Previous   Next

Would you ever consider acupuncture for your pet?

Asked at Lawrence Farmers’ Market, downtown Lawrence on August 30, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, I just think it’s a little outlandish for a pet.”

“I would if they were having a health issue that could not be solved traditionally.”

“No, I think it’s stupid.”

“Probably not. I wouldn’t even consider it for myself.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years ago

No, but somebody has been practicing it on my cat. sometimes they even use staples. She hasn't been sick in years though.

Chris Ogle 4 years ago

Yep, if my fish say it's okay

Mary Darst 4 years ago

Are you kiddin me. I'll gladly pay for the pheno!!!!!!!and the office call.

yankeevet 4 years ago

Never used it on my dog; but did try it on the X...................yowwwwwwwwwww!!

dajudge 4 years ago

It cured the paralysis in the back legs of my beagle dog. So, with that, a resounding Yes!

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

Right after he gets back from his annual holistic mud spa vaca in Taos.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Nah, I'd just rather give them a sugar pill if we're going after placebo effects. Cheaper.

geekyhost 4 years ago

Exactly. Or you can poke them with toothpicks, since that's been shown to be equally effective in humans.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Penn and Teller did a great BS show on new age healing, where they did their own suction and audio therapy test, using plungers and a kazoo.

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

A Craftsman high speed drill with a 1/64th carbide drill works pretty good. After 30 minutes of cranial therapy, all the pain apparently is gone. But I've only treated cats.

notajayhawk 4 years ago

Yes, I think it would be worth the money for the entertainment value watching someone try to poke one of my cats with sharp objects - and seeing which one of them bleeds more. It may or may not help the cat, but the acupuncturist is definitely in for a trip to the emergency room.

beatrice 4 years ago

Yes. In fact, my pet porcupine loves it!

snoozey 4 years ago

No, but if my ex develops a serious illness it will be my first choice of treatment options!

pace 4 years ago

oh, different medical practice, It scares me. IF it isn't manufactured and sold at a counter I can't believe it would work. I only buy what the ads tell me to buy. The ads are my god and my reasoning. If it don't have a jingle, it don't give me a tingle. Please show me the commercial that tells me it might help my sweet old dog and then I will try it. Forget science, just sing me madison ave. jive.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

" IF it isn't manufactured and sold at a counter I can't believe it would work."

I was unaware that you could get OTC checkups and surgeries. That's neat!

pace 4 years ago

Of course you can get otc surgeries. I am vacationing in Peru.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

I'd like to see somebody try to give acupuncture to my 80lb lab bitch.

She'd turn into the you-know-what from hell.

terrapin2 4 years ago

Wow- pure genius animal lovers you all are. People actually do acupuncture on their pets regularly and see unbelievable results. Arthritis and many other conditions can be treated with acupuncture just like in people. Whether you want to throw down the bucks to do it is up to you. Everyone treats their pets differently and places a different value on them. It is not torture (in fact it doesn't hurt at all), there is no blood, and it has an amazing calming effect on them. It is a wonderful alternative to medications that can have side effects on the liver and kidneys. If it didn't work, people would not do it.

notajayhawk 4 years ago

Can acupuncture help you grow a sense of humor, terrapin?

gatekeeper 3 years, 12 months ago

What you think is funny is not, jerk. You guys joke about hurting animals, but there are a lot of sick a holes out there that really do hurt animals for fun.

notajayhawk 3 years, 12 months ago

I replied to a post from terrapin, who (while I might be wrong) was only commenting on the people who ignored the science involved with acupuncture. I happen to be a strong believer and big fan of that practice, and am proud to have known and worked with a practitioner who was instrumental in bringing about, and being the first in the state to obtain, licensure for acupuncturists in the state where I worked at the time.

I don't believe either of us were talking about the 'jokes' from members having to do with killing, torture, or mutilation of animals. Perhaps, gatekeeper, the "jerk" is the one who attacked me based on their mistaken belief that I defended (or said anything at all) about those particular posts instead of responding directly to those posts.

terrapin2 3 years, 12 months ago

Your post was actually funny notajayhawk. I do have a sense of humor. I work with cats so I'm well aware of the entertainment value acupuncture could provide when attempted on "certain" cats.

notajayhawk 3 years, 12 months ago

I had an elderly cat (I think he was around 16 at the time) who, unlike his predecessor who was an accomplished hunter and stone killer, was the most lovable creature in the world. I had to bring him to the vet for surgery on an abscess in one of his front paws. When I returned to have the stitches removed, I was holding him, without a carrier, in my lap, where he (being somewhat shy by nature) was lying quietly with his head hidden in my jacket. The tech came out to get us, looked at him, and said "Oh, that's why the card said 'Be careful'!" I was somewhat confused, especially when the vet, after being similarly alerted to the identity of his next procedure, almost insisted on putting the cat under to remove the stitches. I looked at the old guy and said "What the heck did you do when you were here?"

The doctor - cautiously - removed the stitches on top, then backed away and hesitated, explaining he had to get to the stitches on the bottom of the paw. I rolled the cat over, rubbed his belly, and he purred while holding up his paw while the vet worked. He scratched his head and said "This is not the cat I put these stitches into!!!"

[His predecessor, on the other hand, likely would have ended the vet's career - due to lack of a hand - had anyone, including myself, tried to touch his belly.]

hedshrinker 3 years, 12 months ago

Jokes about animal neglect/cruelty/torture/murder aren't funny;I find that "humor" that diminishes others, especially ones that can't speak for themselves, reflects very badly on the speaker, same mentality as bullies. Comments about a now generally accepted practice for symptom reduction for humans and other animals likewise reflect the speakers' ignorance. There are well-respected acupuncture practitioners in Lawrence for both people and pets; I've used both and saw remarkable improvement. Acupuncture is a highly sophisticated science that has a demonstrated track record in other cultures. There seems to be an epidemic of fear and hatred related to any person or practice that is different from narrowly defined "American" lately; SO sad.

notajayhawk 3 years, 12 months ago

Rather than retyping, I'll just refer you to my 8:58 a.m. post above.