Previous   Next

Do you own a printed dictionary?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 31, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, I always have.”

“Yes, it’s always handy.”

“No, I had one and I think I lost it.”

“No, I just use online dictionaries.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Yep! Haven't opened it in years. With three computers in the house I can check spelling or meanings of words quicker than it would take to find the dictionary. It's getting old enough that most of today's vocabulary probably isn't in it.

grammaddy 4 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. Mine holds up the bottom shelf of the computer desk.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 3 months ago

dikshunary 4 sail...cheep,,,, naevver usedes

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

i keep a small one in my briefcase,,,,u can borrow it sometime ...Adriana...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 3 months ago

Not only do I have a dictionary, I have an Oxford English Dictionary, complete with magnifying glass.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Somewhere I've copies of Partridge's Dictionary of Slang and Bierce's Devil's Dictionary. Those count, don't they?

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

if teh net gose down i kin stil tauk cuzin . . .

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

Not a regular one, but I have English to Japanese, English to Spanish, and English to Chinese.

Practicality 4 years, 3 months ago

I have an English to Texas one and an English to New Jersey one myself.

gphawk89 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes. A Webster and an American Heritage. Haven't opened them in years now since everything's available on the 'net. But they're there, along with all of my KU textbooks, just in case... Actually the Webster has a really good grammar / punctuation section in the back that I refer to from time to time. Some of the posters here should do the same (slam).

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 3 months ago

Dictionaries are my favorite books. Search engines are fun, too.

John Spencer 4 years, 3 months ago

Did anyone else notice the "Lack of dictionary to Bug-eye sunglasses" ratio?

booyalab 4 years, 3 months ago

I have a Webster's unabridged dictionary with over 2000 pages that was published the year I was born (1983). It's really cool. It's got a bunch of miscellaneous references in the back, like the charter to the UN, the constitution, and various geographical resources. I've had it since I was little, and I use it too......except when I'm online.

AnonymousBosch 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I have at least one dictionary, plus thesaurus, and several English-foreign language dictionaries. We don't really need hard copies of these any more since there are good ones on the internet. Too bad that most people who use online dictionaries use unreliable ones.

"Free" knowledge articles/materials on the internet but not in press anywhere usually means "no one would pay to see it or print it," so we should always be skeptical of "free" resources (I'm looking at you, Wikipedia, among others)!

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Of course. What fun is Scrabble using the computer?

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

A what? I dont print much anymore, cursive is more my style of writting