Previous   Next

Do you maintain a garden?

Asked at Borders, 700 New Hampshire St. on December 18, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, I just don’t have time. I don’t even have plants. ”

“Yeah, I have a garden. We have tomatoes. ”

“I do not. I’d like to have one but I rent.”

“Only a flower garden.”

Comments

themiddlechild 3 years, 4 months ago

I would love to have a garden, but no one in my neighborhood has one, it turns out I need a permit to have one, flower or vegetable. Not sure why.

SamShaw 3 years, 4 months ago

I grow coconuts in my garage. They are delicious. The LJW should run a story on me.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 4 months ago

Plantin garlic tomorrow, tomato and pepper seeds in a couple of weeks, lettuces starting in Feb-March, the rest at normal times. I guess from Whirly's posts that he/she has had a failed experience. If I'd figure the return on my time from the last three years' gardens, the much, much tastier food and vast quantities, priced me out at about $30. per hour return on my time. Better pay than sitting in my own mud bein' grumpy, but "to each his own." Nope, I'll putter in my garden a few hours a week and eat better food than you can buy. 12 varieties of tomatoes, and every single one of them better than anything grown commercially. More peppers than Checkers, 3 kinds of spuds. Beans, corn, popcorn, peas, about 200 lbs of onions. Grew about 150 bucks worth of cauliflower for 9 dollars. Had everything planted in less time than it would take to get drunk. Less expensive, too. And not a nickel for pesticide or herbicide or fertilizer. Just leaves and grass clippings and (organic) Angus poop.

riverdrifter 3 years, 4 months ago

I garden about an acre. Radishes and sweet peas under the row tunnels to get them up and going by early March. Later, onions, sweet corn, tomatoes and pumpkins. The garlic was planted in late October and will be harvested next July. The big garden is wearing me out though, and a downsizing is due. It's a lot of damn hard work, but I like it.

Katara 3 years, 4 months ago

I didn't this year because I had other projects to attend to but am considering what I what to plant in the spring. I am looking forward to fresh lettuces for salads.

independant1 3 years, 4 months ago

yup, will in the spring. and besides fruit trees have been planting those blueberry bushes lately, a really strange plant.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 4 months ago

When's merrill gonna weigh in with some helpful links to nude gardening?

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

With the price of food going up every year and most incomes not, looks like it might be worth looking into. Tons of sites on the internet teach folks how to grow veggies in our Zone 5, beginning the the Douglas County Extension Service.

snoozey 3 years, 4 months ago

No, too much snow this time of year for good tomatoes.

thuja 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes you do have time Melanie.
We all have the same amount of time, every day. Or do the people who really get things done, (like have a garden) have magic extra-time-making skills?

justsomewench 3 years, 4 months ago

I've always maintained that I will have a garden...someday. Does that count?

smitty 3 years, 4 months ago

Now is the time to prepare. It's time to order seed catalogs.

Shade tolerate veggies include cucumbers, cherry tomatoes(grape or roma too).

Always, the salad greens are good in partial sun.

Patio veggie gardeners can use several methods of planting...check out straw bale gardening, container gardening, intense gardening in small spaces. Containers can be quite attractive and inventive.

This past year I collected several gunny sacks(burlap) to try on the edge of the patio of yard. Just file up the sack with soil then plant a transplant in holes in the burlap. Easy to do, easy to water, no weeds and compact.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 4 months ago

I love my spring/summer garden. We just bought some land outside of town so I can't wait to plant fruit trees on it this spring.

prospector 3 years, 4 months ago

Sure. Gonna start some seeds on solstice.

Bill Lee 3 years, 4 months ago

I had four tomoto plants on my apartment balcony this year. Would have been better with a southern exposure. I may try something else next year.

TheWhirl 3 years, 4 months ago

You'd think in Loonie Left Lawrence everyone would have a garden since they think we should be eating that garbage. Just like Michelle Obama.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

I'll be picking a nice batch of sno-cones this morning

fleeba 3 years, 4 months ago

yes, but not this time of the year...

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

Uh...everybody does.....duh......so.,,, yes.

thebcman 3 years, 4 months ago

great time of year for this question.