Previous   Next

How much do you usually pay for electricity each month?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 10, 2010

Browse the archives

“About 50 dollars. ”

“Ninety bucks.”

“About $100 a month, more in the summer.”

“Somewhere between $125 in the winter to $300 in the summer.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

an arm and a leg. kinda like attorneys. real attorneys

grammaddy 3 years, 8 months ago

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 8 months ago

I would really, really like to know that too.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 8 months ago

Here is what I was told. The fine city of lawrence calculates the sewer bill by monitoring the water use in November, December and January ( note these are the major holiday months) from that combined total of those three months they set a average use for the whole year The sewer average is roughly half of the peak average from those three months. We knew it was a snake when we picked it up.

littlexav 3 years, 8 months ago

You can contact the city and switch to actual monthly use. My neighbors did it because it made more sense based on their usage, but when we called it would have been MORE expensive for us to use monthly. But they can tell you when you call.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 8 months ago

The sewer fee is based on the average amount of water you use in December, January and February. They choose those three months because they're typically the lowest for water usage, because no one is watering plants or yards. Last year, I believe, they based the water usage only on the February reading, because there was snow on the ground over most meters. But that may vary from location to location.

Anyway, more on this FAQ from the city:

Amy Heeter 3 years, 8 months ago

I water plants all year round( course they are inside), but the holidays is when I most often have company for extened periods. So that equals more laundry, more toilet flushing, more showers...

nobody1793 3 years, 8 months ago

Firsterest. None of yer darn business.

Tomorrow's OTS: What is your PIN number?

LogicMan 3 years, 8 months ago

Despite using less and less, I'm paying more and more.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

Ditto, the more I try, the more I pay.

raginredhead 3 years, 8 months ago

Have no idea. Big Daddy takes care of the bills.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 8 months ago

The more juice we use the more Westar will charge. Westar refused to buy our local hydro power. So now we must continue to pay for high CEO salaries,golden parachutes,special interest campaign money,maybe corporate jets plus accept coal fired toxic air pollution. I believe taxpayers are on the hook insuring coal fired plants whoaaaaaaa what a deal.

"For real. How is the "sewage fee" always 2-3 times as much as the actual water I pay for?"

1. Inflated Property values are dropping = loss in tax dollar revenue = gotta make up the loss somehow
  2. Planning for the $100 million new sewage treatment plant for developers.. it's on the table = local big government corporate welfare
  3. Planning for new lines to the airport,new annexation etc etc = local big government corporate welfare

Annexation is a tax increase .... something to remember. Which may never pay back= local big government corporate welfare

Since when did anyone believe that growth comes for free certainly not as long as existing property owners are around to be quietly tapped.

Side note: With growth comes more criminal activity = larger and larger law enforcement budget. Criminals don't pay their fair share so guess what it's back to all of us taxpayers.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

"With growth comes more criminal activity..." The current residents of east Lawrence seem to be providing as much criminal activity as we can handle these days.

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 8 months ago

from Osceola cheese! Best place to get cheese in Missoura!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 8 months ago

I pay dollars. dollars, and dollars.

but actually I think I'm paying in yuan now.

I'm so glad we can always count on Merrillito to post his usual maunderings that sprawl across numerous topics. that, while he uses polluting motors for his small business, opposes driving altogether.

somehow can we figger out how to generate electricity from Merrill's cut-and-pasties?

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 8 months ago

get a geothermal heating/cooling system. Got one this fall; your electrical goes up, but my natural gas bill is nearly non-existent. Also get tax write offs XD

Johnna Feugate 3 years, 8 months ago

my electric is cheaper in the winter, but Gas bill is enormous! Summer electric runs about $160, winter it is about $50. Gas in the summer is $20 or less, winter is about $230 per month.

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

Need to figure out how to sell some of the excess heat generated from wood burning stove, now we just open the window a bit to lower temperature to comfortable level.

Electric? $115/mo

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

cept if one counts the gas for chain saw and pickup to haul the firewood.

gccs14r 3 years, 8 months ago

Mine ranges from $22 to $72 per month. Gas ranges from $25 to $153. Water/sewer/trash ranges from $45-$70. I'd flip out if I got a $300 electric bill.

mcmandy 3 years, 8 months ago

I like to make a "ca-ching" noise every time I shut off a light, TV, computer, etc....cracks my husband up AND helps him remember to turn off things he's not using.

Kat Christian 3 years, 8 months ago

One & half times more than when I moved in this house almost 4 years ago.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 8 months ago

I have mine on the "level pay" plan where they try to average it out throughout the year, so I pay about $35-$40/month. It's more expensive than my gas bill, which was kind of a surprise to me. (I lived in a place where utilities were included in the rent for a long time, until last year.)

earline james 3 years, 8 months ago

I took that option, too. My electric runs $67 a month. Of course, I have all these grow lights (trying to keep my plants alive) going all winter (and space heaters) - and several fans going in the summer (in addition to the ac) so $67 a month it is. My gas bill averages to $27 a month. Of course, my thermostat is set at 68 degrees right now. I wear layers. And socks. What gets me is the phone bill - $50 a month for a single land line phone. With all the cell phones and whatnot, I would think the old timey phones would be much cheaper now.

kernal 3 years, 8 months ago

I think basic land line with AT&T, without long distance, is $15.00 a month.

kernal 3 years, 8 months ago

During the summer, with the a/c and ceiling fans, it's about $65.00. During the months without a/c or furnance running, it's $32.00. What I hate is the Sunflower Broadband costs for cable and internet service. Should probably go with a cheaper dial up service and get rid of the cable; not much worth watching these days as it is.

average 3 years, 8 months ago

Roughly $80 in the peak of the summer. $60s in the depth of winter (furnace fan, plus using a tumble dryer some). $35-$40 in the shoulders. Big savings... whole house fans for ventilation. A window AC besides the house unit, if we just need to AC one bedroom to sleep in deep summer, and clotheslines most of the year rather than running a dryer.