Previous   Next

Do you maintain a garden?

Asked at Borders, 700 New Hampshire St. on December 18, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, I just don’t have time. I don’t even have plants. ”

“Yeah, I have a garden. We have tomatoes. ”

“I do not. I’d like to have one but I rent.”

“Only a flower garden.”

Comments

fleeba 3 years, 7 months ago

yes, but not this time of the year...

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

I'll be picking a nice batch of sno-cones this morning

kernal 3 years, 7 months ago

You want oil in your coffee for breakfast to offset all those beans you're full of?

impska 3 years, 7 months ago

What do you think grows in the garden? Cabbage patch kids?

Bill Lee 3 years, 7 months ago

I had four tomoto plants on my apartment balcony this year. Would have been better with a southern exposure. I may try something else next year.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 7 months ago

I love my spring/summer garden. We just bought some land outside of town so I can't wait to plant fruit trees on it this spring.

youarewhatyoueat 3 years, 7 months ago

God forbid people have actual hobbies.

What are you, a Ferengi?

justsomewench 3 years, 7 months ago

I've always maintained that I will have a garden...someday. Does that count?

snoozey 3 years, 7 months ago

No, too much snow this time of year for good tomatoes.

kernal 3 years, 7 months ago

With the price of food going up every year and most incomes not, looks like it might be worth looking into. Tons of sites on the internet teach folks how to grow veggies in our Zone 5, beginning the the Douglas County Extension Service.

been_there 3 years, 7 months ago

LOL, I remember that blog, only time merrill got a post removed that I know of.

independant1 3 years, 7 months ago

yup, will in the spring. and besides fruit trees have been planting those blueberry bushes lately, a really strange plant.

Katara 3 years, 7 months ago

I didn't this year because I had other projects to attend to but am considering what I what to plant in the spring. I am looking forward to fresh lettuces for salads.

riverdrifter 3 years, 7 months ago

I garden about an acre. Radishes and sweet peas under the row tunnels to get them up and going by early March. Later, onions, sweet corn, tomatoes and pumpkins. The garlic was planted in late October and will be harvested next July. The big garden is wearing me out though, and a downsizing is due. It's a lot of damn hard work, but I like it.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 7 months ago

Plantin garlic tomorrow, tomato and pepper seeds in a couple of weeks, lettuces starting in Feb-March, the rest at normal times. I guess from Whirly's posts that he/she has had a failed experience. If I'd figure the return on my time from the last three years' gardens, the much, much tastier food and vast quantities, priced me out at about $30. per hour return on my time. Better pay than sitting in my own mud bein' grumpy, but "to each his own." Nope, I'll putter in my garden a few hours a week and eat better food than you can buy. 12 varieties of tomatoes, and every single one of them better than anything grown commercially. More peppers than Checkers, 3 kinds of spuds. Beans, corn, popcorn, peas, about 200 lbs of onions. Grew about 150 bucks worth of cauliflower for 9 dollars. Had everything planted in less time than it would take to get drunk. Less expensive, too. And not a nickel for pesticide or herbicide or fertilizer. Just leaves and grass clippings and (organic) Angus poop.

tomatogrower 3 years, 7 months ago

The health benefits from gardening are not just from healthier food. You actually have to work that body. It'll tone you up, and give you something healthy to eat. I don't think a hot tub and beer will do much for you. But to each their own.

May Soo 3 years, 7 months ago

I would love to have a garden, but no one in my neighborhood has one, it turns out I need a permit to have one, flower or vegetable. Not sure why.