Previous   Next

There are currently five weekly Farmers’ Markets in town. Does Lawrence need more?

Asked at Farmers' Market, Sixth and Wakarusa streets on August 20, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think that we have an adequate amount.”

“Yes, to support all the local growers.”

“With the five that it has, and considering the population, that should be plenty.”

“No, I think they need a permanent Farmers’ Market, not year-round, but one that meets every day during the season.”

Comments

psycho_theclown 3 years, 8 months ago

Five farmers markets? Does this include the one with the freshest meat in town? It may be a bit more expensive than the rest, but the human society always has plenty to choose from.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

just keep in mind, you cain't sell on the street in Mayberry without a city license. So them truck farmers cain't be sellin off the back of the truck. them rural stands is just plain communism without payin no taxes or nothing. them farmers need to be a payin that tariff to Mr. Dole, Mr. Birdseye, Mr. Pepsico etc....you cain't be doin that.

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

I'd like to see more rural farm stands. It seems to me that local produce at the local Farmer's Market's is inordinately expensive. I'm familiar with those in New Jersey (yes, The Garden State) and California where you feel like you are getting a deal. Here, it seems like the producers "set" a "fixed" price on items that does not reflect value. All of this betrays the rural, farming nature of this area. Also, maybe more pick-your-own.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

Coolest loudest lightning and thunder! Enjoying the show from the porch.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

It appears that donuts got disappeareded......

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey Jack, ain't you a busker?

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

I guess the slavers didn't find him guilty of treason or they would have tied him to a tree or something and he weren't never gonna come back to post master things.

Come to think of it, a farmer's market is a fairly simple venue of local growers supplying local products to local consumers. Direct redistribution of goods from orgin to final consumer...no inbetweener interference...this whole deal is sounding a little bit socialist to me......sort of a commenselist deal here.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

I just found out who the hell Josiah Miller was.

156 years ago this month Josiah came to Lawrence, KS to start the "Kansas Free State" newspaper, the most conservative and most influential of the first territorial papers. The newspaper was destroyed when Lawrence was sacked, he was taken prisoner, and tried for treason against the state of South Carolina. When he returned he was a Douglas County Judge, Postmaster, and served in the legislature. He is attributed with coining the State motto "Ad astra, per aspera." This is why Free State Brewery has the Josiah Miller IPA now on tap.

Ronaldo Ignacio, citizen journalist, esq.

"Because participating in online comments is part of the reporting process." - Bertha

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

I think it's time for some Polk Salad Annie and karate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jp-z...

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Thank God this question wasn't asked at the Merc. Then again, it sort of was....

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if that hag who wrote "Eat Pray Love" has a vegetable stand. Probably. She needs a good shellacking. She also needs to learn how to use commas. Sure, a real story for the comman woman. Like, I've got $80,000 just burning a hole in my pocket. I think I'll have a mid-life crisis, fly to Bali, and sleep with the Dalai Lama. She's creeping her way up my People I Wanna Fight list.

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey, Andini, does anyone like Farmer's Markets?

1029 3 years, 8 months ago

They need to shut down all farmers' markets. All they do is take away business from the established grocery stores that have been here for years. Unlike the we'll-only-be-open-during-the-warm-months farmers' markets, these stores don't shut down during the winter. They're here for the people of Lawrence all year round, even in the wintertime long after the farmers have abandoned us.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 8 months ago

Which of his two professions does Kevin prefer? Professional Fruit OR Vegetable Grower

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't care, I get my fresh vegetables from a ketchup bottle.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Those glasses used to belong to Miles Davis. That guy must have stolen them.

prospector 3 years, 8 months ago

If Kevin says it, I believe it.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

Holy guano!!! Look at that dude's bug-eyed sunglasses. They take up half his face.

Pinko Commie Autie has lost his mind.

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

I like roadside tomato and corn stands better. As long as you drive your Prius or Smartcar out to the country to locate them, that is.....are dogs allowed at roadside stands?

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

yeah, jack. I has to say something sort of pinko or Bob won't think I'm right....so I just beat him to it. I would have been referred to as commie pinko at least by 9:30...maybe sooner. Now excuse me, I have a politboro meeting this morning.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

From each according to his abilty, to each according to his needs. Hippie, pinko, commie, commune-living hogwash. From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed. Now that's more like it.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh, boy. Look, we have the Merc. That's bad enough. I guess we could use some more professional fruit/vegetable growers. Kevin looks pretty pleased with himself. He needs to lose the ponytail. No male human should have a ponytail. Not even hippies. Ponytails are not cool. Period. The thought of seeing a naked man with a ponytail totally freaks me out.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

In a free market, the growers would be allowed to sell whenever and where ever they choose. But it doens't work like that. In our more correct market economy, the governement decided when that market should be, the hours, what you can sell, where you can sell and the prices. Only in that manner can the people be properly taken care of to their needs.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

The sun must rise a lot earlier in Lawrence than where I live for the sky to be so bright there already.