Previous   Next

Have you ever used Craigslist?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on August 25, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes I have, I used it to find an apartment in Denver.”

“No, I don’t trust the Internet that much.”

“No I haven’t, I’m not much of a computer user.”

“Yes, I was looking for a roommate and I found one there, and I’m quite happy with the place I found there in Germany.”

Comments

Buzzjd 4 years, 3 months ago

Several Times, have purchased my Pick-up, Funiture, Bass Boat, Utility trailor and lots of other items, I am satisfied .

Jean1183 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes; to buy, sell, and give away items.

Scott Kaiser 4 years, 3 months ago

Anyone who uses Craigslist to find a companion is probably a loser. Or any other "match-up" type site.

Kimberly Grosse 4 years, 3 months ago

My boyfriend and I thought we would never use the internet to find a companion- Each of us took a chance on one occasion (using craislist, actually) and we couldn't be happier. We've been together 2 years and I don't think we're losers.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 3 months ago

And referring to yourself as DaddyTopCat makes you ultra cool!

ivalueamerica 4 years, 3 months ago

According to wikipedia

The Human Terrain System (HTS) was established to assist Army Brigade and Marine Corps Regiment Commanders and their staffs in Iraq and Afghanistan to better understand local cultures and social structures with the goal of improving their units' operational effectiveness. This is sometimes referred to as 'Human Terrain Mapping' (HTM).[1] The HTS utilizes personnel with BAs, MAs, and PhDs in a social science including anthropology, sociology, political science, geography, regional studies, and lingustics. HTS provides military commanders and staff with an understanding of the local population by conducting participant observation and interviews. That information is interpreted and archived in various cultural information and knowledge databases.

Bill Lee 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm online several (many?) hours every day, but have never used Craig's List. I haven't found the need or had an interest. Maybe I don't understand it.

pizzapete 4 years, 3 months ago

Like getting legal advice from Bill Clinton? Too funny!

BorderRuffian 4 years, 3 months ago

Craigslist is really a pretty good way of connecting people selling /buying stuff with one another. I have purchased quite a few items there and am very glad for this service.

Like many other venues, there have been some abusers. But try and eliminate those from public view. Impossible. After reading the stuff about Craigslist, I looked for and found the areas being discussed, and quite frankly, didn't find much advertizements about he Lawrence area. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm sure there probably is some underage and/or prostitution being advertized there, but you gotta go look. If it offends you, DON'T LOOK! If there is illegal activity there, let the authorities know. Don't let's everyone become a bunch of 'sphincter police' - the world has enough of those already.

staff04 4 years, 3 months ago

When I lived in a bigger city it was my go-to resource for lots of stuff. Found apartments, gave away a bed that I didn't want to move, picked up some concert tickets...it is less practical where I live now but I still check it before I buy if I am considering picking up a used item.

svenway_park 4 years, 3 months ago

Craigslist has decimated the classified news industry thus leading to the layoffs of tens of thousands of journalists by newspapers across the nation.

So when I want to hire an undereducated architect who claims he is from Emporia, I don't use Craigslist. I go directly to Speedway Shell.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Actually, TOB, I think that is true. But it is a combination of all the pressures the internet is having on publishing...news channels, display advertising, and classifieds. Papers are closing and shrinking left and right. Jobs lost in 2009 alone were about 15,000. If you add up previous years, it would be tens of thousands. Here is a detailed list:

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Looks like my post was accidently removed so let me repost it: LJW seems like it would be just as good as Craig's list so: SWM looking for SWF under 40 with no kids and likes to party. I like my ladies to have both legs and a full set of chompers but we can talk about that. If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. I'm the man you've looked for, write to me, and escape."

Whitney or whoever else is lurking around in the basement, when you remove this message read the others that joke about drugs, sex, ect and then reread mine as I can always add sex and drugs to mine if that is what it takes to keep from being removed. Funny, I read those Anna Undercover blogs which at times were quite racy and then see messages less graphic get removed, makes me wonder about your policy (or your taste) As a reader, I would rather see the LJW invest more time and effort in its stories and attention to detail as a number of mistakes have been made by the paper (getting facts wrong, grammer, spelling, ect) recently, rather than spending too much time and effort reading people's posts.

wmathews 4 years, 3 months ago

I think you're looking in the wrong spot. Your comment was posted on the story, not the poll, and hasn't been removed: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/aug/24/kansas-joins-effort-remove-adult-services-craigsli/#c1343872

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Thank you as you are correct and was able to find it!

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 3 months ago

somedude, I believe you forgot the apology to Whitney for wrongly accusing her of deleting your post.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Are you going to the Bret Michaels show tonight? Could be his last as his days are numbered and I wonder what the "hair" on his head is made out of. Janet Jackson had her nipple slip out so what happens if BM's bandana falls off? Although with no Ci Ci D, tickets should only be $12.31( no Riki Rocket either which could help sell tickets)

9070811 4 years, 3 months ago

I used it to sell my car and to sublease my former apartment. Worked out well for me. Did double checking for those who were interested. I had no problems and it was easy to identify spammers.

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

Good for rental stuff and cheap trade items, but man, no good for finding jobs worth crap. Too many scams and pyramid direct marketing schemes.

whats_going_on 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, it can be really a great resource, except for the scams that flood it daily. (If you have ever tried to sell something, you know what I mean..."Hi. I'm in Fiji right now and I can't get this item, can I wire you money...")

Sometimes we get on it to laugh (and cringe) and the personals and sex invitations that people post. Pathetic, and creepy. :\

LoveThsLife 4 years, 3 months ago

I used it more when we lived in a military town..more people were moving and trying to get rid of their stuff, which made for some excellent deals. I haven't found as many good deals here.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 3 months ago

I love Craigslist!! That and ebay... if I can't find it on those sites I must not want it that bad!