Previous   Next

What is your favorite holiday song?

Asked at Borders, 700 New Hampshire St. on December 11, 2010

Browse the archives

“‘Wonderful Christmas Time’ by Paul McCartney.””

“‘Carol of the Bells.’”

“I’m sick of holiday songs already.”

“‘Silent Night.’”

Comments

gphawk89 3 years, 4 months ago

My favorite holiday song is "Here comes Peter Cottontail". My favorite CHRISTMAS song is "Silent Night".

Bill Lee 3 years, 4 months ago

"Merry Christmas, Darling" by the Carpenters.

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years, 4 months ago

"Santa Claus and His Old Lady" by Cheech and Chong

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

"Rebel Jesus" by Jackson Browne Very close runner up, "Fairytale of New York" by Shane McGowan and the Pogues. Kirsty MacColl is the female vocal in the most famous version of it. She passed away several years ago and he's done it subsequently with Cait O'Riordan and some others; it tends to change since Kirsty is gone. I was shocked to find out that Maire Brennan did a version with Ronan Keating; the lyrics have several "naughty words" in them (including the infamous Anglo-Saxon "eff" word so dear to the heart of the Irish) and Maire is a heavy duty Christian.

schula 3 years, 4 months ago

Silver Bells -- doesn't matter who sings it

booyalab 3 years, 4 months ago

Vince Guaraldi Trio - O Tannenbaum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw6h4m...

Bing Crosby - Mele Kalikimaka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEvGKU...

Elvis - Blue Christmas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkjxln...

Still Still Still http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZuRyz...

stille nacht http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6gnRv... (this one I'm adding as much for the video footage, so much to mention...the earring, the awkward choir director, the stern German-ness of the guy at the end)

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

"A Basement Boy Christmas".

Handcuffs and Gagballs Under the Tree, Roofies and Leather, All for Me.

ndmoderate 3 years, 4 months ago

"Grandma Got Molested at the Airport," via Bob and Tom; or

"The Most Offensive Christmas Song Ever," via South Park. (might have one or two words wrong in this title...just too lazy to look it up right now)

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

Every song on "Christmas in the Heart", Bob Dylan's album from last year. Oh, the soft, soothing sounds of his voice. Plus, he's Jewish. Too cool!

Illini 3 years, 4 months ago

The Glee version of "Baby, it's cold outside."

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

Least favorite? “‘Wonderful Christmas Time’ by Paul McCartney. Geeyak! Anything by Mariah Carey. And Band Aid - "Do They Know its Christmas". Oh yeah, Bono. You go girl. Perfect time to make everyone feel bad about starving people in Africa. Just shut the hell up and sing "One". Oh, and a badly needed footnote: It's pronounced Boh-no, not Bah-no. His original moniker was Bono Vox, latin for good voice. The whole Bah-no thing is how an Irish person might pronounce it. But it's still annoying.

deec 3 years, 4 months ago

It used to be "O Holy Night" until that time a few years ago when we were driving home from Mom's house while singing it and hit the deer. Now it's "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer".

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

My personal favorite is "O Holy Night". But I also have to go with "Little Drummer Boy" with David Bowie and Bing Crosby. It was a touching, bittersweet moment. Sort of the "old" stepping aside and ushering in the "new". Bing was dying when they taped that. By the time it aired on TV, he was gone.

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

You might as well give up on going all PC at Christmas. It's obvious from the answers during the past week that holiday=Christmas to most people. There's nothing exclusive about the word Christmas. I have my own faith and beliefs, as most people do, but I think Christmas has come to mean a time when we're kind to each other, truly a time of good cheer. I dare you to use the word, just once, in the question between now and Dec.25.

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

“I’m sick of holiday songs already.”

It's a known fact that serial killers hate holiday songs.

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

I'll go with Roe on this one. And hey kids, don't forget to bring a towel along.

labmonkey 3 years, 4 months ago

O' Holy Night is about the only Christmas song I like.

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

Cheer up, Nick, you've only got two more weeks of it!

My favorite is O Holy Night.

Kenny Nall 3 years, 4 months ago

Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto - James Brown

always4ever 3 years, 4 months ago

The duet by David Bowie and Bing Crosby - Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy.

hitme 3 years, 4 months ago

"Please Come Home For Christmas" by The Eagles I don't mind the flip side once or twice per year, "Funky New Year."

nobody1793 3 years, 4 months ago

"Wonderful" by the Circle Jerks.