Previous   Next

How much do you usually pay for electricity each month?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 10, 2010

Browse the archives

“About 50 dollars. ”

“Ninety bucks.”

“About $100 a month, more in the summer.”

“Somewhere between $125 in the winter to $300 in the summer.”

Comments

average 3 years, 4 months ago

Roughly $80 in the peak of the summer. $60s in the depth of winter (furnace fan, plus using a tumble dryer some). $35-$40 in the shoulders. Big savings... whole house fans for ventilation. A window AC besides the house unit, if we just need to AC one bedroom to sleep in deep summer, and clotheslines most of the year rather than running a dryer.

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

During the summer, with the a/c and ceiling fans, it's about $65.00. During the months without a/c or furnance running, it's $32.00. What I hate is the Sunflower Broadband costs for cable and internet service. Should probably go with a cheaper dial up service and get rid of the cable; not much worth watching these days as it is.

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

R_I....estimates on our guidon is upwards of 2 million dollars...I don't reckon my troop will be carrying that one anymore.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 4 months ago

I have mine on the "level pay" plan where they try to average it out throughout the year, so I pay about $35-$40/month. It's more expensive than my gas bill, which was kind of a surprise to me. (I lived in a place where utilities were included in the rent for a long time, until last year.)

Kat Christian 3 years, 4 months ago

One & half times more than when I moved in this house almost 4 years ago.

mcmandy 3 years, 4 months ago

I like to make a "ca-ching" noise every time I shut off a light, TV, computer, etc....cracks my husband up AND helps him remember to turn off things he's not using.

gccs14r 3 years, 4 months ago

Mine ranges from $22 to $72 per month. Gas ranges from $25 to $153. Water/sewer/trash ranges from $45-$70. I'd flip out if I got a $300 electric bill.

CWGOKU 3 years, 4 months ago

We usually go through about 3 hamsters a month to produce our electricity on the treadmill.

Off to buy the wife's Christmas gifts. One stop shopping at Quick Trip.

independant1 3 years, 4 months ago

Need to figure out how to sell some of the excess heat generated from wood burning stove, now we just open the window a bit to lower temperature to comfortable level.

Electric? $115/mo

jojogate 3 years, 4 months ago

my electric is cheaper in the winter, but Gas bill is enormous! Summer electric runs about $160, winter it is about $50. Gas in the summer is $20 or less, winter is about $230 per month.

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 4 months ago

get a geothermal heating/cooling system. Got one this fall; your electrical goes up, but my natural gas bill is nearly non-existent. Also get tax write offs XD

bobberboy 3 years, 4 months ago

P.S. it was only half that much last year. They came out and put in a new meter and said I had'nt been paying enough. Does this sound strange to anyone but me ?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

I pay dollars. dollars, and dollars.

but actually I think I'm paying in yuan now.

I'm so glad we can always count on Merrillito to post his usual maunderings that sprawl across numerous topics. that, while he uses polluting motors for his small business, opposes driving altogether.

somehow can we figger out how to generate electricity from Merrill's cut-and-pasties?

bobberboy 3 years, 4 months ago

$250 in July $150 in October for a 1400 sq.'ft. house well insulated. Air cond at 76 Heat @ 66 Can someone tell me - does this sound about right ?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

prospector, Seriously, I just finished negotiating with God's gas distributor. Everything is negotiable. Everything.

prospector 3 years, 4 months ago

Utility's are horrible, horrible companies full of horrible, horrible lawyers.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 4 months ago

I could eat an entire block of haberno jack in one sitting.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

prospector, Everything is negotiable...

prospector 3 years, 4 months ago

I usually pay the amount they ask for.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 4 months ago

The more juice we use the more Westar will charge. Westar refused to buy our local hydro power. So now we must continue to pay for high CEO salaries,golden parachutes,special interest campaign money,maybe corporate jets plus accept coal fired toxic air pollution. I believe taxpayers are on the hook insuring coal fired plants whoaaaaaaa what a deal.

"For real. How is the "sewage fee" always 2-3 times as much as the actual water I pay for?"

1. Inflated Property values are dropping = loss in tax dollar revenue = gotta make up the loss somehow
  2. Planning for the $100 million new sewage treatment plant for developers.. it's on the table = local big government corporate welfare
  3. Planning for new lines to the airport,new annexation etc etc = local big government corporate welfare

Annexation is a tax increase .... something to remember. Which may never pay back= local big government corporate welfare

Since when did anyone believe that growth comes for free certainly not as long as existing property owners are around to be quietly tapped.

Side note: With growth comes more criminal activity = larger and larger law enforcement budget. Criminals don't pay their fair share so guess what it's back to all of us taxpayers.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

autie, Your flag being auctioned today...

TheWhirl 3 years, 4 months ago

Too much! It's ridiculous what the energy companies get away with!

raginredhead 3 years, 4 months ago

Have no idea. Big Daddy takes care of the bills.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 4 months ago

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Dylan has been a wind energy supporter since '62.

LogicMan 3 years, 4 months ago

Despite using less and less, I'm paying more and more.

nobody1793 3 years, 4 months ago

Firsterest. None of yer darn business.

Tomorrow's OTS: What is your PIN number?

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

Too much, but not as much as the "sewage fee" on the city water bill.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

an arm and a leg. kinda like attorneys. real attorneys