Previous   Next

What are you going to miss about the summer of 2010?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 19, 2010

Browse the archives

“Swimming at Bloomington Beach.”

“I’m going to miss having free time. … I’m going to have papers to grade and projects and stuff.”

“Definitely the lack of traffic.”

“I’m going to miss the fact that I will never have a summer again because I will have to get a big-person job.”

Comments

Deja Coffin 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to miss having my oldest daughter home all day with the two little ones. She's in kindergarten now and gone all day Moday-Friday. No one warned me how hard it'd be to let her go to school all day and she went to preschool for half-days so I thought I'd be ready but no way....I'm so bummed. I mean her teacher will see her more during the week then I will, that's just not right! I'm just going to say it... school sucks. You know why? What is the purpose of school? It's to teach kids to grow up and leave their moms, that's what school does. Boo. But I will admit that she really really likes being in kindergarten and her teacher is a great teacher. Plus she is so excited to eat lunch at school and tells me all about her day when she gets home. Her little sister also has enjoyed being the big kid at home and helping momma while getting more attention. So okay... maybe school is somewhat of a good thing. Thanks for letting me get that out! :-)

zikzak 4 years, 4 months ago

Dejacrew, I felt the same way for my first girl as well as my last. I thought I was ready but had to return to work where I spent the day crying. The feelings didn't even go away for my last child so I took the entire day off work when she left for kindergarten. I felt robbed somehow. I didn't let on to my girls how I felt and encouraged their school activities to the fullest. Today, they both are well into their school years and both do very well. But every year, I see those little girls heading off with the plastic cartoon backpacks full of crayons.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 4 months ago

zikzak, glad someone can relate! I feel like it just came out of nowhere... like wait a second this little girl isn't ready to be away from me all day... not yet!

Bill Lee 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to miss fresh tomatoes from my small garden.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

I'll miss watching Joe "where's the Xanax?" Biden flitting around the country proclaiming the success of the Recovery Summer while job losses spike again.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

I (heart) defender when he/she/it gets all harsh and judgemental and stuff.

somedude20 4 years, 4 months ago

in shape women in small fitting clothes summer heat forcing me to down my drink before it gets warm less bad drivers (from May-Aug)

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Low traffic and fresh local produce.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

AND the same old dribbling yahoos on the OTS . . .

;-)

bad_dog 4 years, 4 months ago

Dribbling Yahoos? That sounds like a good name for a rural-based exhibition basketball team. You know, like the Globetrotters. I can see them now in their cut-off bib coveralls, straw hats & boots. Fast breaking up court after a defensive rebound...

Practicality 4 years, 4 months ago

I will miss the commentary by bozo on the LJW, it will be harder for him while he is attending 8th grade at West Jr. High School.

Remember bozo, no comments until your homework is done!

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

I would eat a cat turd if it was wrapped in bacon.

1029 4 years, 4 months ago

The free houseplants they put out front of Dillon's.

uncleandyt 4 years, 4 months ago

I will miss the happy laughs of people in the parks and pesticides. I'll miss the gentle hum of air-conditioners and the stupidity of fireworks, the lack of flu-shot hysteria, the relative quiet of global warming deniers.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

My daddy always told me whatever I do always be proud and be the best I can be. I'm proud to be a dribbling yahoo and hope I'm one of the best . . . . . . . . although the competition is fierce.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

I thought salmon vodka was the flavor of the summer.

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

Chiggers, ticks, squitos, turkey vultures and bullbats.

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

KU once had a Basketball player known as the Big Dripper; something to do with a late night trip to 4091/2 Topeka Avenue.

riverdrifter 4 years, 4 months ago

Is you referrin' to the ass bacon, buddy...?