Previous   Next

How much should the fine be for not wearing your seat belt?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 11, 2010

Browse the archives

“Maybe $75 because I think there should be a stricter consequence for that action.”

“One hundred dollars, something that might actually make you put your seat belt on. Five dollars is not a big enough threat, it’s chump change.”

“I don’t think there should probably be a fine. I think that it’s up to people to handle their own safety. I know that there are some situations where a seat belt can create a problem for some people.”

“The fine could be as much as it can be because I wear my seat belt every time. But in my opinion, the higher the fine, the more likely people are going to wear a seat belt.”

Comments

kansasmutt 3 years, 8 months ago

$0.00 is just fine. The law is BS. if you ride with someone and you dont trust the way they drive, buckle up. This is as bad as telling us to wear bots while driving instead of tennis shoes, its BS. The law is bogus.

gccs14r 3 years, 8 months ago

Make the fine income-dependent and start it at two weeks gross pay, with a second offense in five years a suspended license and a trebled fine (six weeks pay) and the third offense in five years a revoked license and a trebling of the second fine (18 weeks pay). Oh, and make the fine per offender, so if you have seven people aboard and none of them are wearing a seatbelt, the fine starts at 14 weeks pay. If there are more people aboard than there are seatbelts available, make the fine $10,000 per unbelted passenger in addition to the unbelted occupant fine. Post giant signs at every border crossing with a second giant warning one mile in from the border and signs at every highway junction so folks passing through definitely get the message. Then enforce it with no plea-bargaining.

dabbindan 3 years, 8 months ago

it just got put in place. leave it where it is for a couple years. it'll give the public a chance to get accustomed to it. increase it too soon and you'll get a backlash and compliance will go down because people will see it as exploitative.

amesn 3 years, 8 months ago

4 weeks ago this Friday a seatbelt saved my life after my vehicle rolled several times..surely without it I would have been ejected and killed or at least paralyzed. I believe its a choice but i'm sold!

Kat Christian 3 years, 8 months ago

Its $200 in MD and you bet people wear them, except for the idiots who think they are invincable and will never get into a car wreck. Even going 30 miles and hitting something without a seatbelt you can obtain a serious injury then if wearing a belt. Maybe there should be a test site where people who don't believe can test how much impact can cause damage. You'd think they get it then? They woman with the 3 children a couple weeks ago was not wearing a seat belt and none of the children were in restraints and all 3 died. How so very sad and she could have possibly avoided their death had they been in proper restraints. I don't know how the woman is now...anyone?

prospector 3 years, 8 months ago

There should be no fine if you have a codpiece or bright colored clothing on.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 8 months ago

The consequence is worse injuries than if you were wearing a seat belt and a greater possibility of death.

Good enough motivation for me!

Vince & Larry taught me well as a kid ("You could learn a lot from a dummy!")

puddleglum 3 years, 8 months ago

I have had several close encounters with sean penn....one was playing pool. i can't describe what happened because it is so inappropriate, but you guys are on the right track.

rumor_man 3 years, 8 months ago

I only wear mine when I have an open container....so as to offset the fines.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

The government has no business legislating responsibility.

Rich Noever 3 years, 8 months ago

Here's the deal Jason. You don't wear the belt and if you are injured in a traffic accident, you are barred from making an injury claim. When you don't mitigate your damages, you lose! Fair enough?

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Autie on the seatbelt thing. I'd go with something other than the M-16, rounds are too small, don't cause enough damage.
T_O_B, you are on a roll today, don't stop. Thank you all for a fun morning.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

Okay, Jack. Enjoy reading this. This is awesome. Three pages of Sean Penn BS exposed.

Chris Penn was awesome in Resevoir Dogs. I can't believe those two were brothers.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Nobody looks good in a bicycle helmet. Nobody. Ask Andini.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

With all due respect to the film, Aut, I heard years later that for months while A-wipe was getting into the Spicoli character, he made everyone call him Jeff Spicoli. Even his parents. If someone called on the phone for him, they were supposed to say "Spicoli, telephone." Total method d-bag. His late brother Chris was much more talented, and it was barely even mentioned when he died. Hell, even Michael has more talent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gANu...

calwt262 3 years, 8 months ago

Grant looks like a complete tool wearing a decorative foam cooler on his head.

Also, someone needs to tell Grant that riding a bicycle on the sidewalk downtown carries with it a $30.00 fine. Worse yet, sporting a scraggily chin-strap beard with the mustache intentially shaved off carries with it a $200.00 fine and a mandatory 30 days of being clean shaven with a single blade disposable bic razor and barbasol shaving cream.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Christian Slater? Christians? Later, dude.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

No autie, See this is why I respect the hell out of the gays. Because they're not afraid to get flamboyant on you. They understand that you can never be too over the top. That you always got to always leave the crowd wanting more. Like a straight dude probably just grabs the intercom and swears at a dude and then gets fired.. But not a gay dude. He grabs two beers, parachute slides it out of there with his hair blowing in the wind just leaving everybody breathless on the scene. And when the cops arrive at his house in to arrest him, he's making Awesome Sauce McCoy with his main man! That's the mark of a true entertainer. Just a virtuoso performance on how to quit your job. Somewhere Liberace is smiling.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

You know TOB, it wasn't always that way.....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

Steven Slater would never pay a seatbelt fine.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

Reasons to hate Sean Penn:

1. He cheated on his beautiful wife repeatedly through their marriage and even played hide the sausage with Princess Lea. Natalie Portman is sullied for life.

2. Staged fake Katrina rescues.

3. The repeated lies about what he is doing in Haiti.

4. That stupid Grammy thing about another crapbag, Jude law.

5. The most overrated actor ever.

6. His love of Hugo, Fidel, and Autie.

Feel free to add more reasons. This OTS leaves something to be desired for.

/don't even remember the question.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

Are you gonna make Sean Penn wear his seat belt? Is it true he is the secret gay lover of Hugo Chavez?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

Sean Penn is a loosey stool of biosolids. Remember after Katrina? He showed up in a boat four days after with the staged rescues. hate hate hate.

Autie - What I do to Sean Penn is exempt from any law, ideology, or biscuit.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, Sean Penn also said he quit smoking but I saw him on "Charlie Rose" a while back and he smoked 3 packs in about 10 minutes.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

Now I shouldn't have choices about seat belts because it is commie. Yet we can stick toothpicks under what's his names fingernails and attach delicious cheeses....plural, indicating choices...There appears to be a fine line running between your socialism and facism......do you need a tax cut or something?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

"Fine? I think it should be fine for people to make the choice to wear one or not." Autie

What kind of Pinko Commie are you? Choices? Pfft.

Also, another thing that bugs me about Sean Penn is that he says he has been in Haiti for the past six months helping those folks. Yet, he keeps getting photographed all over the world partying. That man needs to have tootpicks inserted underneath his fingernails and then have delicious cheeses and deli meats affixed to the toothpicks and he will be at my next poker gathering feeding the attendees.

JJE007 3 years, 8 months ago

Fine? It should be...um...nothing(?), unless you are injured in a car wreck (your fault or "theirs"). Then the insurance companies of those involved should be free to dismiss all of your claims. ...tough love...tough love... Ohhh... forget it. It's too tough to play GAWD or 3B-PO (Benificent Big Brutha-Police Officer).

consumer1 3 years, 8 months ago

Grant is simply abiding by a new law initiated by the squeaky left. All pedestrians must wear helmets while walking.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

The same as the fine for not carrying your sidearm.

emaw 3 years, 8 months ago

Next thing you know they are going to be fining people for not wearing condoms!!!!

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

This is such a better question for the Speedway Shell. Sidewalk people are walking. Except Grant.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Are we supposed to wear a helmet, too? Grant is wearing one. It looks ridiculous. I'll just stick with my kufi hat. I used to ride a motorcycle. No way in hell would I wear a helmet. 90% of the reason to have a sickle was so chicks could see you riding it. The dude on the bike always gets the babes.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey Autie, if you had the choice, would you buy a vintage Gatling gun, M-60, or M-16? Or is there something better? I'm going shopping today and thought I would check with you first.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

One hour strapped in a chair, mouth taped shut, eyes taped open, listening to Sean Penn talk about whatever is pissing him off today.

jonas_opines 3 years, 8 months ago

One hour watching videos of fatal car crashes with your eyes taped open a la Clockwork Orange.

Here's a curiosity question. For those who support letting people make their own decision in the matter (a group I happen to subscribe to), what about the kids in the car too young to make their own decisions? Whatever the decision of the adults, it seems kind of like child abuse to not make kids buckle up, sort of. Whatcha think?

Stuart Evans 3 years, 8 months ago

after 38 years, I've finally started wearing mine. no, I don't feel safer; I feel confined and restricted. I don't really like it. But an old timer once told me "boy, don't you go around breaking more than one law at a time!" So, since I'm usually breaking one, I can't risk being pulled over for a really stupid one.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago