Previous   Next

What KU sports figure, all-time, would you most like to have a conversation with?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 17, 2010

Browse the archives

“Jim Ryun. I’ve always been a runner and looked up to him. ”

“Bill Self. He’s probably my favorite coach. He just seems like a classy guy. ”

“James Naismith, the father of basketball. ”

“Probably Jeff Boschee. I had a huge crush on him. I had a poster of him in my room in third grade.”

Comments

volunteer 3 years, 4 months ago

Made in China, Gayle Sayers did not seem capable of much intelligent conversation when Perkins handed him the microphone at halftime of that football game. (Are we now just trotting him out for fundraisers instead of allowing him to speak?)

I'll go with the Phog. I'd like to know what he would think of his descendants getting kicked out of the good seats because they aren't wealthy.

Erin Graham 3 years, 4 months ago

Sasha Kaun, hands down. Although I didn't know him, several friends did. He sounded like a class act, with normal daily things.... Gracious and willing to help others. I would want to converse with him b/c he's extraordinarily intelligent, well rounded and could talk more than sports.

riverdrifter 3 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to see Riggo again. He came pheasant hunting with us in 1980 when he sat the season out under a contract dispute. We limited out 3 straight days and he said he'd be back for sure. Haven't seen him since but we've still got a bunk reserved for him. We still tell stories about that night at the Stagecoach Inn when the lady bartender came up to him and said "You eastern Kansas people can't come out here and act like this." John said "Who's acting?"...

Gootsie 3 years, 4 months ago

David Aikins from the famous 1969 Orange Bowl. Oh wait, I already do. never mind.

Starlight 3 years, 4 months ago

Dr. James Naismith. I'd ask him about his Saturday Night Club and my great grandfather(a club member). I bet he knew my great great grandfather too!

Paul R Getto 3 years, 4 months ago

Good list: Gayle Sayers -- I played church league softball with him for a few games. Bobby Douglas -- saw him a few times.......arrogant IMHO Nolan Cromwell ............ cool dude Phog Allen ...... My dad knew him some; Pop even had a PE class taught by The James Naismith back in the 1930's I would like to punch Jim Ryan. I would knock his goofy butt out. === Don't punch Jim; he's a man of god.....Mammon I believe.

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

Emery Hicks? Last I heard of him he was back down in the nations..Nowata? I think...less than stellar adult life after football.

Mary Darst 3 years, 4 months ago

Paul Pierce. In Boston at the Garden. I don't really need to talk to him, just looking at him will do. Going to the Garden would be way up on my Bucket List..

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

Although Bob Dylan is my idol and the greatest American musician of all time, I'm not sure if I want to meet him or not. There would be a lot of walking on egg shells. He might not be a very nice person. "We’d have more in common if we went out fishing and said nothing. It would be a more valuable experience than sitting around and talking. -Bob Dyaln

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to know hy Bill Mayer still has this bitter animosity toward people like Larry Brown and Greg Ostertag. I always have this image of him when Larry left, hovered over his Royal typewriter, trembling, sweat running down his beet-red face, glasses crooked. It's kinda funny.

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

Okay, I can't help it. Wilt Chamberlain was a legend. But does any woman REALLY want to be with a freakish 7 foot tall dude with proportionately-sized parts of the anatomy? I mean, come on, I know size matters but that's just ridiculous.

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

I worked at the Dairy Queen when Riggins played ball here. One 95 degree day after spring practice, he shows up, sweating like a stuck pigskin, & orders a 32 oz. chocolate/hot fudge milkshake. He downs it really fast & gets that whole massive ice cream headache thing goin' on.
Then Johnny steps back up to the window & orders another one & does it all over again. He did that five times. I kid you not. It took him, maybe, 20 or 30 minutes. I had the hose ready for the parking lot, but JR kept it all down. And it only cost $2.50 plus tax!

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

Is Zack a Russian U-Boat Captain? I'd like to see Al Bohl do a re-enactment of his speech where he said Roy held him in his hand and crushed him like a dove. In hindsight, Al was pretty cool. He had a jovial, bee-boppin' yard sale at hsi house before he left town. And hey, did we really want an AD named Bubba?

TopJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Talib Aquib. I hear he has the good stuff.

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

Emery Hicks from the '68 Orange Bowl Team. Full tilt, fiery dude. A real character & an awesome linebacker.

g_rock 3 years, 4 months ago

I would like to borrow Mario Little when I go pick up my car today. I won't want to pay for what they effed up. I figured the treat of a little smack around would help?

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

Donnie Von Moore. My all time fave player at KU. I have a basketball from about 1979 signed by the whole team. Donnie wrote a short message. I think he's coaching in Chicago now.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 4 months ago

I'd love to have another few hours to talk to Bob Frederick.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

Well fornicate me running...

"But that still doesn’t explain the origin of the word … According to a 1940 article in the journal American Speech, Time Magazine coined the term “Pinko-liberal” in 1926 when describing a campus newspaper at the University of Kansas called The Dove. The Dove had featured correspondence between a Japanese exchange student and his friend in Japan. “Thanks to The Dove, pinko-liberal journal of campus opinion at the University of Kansas, a small part of the world last week learned some inner workings of a Japanese college boy,” the Time article said."

MacHeath 3 years, 4 months ago

One dude that will talk to you, if you see him around....and is full of stories, is Coach Fambrough. You would probably have more fun talking to him than anyone.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

I always wear my cleanest dirty shirt when I go out among 'em!

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

but don't you show up in no tattered and torn T shirt.....by god...I know your momma raised you up better than that.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

Roed, That is what happens when you don't have AT&T. You get the invite to the bat polishing party late.

BABBOY 3 years, 4 months ago

Galye Sayers

Bobby Douglas

Nolan Cronwell

Phog Allen

Al Orter

I would like to punch Jim Ryan. I would knock his goofy butt out.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

What is the longest escalator handrail you have ever ridden?

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Mario Little. I want to see what a real tough guy looks like up close. You know, the kind that can beat up women less than half his size.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

mae, thuja, What years was your KU crew chick around?

CWGOKU 3 years, 4 months ago

Do cheerleaders count as sports figures?

Phog Allen

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

Dr. James Naismith, about our faith.

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, what I heard anyway, was that basketball players strive to beat the shot clock whereas baseball players are always ready to go into extra innings if needed.

thesloss 3 years, 4 months ago

Probably Tracey Estes ... she was an outstanding shortstop on the softball team ... hilarious, talented, and just darn smart. I remember one day she was driving to practice ... Her old Rambler's windshield wipers were operated by a string. Well, heading south down the hill from Jayhawk bookstore operating the windshield wiper string ... the whistle blew, students everywhere, NO BRAKES. ; O ... veered into the bushes. A few engineering students rushed to her, "Are you OK?". Tracey enthusiastically replied, "Just push me out of the gosh darn bushes ... I'm late for practice!"

Ahhh, the good old days ... always an antic or a story with that one! Wonder where she is?

MarchSadness 3 years, 4 months ago

Paul Pierce. I'd ask him why he dislikes KU now and never comes back to visit campus.

prospector 3 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self says lawyers are horrible, horrible people.

trinity 3 years, 4 months ago

ya robbed me TOB that was my answer!!! :) TJ, TJ, TJ, TJ, TJ....

prospector 3 years, 4 months ago

John "loosen up, Sandy baby." Riggins

Jim Ryun! Bosh! Better have your checkbook or better yet cash ready. That loser don't talk until you fill his outstretched bony hand. If you give him enough, he might start speaking in tongues.

thuja 3 years, 4 months ago

I have fond memories of a beautiful and supple KU crew chick too. What is going on?

mae 3 years, 4 months ago

ku crew, wow. i was going to say phog but you have me there, i'd give anything to talk to that one rower i knew back in the day.

memories....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

Not sure, maybe some KU crew chick.
Probably ask her the meaning of this dream:

A zombie apocalypse is in full swing.
I am out of coffee.
I have to make my way from here to Guatemala slaying hundreds and hundreds of zombies to pick my own beans. I start roasting beans on top of my Optimus 8R in a small pot. I can smell the aromatic wonderful smells that waft through the hills, attracting not only walkers, but a group of survivors. A melee ensues, the mixing of zombies and survivors, and I barely make it away with my life and a big bag of green coffee beans. But my trusty 1954 Optimus 8R stove was left behind. Now to roast coffee, I have the option of making a pop can stove and burning rum as a fuel, putting a crimp in my enjoyment of mojitios, or attempting to retrieve my stove. Do I go back? Can I trust any of the survivors to be non-infected? Can I trust any of the survivors at all? How long will approximately 37 pounds of green coffee beans last me? Having enough ammo is a non-issue, I am well stocked.

looza 3 years, 4 months ago

Greg Dreiling......What a stiff!

Bill Lee 3 years, 4 months ago

I've already had conversations with a lot of my KU favorites, but I arrived in town too late to meet Phog Allen. I'd like to know what he thinks of how basketball has changed since he was coaching.

grammaddy 3 years, 4 months ago

Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain. I want to know if he really is the bio-dad of one of my friends.

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

HWMNBN. He was on the trunk jumping team back in the early seventies. I would want to know if it got hot in those car trunks.

labmonkey 3 years, 4 months ago

Chamberlain....gotta learn how to pick up chicks.