Previous   Next

When you work out, what fitness moves do you find most effective?

Asked at Ambler Recreation Center, 1740 Watkins Center Drive on August 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“I go running for 15 to 20 minutes and a little weightlifting for the arms.”

“When I did Bikram yoga, that was the most effective and toned I’ve ever been.”

“Lunges, (good) overall leg development.”

“Crunches. They get my gut muscles being the way they ought to be.”

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

The Crane Kick. Definitely the Crane Kick.
First of all it is the most effective close defense move. Make no mistake, continue doing your Tueller Drills with your sidearm, but sometimes 21 feet is way too close.
So your foe is busy looking at your limpwristed fluttering jazz hands hands in the air, then he sees the knee, and thinks, “What's this guy up to? Is he going to slap me, is he going to knee me, tickle fight, French kiss me? I don't know?” Which means he is completely missing the leg you are standing on, the deadly foot. Someone once said, “Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home. Get no love. Understand?” The purpose of training is finding the proper center of gravity and balance. However, It takes more than balance to kick ass. You have to fluidly transfer the energy from your arms to your waist to your leg and to your deadly foot via a properly executed Crane Kick.

Boosh 4 years ago

Wax on wax off.......or is the correct spelling whacks? :)

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Well you couldn't have timed this any better! After a four year absence at the gym I returned yesterday. First I did 30 minutes on the stationary bike, followed by 30 minutes on machines and free weights. Weight I used to warm up on I could only do 6 to 8 reps of. Wow. Went home thinking I didn't over do and will need to get back in the routine. Woke up at 2:00AM in agony, triceps burning and in knots! Need to do a few bud light curls to ease the pain . . .

Favorites? I like working the abs and low back, and anything with dumb bells.

independant1 4 years ago

Bud lite curls and kegal flex keep me in shape for the important stuff.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Everybody sing: What a friend we have in cheeses!

vermont 4 years ago

burpees!

.....CROSSFIT is pretty amazing if you're looking to cut body fat and tone up.

FSJohnBrown 4 years ago

I agree with Vermont, Crossfit is amazing.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Gotta be the 16oz elbow curl.

notajayhawk 4 years ago

Do you have to build up to that, i.e. start with the 12-ounce curls?

calwt262 4 years ago

Absolutely. If you recklessly start doing tall-boy curls you're going to wake up in the middle of the night feeling like RoeDapple. Start off with Red Bull curls.

hungryhustler 4 years ago

hip thrusts. 3 sets of 10. open mouth, wrinkle nose, and stick out tongue. Interlock figners behind head, and begin. . use various speeds on different sets. Technique is key here, folks!!

Bunny_Hotcakes 4 years ago

Hill/stair runs. I have a total love/hate relationship with them. So effective, though. It's hard to beat planks w/ variations for core work. I'm kind of over crunches, honestly.

jhawk0097 4 years ago

For strength, squats, deadlifts, power cleans, standing presses, and bench presses. 4-6 reps/set.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

"Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until the urge passes."

Mark Twain

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Working the handle on the Rock Chucker is good exercise.

In other news: what manner of wackyness will turn up in blogs tomorrow?

H_Lecter 4 years ago

left foot...right foot...left foot...right foot

You'll never hear the foot steps; you'll smell the chloroform... but, you won't remember it.