Previous   Next

Should the Lawrence high schools close their campuses during lunch?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on August 28, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think it’s a pretty good idea. … I think it would help the kids maintain their schedule and stay in the mood for school.”

“No way because kids need that freedom, they need the option, they need choices.”

“Yes, I believe that they probably should so we don’t have as many students driving on the streets during lunch hour when working people are out and about.”

“Yes, I believe they should. I think the kids will be distracted leaving campus and some of them won’t come back.”

Comments

workinghard 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure many young couple would ge upset if they didn't get to leave for "lunch". I knew one young man that lived very close to Freestate. He brought his girlfriend home for "lunch" everyday. Must have been worried about getting food on their clothes since they always seemed to be buttoning or zipping things or combing hair.

9070811 3 years, 7 months ago

open. I would go home, let out dogs out and eat. Sometimes I would run into one of my parents and we would get to eat together. I could get homework or anything I had forgotten or needed for the latter half of the day. It was also just nice to get out of noise for at least 20 minutes.

beatrice 3 years, 7 months ago

Open. The food is too awful to force children to eat it.

Eyezahahh 3 years, 7 months ago

I understand that a closed lunch would create more structure. But the only problem is that people forget that these students are going to be adults and a few years. I think it is detrimental if we just enforce all these rules and structures that won't be around in the real world. In the real world we have to be responsible for taking breaks and lunch breaks in the time allotted to us. And I think that kids should start learning how to be adults before the graduate school.

Eyezahahh 3 years, 7 months ago

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 7 months ago

yes, but only when Mcdonalds of Lawrence get the right to set up shop in the high schools. Now there is a interesting way for the schools to make some money. What say Mary Loveland? How about selling space in the two high schools to the McDobskis.

Glo 3 years, 7 months ago

The school district said they needed athletic facilities on site because they were afraid someone would be injured in an auto accident going off campus to practice. It was asked at the time why they didn't require students to stay on campus for lunch, since that certainly involved many more students leaving campus , usually in a rush because of time allowed. It is my understanding that the current lunch room could not accomodate all students if they chose to stay.

Norma Jeane Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

In four years of high school, I ate in the cafeteria twice. Maybe. Most days it was a sub, a couple slices of pizza or an Italian hot dog at one of the many places within a block or two of my high school.

And, yes, many times I cut school after lunch. (Still graduated with a 4.0)

Let the kids be kids! Open lunch.

Rich Noever 3 years, 7 months ago

Labmonkey, I remember my youth in Lawrence and we weren't allowed to leave the grounds. Contrary to what Laura says, the student's needs should be an education and structure. Let's forget the touchy feely crap!

CWGOKU 3 years, 7 months ago

Open up campus but put GPS ankle braclets on all the kids.

britt408 3 years, 7 months ago

Keep it open. I had it in high school (only juniors and seniors) and it was nice to be able to get out for awhile and not be stuck with school food or whatever cold lunch you could bring from home. If kids want to skip school, they're going to do it whether or not there's open lunch.

labmonkey 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh how quickly older adults forget their youth. Keep it open.

inatux 3 years, 7 months ago

Yesterday I was driving by LHS and was amazed by all the kids who were out smoking during lunchtime. Just a couple of blocks away from the school, they were all enjoying the benefits of the open lunch policy.

I'm sure FSHS has the same activity go on with its students.

Not all of them were smoking, but it seems pretty clear that the open lunch policy doesn't exactly help curb teen smoking.

Not that the district cares, of course. All they want is to spend all your tax money on athletics.