fishing license but he didn't seem to care. Most of the trips I have taken with my cats were to the vet and they always knew.

hawkfan_05 4 years, 4 months ago

We travel with our 70# boxer eveywhere. He loves it. We rather enjoy it too. He sleeps most of the time. When he is up, his head is out the window. We have a Nissan Altima. No barking. No drooling. Just the rather stinky fart every now and again.

bolshavik_vw 4 years, 4 months ago

we take our Dogs Everywhere we can, except for work. and if it is too cold or too hot out they stay home and get to watch Animal Planet, on tv, They go on vacation with us most of the time, and they get to stay in Motel 6, sometimes we get a room with Double Beds, we get ours and they get theirs. Our dogs are Weiners, Ace is 13 and will be 14 on Jan 6, Rosie is 2 and will be 3 on May 16, We love our dogs, they are our only kids.

Martha Oldham 4 years, 4 months ago

I take my three standard poodles to Wyoming every summer. They love to go and Yellowstone National Park is their favorite place. They are great traveling partners.

riverdrifter 4 years, 4 months ago

My lab travels with me. Most labs are great road dogs. She curls up and sleeps all the way until it's time to hunt pheasants, ducks or geese. Methane trauma is a problem but that's why God made power windows.

M. Lindeman 4 years, 4 months ago

Yep, two valuomes and three beers and I was doing just fine.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah. The dog loves to go camping...or wherEVER his people go.