Previous   Next

Do you have any superstitious beliefs?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 13, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, but a few of my friends do.”

“Nope … I’m too practical, I guess.”

“No, I do not. … I avoid walking under ladders mostly because I’m clumsy.”

“Yes, I always put my wallet in my right hip pocket.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I never post information about other peoples families on the internet . . .

cept for teh cuzins . . .

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 2 months ago

No, but some of my friends think I do!

BrianR 4 years, 2 months ago

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

trinity 4 years, 2 months ago

nahhh, not really. all hail left-handers today; it is national leftie day! huzzah! :)

del888 4 years, 2 months ago

Never step out in front of an on-coming bus

Chris Ogle 4 years, 2 months ago

Nope... but I wear the same old socks when the Jayhawks play. It's just a fact that they need my stinky socks to play better. (can't wash em till the season is over)

Chrissy Neibarger 4 years, 2 months ago

No, but I find myself Knocking on Wood when I say something I don't want jinxed.

calwt262 4 years, 2 months ago

very superstitious...I always enter my vehicle from the front passenger's side door when I'm driving and I put my pants on two legs at a time.

Graczyk 4 years, 2 months ago

My superstition is that if I forgot to take off my hat during the national anthem that someone might strangle me from behind. I dunno. It's just a weird feeling I get.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

I always hold my shoes upside down and shake them before putting them on just in case of a lurking scorpion. Actually that may be more compulsive than superstitous. Never mind.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 2 months ago

The origin of that superstition was that a cowboy never knew if there was a rattlesnake in his boots or not, hence the shaking superstition began with that.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

I probably picked that habit up from watching a lot of Westerns as a wee nipper.

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

Tom, that isn't superstitous in my neck of the desert, that is just good common sense. I know two people who have been bitten that way and once found a dead scorpion in one of my shoes. That is one of the dangers of living so close to a mountain preserve in the middle of the desert.

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

oops - snap, not tom. Freudian slip, I guess.

kernal 4 years, 2 months ago

Not at all, Snap! When I lived in AZ, a co-worker woke up in the middle of the night, put her feet in her slippers without turning on a light and got stung three times on her toes by a baby scorpion. True story.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 2 months ago

I was going to make a schmalzy comment, but I see Joseph the professional cyclist beat me to it.

I don't believe in superstition, although I maintain some credulous beliefs.

1029 4 years, 2 months ago

I eat a bald eagle egg for breakfast every New Year's Day.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes, and it involves basketball. same shirt, same seat, same, same, same.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 2 months ago

Less of an idiot than if you scramble your brains after an accident, JackFrost.

Michael Rowland 4 years, 2 months ago

Throwing salt over the shoulder if I spill some. I kiss my hand and slap the roof of my car when I get under a yellow light. I try very hard not to walk such that I go around a pole on one side as my wife goes around on the other. Don't look at the pitcher if he's throwing a good game.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 2 months ago

I believe there is a big, bearded, omnipotent man in the sky who created the universe has a personal interest in my life and demands fealty and obeisance to his word.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 2 months ago

---ya' got that right there buddy. time you recognized this truth; I are himself.

I have supersticious beliefs but if I tell then they will happen! so, to protect myself, you guys, and all of lawrence, I'm mum on the subject.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 2 months ago

"ya' got that right there buddy. time you recognized this truth; I are himself."

I can see the resemblance; the beard and all and that fact that both are fake.

blindrabbit 4 years, 2 months ago

Don't believe in armageddon or the world coming to a end in 2012, but my mommy scared me back in the day with the "Chicken Little and the sky falling" story. Since then I am very careful, looking up whenever I go outside for falling objects. Last night I wanted to go out and look for the Perseid meteor show, but since it was dark, I could not see pieces of falling sky. Therefore, I didn't go out; how was it?

Boosh 4 years, 2 months ago

...or live in Wichita and drive an Escort...

dajudge 4 years, 2 months ago

or just recently ate a microwave burrito at the gas'n go.

Richard Payton 4 years, 2 months ago

Mayan Calendar says birther date Dec 21, 2012.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

We're all gonna die! (eventually)

WHY 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh I have a bunch. I always pray to god before I eat. Go to church once a week. read my bible every day. Ask a dead carpenter to save my soul. And rub a Buddhas belly in case I am wrong.

hungryhustler 4 years, 2 months ago

the first dude is lying. there is no way he has any friends.

whatadrag 4 years, 2 months ago

something to do with bug-eyed glasses and how I'm supposed to avoid 'em.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I am afraid that if I do not live by the word of an omnipotent sky god who created the universe and cares deeply about my personal life, I will go to a hot, hot place and burn for eternity.

brujablanco 4 years, 2 months ago

Yup - when "Nick Dangerous" acts like a cowardly little boy whom nobody will play with, and his buddy, confidant, and bedfellow arti is in full swing, the stalking will begin again. No worries, tho - I have a jar buried in my yard.