Previous   Next

Have you ever used Craigslist?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on August 25, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes I have, I used it to find an apartment in Denver.”

“No, I don’t trust the Internet that much.”

“No I haven’t, I’m not much of a computer user.”

“Yes, I was looking for a roommate and I found one there, and I’m quite happy with the place I found there in Germany.”

Comments

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 7 months ago

OST: “No, I don’t trust the Internet that much.”

— Pam Mattson, retired, Lawrence

Good for you, Pam. You best just stay away and leave it to us interweb professionals. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f68/122703d1243968671-i-find-highly-amusing-when-internet-know-alls-get-their-ass-handed-them-internet_serious_business.jpg

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 7 months ago

DaddyTopCat: A Loser is as a loser speaks ! It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth (as in your case) and remove all doubt. I wouldn't advise using craigslist to jobhunt, as most of the ads are bogus ads (like the personals) just trying to get your e-mail address. Jack Frost... so you think Michelle Obama is hot?? Get your eyes checked youngster, she looks like a fvcking orangutan !!!

Deja Coffin 3 years, 7 months ago

I love Craigslist!! That and ebay... if I can't find it on those sites I must not want it that bad!

LoveThsLife 3 years, 7 months ago

I used it more when we lived in a military town..more people were moving and trying to get rid of their stuff, which made for some excellent deals. I haven't found as many good deals here.

whats_going_on 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, it can be really a great resource, except for the scams that flood it daily. (If you have ever tried to sell something, you know what I mean..."Hi. I'm in Fiji right now and I can't get this item, can I wire you money...")

Sometimes we get on it to laugh (and cringe) and the personals and sex invitations that people post. Pathetic, and creepy. :\

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

autie, They want to take away your ability to find escorts on Craigslist. The cousin thingy I thought was purely an Arkansas phenomenon, but hey some say President Obama is a Pilf, but dammit, I like bewbies.

autie 3 years, 7 months ago

Sure...Jack....we did that before and got hammered. oh..no wait...that's when we were telling the truth and she thought it was code. Almost reminds me of all the numbers code spoken in April of what ever year that was....escorts and cousins.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Politically speaking, I feel that we have the smokin'est, hottest First Lady in history. Cindy McCain would have bee nice, too. Actually the last election was a no-lose for First Lady's. But no, no, no Sarah Palin. Sometimes a severe lack of intelligence and a vile personality does count.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Aut, if you speak in code, Mariachi won't catch it.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

That gal is flat out Gilfy, assuming she has grand kids. I don't give a damn about politics anyway.

autie 3 years, 7 months ago

President Fernandez is a very attractive woman. Old enough to be your momma, TOB. I had a good comment but Marcia would has cut me off at the ankles had I said it. Don't cry for me Argentina.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

T_O_B, I would not quite apply the Commie label to her. I would say she is more of a Pinko Fascist. Think XX hybrid of Tito and Mussolini. You know, with bewbies and gams.

jonas_opines 3 years, 7 months ago

Good for rental stuff and cheap trade items, but man, no good for finding jobs worth crap. Too many scams and pyramid direct marketing schemes.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 7 months ago

"Anyone else think President Cristina Fernández is kinda Pilfy if it wasn't for her pinko tendencies?"

She used to be, but being a Pinko Commie of a banana republic is making her look a bit tired.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 7 months ago

"Actually, TOB, I think that is true. But it is a combination of all the pressures the internet is having on publishing...news channels, display advertising, and classifieds. Papers are closing and shrinking left and right. Jobs lost in 2009 alone were about 15,000. If you add up previous years, it would be tens of thousands. Here is a detailed list:

http://news-cycle.blogspot.com/p/news.. " BC

Agreed. But it hasn't been Craiglist by itself. Now if we can just do something about fascist commenting nazi barons.

/Godwin'd!

g_rock 3 years, 7 months ago

Damn. Time to put a personal add in Craig's List. I think I may have just been dumped today...

sigh

9070811 3 years, 7 months ago

I used it to sell my car and to sublease my former apartment. Worked out well for me. Did double checking for those who were interested. I had no problems and it was easy to identify spammers.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 7 months ago

Right on, Dude! I was willing to give Samantha a break, but I fear she is fascist.

That spanking thread is hilarious.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Right on, Dude! I dig the Rupert Holmes lyric. I think Myrtle is a sexist. JK was much more cool. Keep on truckin'. After Knowleege takes over, Angela may not have a job. Plus I anticipate a total hell storm between the LJW and Broadband. Even though the Prophet sold it, he'll still whine about the way they run things. It'll be nice to hopefully have more than one opinion in this town.

somedude20 3 years, 7 months ago

Looks like my post was accidently removed so let me repost it: LJW seems like it would be just as good as Craig's list so: SWM looking for SWF under 40 with no kids and likes to party. I like my ladies to have both legs and a full set of chompers but we can talk about that. If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. I'm the man you've looked for, write to me, and escape."

Whitney or whoever else is lurking around in the basement, when you remove this message read the others that joke about drugs, sex, ect and then reread mine as I can always add sex and drugs to mine if that is what it takes to keep from being removed. Funny, I read those Anna Undercover blogs which at times were quite racy and then see messages less graphic get removed, makes me wonder about your policy (or your taste) As a reader, I would rather see the LJW invest more time and effort in its stories and attention to detail as a number of mistakes have been made by the paper (getting facts wrong, grammer, spelling, ect) recently, rather than spending too much time and effort reading people's posts.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

Jack, Freeman is currently in Australia working on a spiritual project.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Heads up. Penelope removed a comment. But I don't think it was mine.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 7 months ago

"Craigslist has decimated the classified news industry thus leading to the layoffs of tens of thousands of journalists by newspapers across the nation."

My hyperbole meter just shattered.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Actually, I bought an unregistered pistol pistol grip pump action shotgun about a month ago. And a bunch of lids of marijuana. Since nobody sells it by the lid anymore it's legal. I think we should contribute some stimulus money to Craigslist. Hell, we used a buttload to regress and brick a couple blocks of NewYork St. for people that still drive a horse and buggy. Why not?

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

You got it, Ret. Freeman Fly. I googled him. The dude is into UFO's, 9/11 conspiracies, Masons, and that Wicca nonsense. Thanks for remembering.

svenway_park 3 years, 7 months ago

So when I want to hire an undereducated architect who claims he is from Emporia, I don't use Craigslist. I go directly to Speedway Shell.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

Damn, 60 years ago that pinko Truman took control of the railroads.

staff04 3 years, 7 months ago

When I lived in a bigger city it was my go-to resource for lots of stuff. Found apartments, gave away a bed that I didn't want to move, picked up some concert tickets...it is less practical where I live now but I still check it before I buy if I am considering picking up a used item.

CWGOKU 3 years, 7 months ago

I think that list belongs to Daniel Craig, the Bond guy, 007

prospector 3 years, 7 months ago

Does it have liquor, ammo, and beer?

Then I don't need it.

CWGOKU 3 years, 7 months ago

BorderRuffian 3 years, 7 months ago

Craigslist is really a pretty good way of connecting people selling /buying stuff with one another. I have purchased quite a few items there and am very glad for this service.

Like many other venues, there have been some abusers. But try and eliminate those from public view. Impossible. After reading the stuff about Craigslist, I looked for and found the areas being discussed, and quite frankly, didn't find much advertizements about he Lawrence area. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm sure there probably is some underage and/or prostitution being advertized there, but you gotta go look. If it offends you, DON'T LOOK! If there is illegal activity there, let the authorities know. Don't let's everyone become a bunch of 'sphincter police' - the world has enough of those already.

autie 3 years, 7 months ago

A ditch digger or a terrorist. Damn, you guys are a lot of help today. Did I ever tell you I was a plumber in a former life?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 7 months ago

"OK...a human terrain analyst? Somebody wanna expalin that one to me? " Autie

I believe that is technical jargon for ditch digger.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Speedway Shell always has the coolest OTS. The all time greatest was that shady looking dude in the DEA hat who claimed to be a UFO reasearcher or something.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Wait a minute. I think #4 is Sean Penn. I thought he was in Haiti, saving lives and doing nice things for people. Plus, he doesn't even look pissed off. Something's amiss here.

JackFrost 3 years, 7 months ago

Speedway Shell! Kick ass! I used to work with a guy named Craig. Total jerk, and a filthy perve, too. He probably started Craigslist. I agree with Ret. I've found some decent hookers there. But the last time I met one at a certain motel in north Lawrence, there was this big dude named Jake hiding in the closet. He and that tart totally rolled me. They took my wallet, my weed, and my pills. Never again.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

Craigslist? Only for the hookers Better classed than those in the Pitch, miles above those that walk New Hampshire St.

g_rock 3 years, 7 months ago

I have friends that buy and sell household stuff on Craig's List. I do enjoy reading the freaky stuff on there from time to time. I often wonder if some of that stuff is real. People are odd.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 7 months ago

autie,

I have only seen the term used to describe a anthropologist who carries an M4A1.

Bill Lee 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm online several (many?) hours every day, but have never used Craig's List. I haven't found the need or had an interest. Maybe I don't understand it.

autie 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't know Craig or why he keeps a list.

OK...a human terrain analyst? Somebody wanna expalin that one to me?

Scott Kaiser 3 years, 7 months ago

Anyone who uses Craigslist to find a companion is probably a loser. Or any other "match-up" type site.

Jean1183 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes; to buy, sell, and give away items.

Buzzjd 3 years, 7 months ago

Several Times, have purchased my Pick-up, Funiture, Bass Boat, Utility trailor and lots of other items, I am satisfied .