Previous   Next

Do you own a printed dictionary?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 31, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, I always have.”

“Yes, it’s always handy.”

“No, I had one and I think I lost it.”

“No, I just use online dictionaries.”

Comments

budwhysir 3 years, 7 months ago

A what? I dont print much anymore, cursive is more my style of writting

beatrice 3 years, 7 months ago

Of course. What fun is Scrabble using the computer?

Starlight 3 years, 7 months ago

I still have and use the 1969 American Heritage given me by Neal and Lulu Wherry. I more frequently use http://www.merriam-webster.com/home.htm.

AnonymousBosch 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I have at least one dictionary, plus thesaurus, and several English-foreign language dictionaries. We don't really need hard copies of these any more since there are good ones on the internet. Too bad that most people who use online dictionaries use unreliable ones.

"Free" knowledge articles/materials on the internet but not in press anywhere usually means "no one would pay to see it or print it," so we should always be skeptical of "free" resources (I'm looking at you, Wikipedia, among others)!

booyalab 3 years, 7 months ago

I have a Webster's unabridged dictionary with over 2000 pages that was published the year I was born (1983). It's really cool. It's got a bunch of miscellaneous references in the back, like the charter to the UN, the constitution, and various geographical resources. I've had it since I was little, and I use it too......except when I'm online.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

I threw one at a car last night. Man, that guy was pissed.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Actually I don't need a dictionary. I just ask Reticent Irreverent. Dude has an impeccable vocabulary. I think he may even know words that haven't been defined yet.

John Spencer 3 years, 7 months ago

Did anyone else notice the "Lack of dictionary to Bug-eye sunglasses" ratio?

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

I did, but I got desparate and used it for rolling papers. I'd like to see the internet and cell phone reception go down for about 2 days. The human race would implode on itself. I'd by sittng in my unabomber cabin laughing my head off.

Norma Jeane Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

Yup. English and English/Spanish for me. Heck, I even have a few thesauruses. I also use the internet, but can't rely on always having power & internet available.

prospector 3 years, 7 months ago

I doubt knead won whiff spill chunk.

JJE007 3 years, 7 months ago

Dictionaries are my favorite books. Search engines are fun, too.

BABBOY 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes. I use the internet but I have a hard copy as well.

gphawk89 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes. A Webster and an American Heritage. Haven't opened them in years now since everything's available on the 'net. But they're there, along with all of my KU textbooks, just in case... Actually the Webster has a really good grammar / punctuation section in the back that I refer to from time to time. Some of the posters here should do the same (slam).

jonas_opines 3 years, 7 months ago

Not a regular one, but I have English to Japanese, English to Spanish, and English to Chinese.

CWGOKU 3 years, 7 months ago

Of course I have one. Actually more like three. What if the net goes down or the power out. I like real books and read alot. I wonder who will be driving the MU team bus to games? Do they have a D.D.?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

Somewhere I've copies of Partridge's Dictionary of Slang and Bierce's Devil's Dictionary. Those count, don't they?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 7 months ago

Not only do I have a dictionary, I have an Oxford English Dictionary, complete with magnifying glass.

Kontum1972 3 years, 7 months ago

i keep a small one in my briefcase,,,,u can borrow it sometime ...Adriana...

autie 3 years, 7 months ago

of course. A big ole Webster's. Now, how do you think all the recent arrest will affect MU's chances on the football field? Do all these DWI's make Gary Pinkel want to tinkle?

g_rock 3 years, 7 months ago

They don't make a print version of urbandictionary.com

Bill Lee 3 years, 7 months ago

Haven't seen a need since the fire.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

Ever since I was a kitling. There is something tactile, real, about flipping the bible paper pages of a dictionary.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 7 months ago

dikshunary 4 sail...cheep,,,, naevver usedes

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Yep! Haven't opened it in years. With three computers in the house I can check spelling or meanings of words quicker than it would take to find the dictionary. It's getting old enough that most of today's vocabulary probably isn't in it.