Previous   Next

Would you ever consider acupuncture for your pet?

Asked at Lawrence Farmers’ Market, downtown Lawrence on August 30, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, I just think it’s a little outlandish for a pet.”

“I would if they were having a health issue that could not be solved traditionally.”

“No, I think it’s stupid.”

“Probably not. I wouldn’t even consider it for myself.”

Related story

Comments

hedshrinker 3 years, 7 months ago

Jokes about animal neglect/cruelty/torture/murder aren't funny;I find that "humor" that diminishes others, especially ones that can't speak for themselves, reflects very badly on the speaker, same mentality as bullies. Comments about a now generally accepted practice for symptom reduction for humans and other animals likewise reflect the speakers' ignorance. There are well-respected acupuncture practitioners in Lawrence for both people and pets; I've used both and saw remarkable improvement. Acupuncture is a highly sophisticated science that has a demonstrated track record in other cultures. There seems to be an epidemic of fear and hatred related to any person or practice that is different from narrowly defined "American" lately; SO sad.

terrapin2 3 years, 7 months ago

Your post was actually funny notajayhawk. I do have a sense of humor. I work with cats so I'm well aware of the entertainment value acupuncture could provide when attempted on "certain" cats.

terrapin2 3 years, 7 months ago

Wow- pure genius animal lovers you all are. People actually do acupuncture on their pets regularly and see unbelievable results. Arthritis and many other conditions can be treated with acupuncture just like in people. Whether you want to throw down the bucks to do it is up to you. Everyone treats their pets differently and places a different value on them. It is not torture (in fact it doesn't hurt at all), there is no blood, and it has an amazing calming effect on them. It is a wonderful alternative to medications that can have side effects on the liver and kidneys. If it didn't work, people would not do it.

riverdrifter 3 years, 7 months ago

I'd like to see somebody try to give acupuncture to my 80lb lab bitch.

She'd turn into the you-know-what from hell.

pace 3 years, 7 months ago

Of course you can get otc surgeries. I am vacationing in Peru.

jonas_opines 3 years, 7 months ago

" IF it isn't manufactured and sold at a counter I can't believe it would work."

I was unaware that you could get OTC checkups and surgeries. That's neat!

pace 3 years, 7 months ago

oh, different medical practice, It scares me. IF it isn't manufactured and sold at a counter I can't believe it would work. I only buy what the ads tell me to buy. The ads are my god and my reasoning. If it don't have a jingle, it don't give me a tingle. Please show me the commercial that tells me it might help my sweet old dog and then I will try it. Forget science, just sing me madison ave. jive.

snoozey 3 years, 7 months ago

No, but if my ex develops a serious illness it will be my first choice of treatment options!

beatrice 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes. In fact, my pet porcupine loves it!

notajayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I think it would be worth the money for the entertainment value watching someone try to poke one of my cats with sharp objects - and seeing which one of them bleeds more. It may or may not help the cat, but the acupuncturist is definitely in for a trip to the emergency room.

CWGOKU 3 years, 7 months ago

No I wonder if Dieter's relatives came to Peru at the end of 1945

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 7 months ago

A Craftsman high speed drill with a 1/64th carbide drill works pretty good. After 30 minutes of cranial therapy, all the pain apparently is gone. But I've only treated cats.

jonas_opines 3 years, 7 months ago

Nah, I'd just rather give them a sugar pill if we're going after placebo effects. Cheaper.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 7 months ago

Right after he gets back from his annual holistic mud spa vaca in Taos.

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 7 months ago

There was a turkish guy in town who practiced some form of acupuncture on pets a couple of years ago. He was one of KU's foreign students, a fine example of the type immigrant the liberal elite on the hill like to bring here. It didn't seem to cure the pets though.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

So NuWave Oven or the Xpress Redi-Set-Go?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 7 months ago

I had some habenero cheese this weekend. Quite good.

prospector 3 years, 7 months ago

Why torture the dog? I would not even do it to myself.

dajudge 3 years, 7 months ago

It cured the paralysis in the back legs of my beagle dog. So, with that, a resounding Yes!

yankeevet 3 years, 7 months ago

Never used it on my dog; but did try it on the X...................yowwwwwwwwwww!!

g_rock 3 years, 7 months ago

The only pet I have is the mutant cricket that lives behind the couch because he knows I'm too lazy to move it to get him. And no, I'm not spending money to poke at him. I'd rather do that myself.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 7 months ago

Yep, if my fish say it's okay

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

No, but somebody has been practicing it on my cat. sometimes they even use staples. She hasn't been sick in years though.

psycho_theclown 3 years, 7 months ago

Sure, I've practiced it for years. You don't have to use needles either; a staple gun works just swell for some aliments. It cured my neighbors cat of climbonmycaritis.