Previous   Next

There are currently five weekly Farmers’ Markets in town. Does Lawrence need more?

Asked at Farmers' Market, Sixth and Wakarusa streets on August 20, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think that we have an adequate amount.”

“Yes, to support all the local growers.”

“With the five that it has, and considering the population, that should be plenty.”

“No, I think they need a permanent Farmers’ Market, not year-round, but one that meets every day during the season.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years ago

The sun must rise a lot earlier in Lawrence than where I live for the sky to be so bright there already.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Loren must have anticipated it . . .

kernal 4 years ago

Especially when you consider the market at 6th & Wakarusa is on Thursdays beginning at 4:00 or 4:30pm.

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

Which of his two professions does Kevin prefer? Professional Fruit OR Vegetable Grower

kernal 4 years ago

Who cares! Those peaches and corn he was selling a couple of weeks ago were really good.

1029 4 years ago

They need to shut down all farmers' markets. All they do is take away business from the established grocery stores that have been here for years. Unlike the we'll-only-be-open-during-the-warm-months farmers' markets, these stores don't shut down during the winter. They're here for the people of Lawrence all year round, even in the wintertime long after the farmers have abandoned us.

kernal 4 years ago

So you're thinking we may need to plan a benefit for Krogers?

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

It appears that donuts got disappeareded......

schula 4 years ago

Ret -- I was out on my balcony with my cat when the big thunder boomed. He made a beeline for the door. I couldn't get it open fast enough for him.

blindrabbit 4 years ago

I'd like to see more rural farm stands. It seems to me that local produce at the local Farmer's Market's is inordinately expensive. I'm familiar with those in New Jersey (yes, The Garden State) and California where you feel like you are getting a deal. Here, it seems like the producers "set" a "fixed" price on items that does not reflect value. All of this betrays the rural, farming nature of this area. Also, maybe more pick-your-own.