Previous   Next

When you work out, what fitness moves do you find most effective?

Asked at Ambler Recreation Center, 1740 Watkins Center Drive on August 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“I go running for 15 to 20 minutes and a little weightlifting for the arms.”

“When I did Bikram yoga, that was the most effective and toned I’ve ever been.”

“Lunges, (good) overall leg development.”

“Crunches. They get my gut muscles being the way they ought to be.”

Comments

H_Lecter 3 years, 8 months ago

left foot...right foot...left foot...right foot

You'll never hear the foot steps; you'll smell the chloroform... but, you won't remember it.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

Working the handle on the Rock Chucker is good exercise.

In other news: what manner of wackyness will turn up in blogs tomorrow?

riverdrifter 3 years, 8 months ago

"Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until the urge passes."

Mark Twain

jhawk0097 3 years, 8 months ago

For strength, squats, deadlifts, power cleans, standing presses, and bench presses. 4-6 reps/set.

Bunny_Hotcakes 3 years, 8 months ago

Hill/stair runs. I have a total love/hate relationship with them. So effective, though. It's hard to beat planks w/ variations for core work. I'm kind of over crunches, honestly.

hungryhustler 3 years, 8 months ago

hip thrusts. 3 sets of 10. open mouth, wrinkle nose, and stick out tongue. Interlock figners behind head, and begin. . use various speeds on different sets. Technique is key here, folks!!

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 8 months ago

Ctrl Alt Delete followed by End task I call it the Mozilla Meditation Method

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

I used to be afraid of my sensuality until I saw movies like "Tango and Cash" and "To Wong Foo". Ahh. A bunch of outwardly masculine men dressed like women and loving each other. Hilarious. And sexy, too. Now, I totally embrace man love. I finally except my sensitvity and my feminine side.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Definitely perfect timing, along with the 33rd annivesary of the death of The King. Before I hit the gym I load up on lots of dilaudid and a couple of Fool's Gold sandwiches. The sandwich consists of a single warmed, hollowed-out loaf of bread filled with one jar of creamy peanut butter, one jar of grape jelly, and a pound of bacon. It was his favorite. I go barrelling into to LAC with my crew of sycophants and just start throwing down all kinds of crazy Elvis karate moves. The chicks love it. He was also King of the Badasses, ya know. Thank you very mushhh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2rBE...

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

I am. I don't equate fitness with pleasure.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

T_O_B, I thought you were a devotee of big strong masculine men dancing the tango together closely, not afraid of sensuality.

FSJohnBrown 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Vermont, Crossfit is amazing.

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

Lifting the beer and putting it in the cart. Then carrying the beer from the car to the beer fridge and putting the bottles in said fridge.
We still run 5Ks, so I run 3-4 times a week and lift once a week.

vermont 3 years, 8 months ago

burpees!

.....CROSSFIT is pretty amazing if you're looking to cut body fat and tone up.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

I see that Brownback says Kansas needs more cheese production.....I guess he ain't all bad, huh? Cheese keeps a fellow fit. Cheddar ale to grilled.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

autie, Your own gun, or someone elses?

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

Bud lite curls and kegal flex keep me in shape for the important stuff.

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

insert sexual position joke here

Donnuts 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree that Bikram yoga is real effective. Also though I found I hit a plateau as they call it and couldn't do the whole routine after the second week until much later. My body literally siezed up. I do a yoga DVD called Bryan Kest's Power Yoga 3; there are three routines on it. I also have the originator of Beach Body's Power Fusion by Teigh McDonoghugh and Kim somebody or other. I think the most powerful stretch is in the lungs.

I play racquetball and run, cycle and swim as well. Not all at the same time.

The most powerful stretch is when I breathe in and out in a manner. Other than that....forward standing bend or "Downward Dog"

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Well you couldn't have timed this any better! After a four year absence at the gym I returned yesterday. First I did 30 minutes on the stationary bike, followed by 30 minutes on machines and free weights. Weight I used to warm up on I could only do 6 to 8 reps of. Wow. Went home thinking I didn't over do and will need to get back in the routine. Woke up at 2:00AM in agony, triceps burning and in knots! Need to do a few bud light curls to ease the pain . . .

Favorites? I like working the abs and low back, and anything with dumb bells.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

The Crane Kick. Definitely the Crane Kick.
First of all it is the most effective close defense move. Make no mistake, continue doing your Tueller Drills with your sidearm, but sometimes 21 feet is way too close.
So your foe is busy looking at your limpwristed fluttering jazz hands hands in the air, then he sees the knee, and thinks, “What's this guy up to? Is he going to slap me, is he going to knee me, tickle fight, French kiss me? I don't know?” Which means he is completely missing the leg you are standing on, the deadly foot. Someone once said, “Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home. Get no love. Understand?” The purpose of training is finding the proper center of gravity and balance. However, It takes more than balance to kick ass. You have to fluidly transfer the energy from your arms to your waist to your leg and to your deadly foot via a properly executed Crane Kick.