Previous   Next

What KU sports figure, all-time, would you most like to have a conversation with?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 17, 2010

Browse the archives

“Jim Ryun. I’ve always been a runner and looked up to him. ”

“Bill Self. He’s probably my favorite coach. He just seems like a classy guy. ”

“James Naismith, the father of basketball. ”

“Probably Jeff Boschee. I had a huge crush on him. I had a poster of him in my room in third grade.”

Comments

labmonkey 3 years, 9 months ago

Chamberlain....gotta learn how to pick up chicks.

grammaddy 3 years, 9 months ago

Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain. I want to know if he really is the bio-dad of one of my friends.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

I've already had conversations with a lot of my KU favorites, but I arrived in town too late to meet Phog Allen. I'd like to know what he thinks of how basketball has changed since he was coaching.

he_who_knows_all 3 years, 9 months ago

Learn to spell his name corrrectly if you ever meet him. Jacque Vaughn.

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

Why? If I meet him & shout, "Hi, Jacque! J-A-C-Q-U-E!" will he give me a dollar?

looza 3 years, 9 months ago

Greg Dreiling......What a stiff!

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

This is easy. It just means you don't have your cast iron skillet handy for immediate use, be it for roasting coffee beans or for self defense.

2 cents please.

mae 3 years, 9 months ago

ku crew, wow. i was going to say phog but you have me there, i'd give anything to talk to that one rower i knew back in the day.

memories....

trinity 3 years, 9 months ago

ya robbed me TOB that was my answer!!! :) TJ, TJ, TJ, TJ, TJ....

MarchSadness 3 years, 9 months ago

Paul Pierce. I'd ask him why he dislikes KU now and never comes back to visit campus.

thesloss 3 years, 9 months ago

Probably Tracey Estes ... she was an outstanding shortstop on the softball team ... hilarious, talented, and just darn smart. I remember one day she was driving to practice ... Her old Rambler's windshield wipers were operated by a string. Well, heading south down the hill from Jayhawk bookstore operating the windshield wiper string ... the whistle blew, students everywhere, NO BRAKES. ; O ... veered into the bushes. A few engineering students rushed to her, "Are you OK?". Tracey enthusiastically replied, "Just push me out of the gosh darn bushes ... I'm late for practice!"

Ahhh, the good old days ... always an antic or a story with that one! Wonder where she is?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

Dr. James Naismith, about our faith.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

I was just wondering about cheerleaders. If so, I'd like to catch up with Parmalee Bates.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Mario Little. I want to see what a real tough guy looks like up close. You know, the kind that can beat up women less than half his size.

VTHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

He isn't accused of "beating up women" (assault), he pushed a couple people to try to get at another. Stupid--yes; Assault on women--no

1southernjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Got to meet Al Oerter in 2007 when he spoke to a group in Florida. Class act and an incredible record of competition.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

I always wear my cleanest dirty shirt when I go out among 'em!

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 9 months ago

I'd love to have another few hours to talk to Bob Frederick.

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

Emery Hicks from the '68 Orange Bowl Team. Full tilt, fiery dude. A real character & an awesome linebacker.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Talib Aquib. I hear he has the good stuff.

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

I worked at the Dairy Queen when Riggins played ball here. One 95 degree day after spring practice, he shows up, sweating like a stuck pigskin, & orders a 32 oz. chocolate/hot fudge milkshake. He downs it really fast & gets that whole massive ice cream headache thing goin' on.
Then Johnny steps back up to the window & orders another one & does it all over again. He did that five times. I kid you not. It took him, maybe, 20 or 30 minutes. I had the hose ready for the parking lot, but JR kept it all down. And it only cost $2.50 plus tax!

Mary Darst 3 years, 9 months ago

Paul Pierce. In Boston at the Garden. I don't really need to talk to him, just looking at him will do. Going to the Garden would be way up on my Bucket List..

Linda Aikins 3 years, 9 months ago

He's dead autie. Died of cancer. :(

Linda Aikins 3 years, 9 months ago

David Aikins from the famous 1969 Orange Bowl. Oh wait, I already do. never mind.

riverdrifter 3 years, 9 months ago

I'd like to see Riggo again. He came pheasant hunting with us in 1980 when he sat the season out under a contract dispute. We limited out 3 straight days and he said he'd be back for sure. Haven't seen him since but we've still got a bunk reserved for him. We still tell stories about that night at the Stagecoach Inn when the lady bartender came up to him and said "You eastern Kansas people can't come out here and act like this." John said "Who's acting?"...

VTHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Fantastic. I hear that he was quite a character. "Loosen up, Sandy baby"

Erin Graham 3 years, 9 months ago

Sasha Kaun, hands down. Although I didn't know him, several friends did. He sounded like a class act, with normal daily things.... Gracious and willing to help others. I would want to converse with him b/c he's extraordinarily intelligent, well rounded and could talk more than sports.

volunteer 3 years, 9 months ago

Made in China, Gayle Sayers did not seem capable of much intelligent conversation when Perkins handed him the microphone at halftime of that football game. (Are we now just trotting him out for fundraisers instead of allowing him to speak?)

I'll go with the Phog. I'd like to know what he would think of his descendants getting kicked out of the good seats because they aren't wealthy.