Previous   Next

Toilet paper: over or under?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 6, 2010

Browse the archives

“I have no problem with either just so long as it comes off the roll.”

“Over because it’s awkward if it’s under.”

“Under, it’s cooler that way.”

“Under because it’s easier to grab.”

Comments

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

Did: Being a old grocery store clerk, I can say Miracle Whip is not Mayonnaise but Salad Dressing; Hellman's is the real stuff. Back in the day, I was chastised for making the wording mistake to a testy customer; still makes we shudder! She told me the difference had to do with the addition of eggs in the real Mayonnaise.

Probably does not affect the purpose you intended.

RidgeRunner 3 years, 8 months ago

You know, when I first seen this OTS , I thought, Self, what in the hell was on the minds of the LJW staff to come up with such a question for "On The Street".

It smacked me in the face this morning as soon as I'd read Mr. Simons articles on the selling of SFBB/6 news, etc.

Ironic? I think not,

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

ask an expert, mr. wipple says over

meggers 3 years, 8 months ago

Over! I suspect the 'under' folks are the same people who treat Miracle Whip like its mayo.

Questionable people, at best...;)

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Tomorrow;

Hybrid or purebred?

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

Over or under? How about between!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

Left hand a bowl of water, I would avoid finger food at Merrill's...

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

So all these comments and not a single copy/paste from Merrill telling us how we should be doing the toilet paper. Wait, maybe they don't use toilet paper in his house. Not very earth friendly. After the whole naked gardening revelation, I'm not sure I want to know. With my daughter's cat, what we usually got for some time was a handful of shredded toilet paper. Darn cat would even pull all the tissues out of the tissue box. You would walk in and find the empty box sitting in a pile of tissues.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

I believe that the real truth in this matter may have to do with ones personal circumstances in life. By all means, over or under will both work just fine and then it boils down to a matter of perspective. If you happen to own a frisky feline, under may be the only way to be as that little fellow will strip an entire roll should it be served in the up right position and depart the holder in such a wonderous way. However others may be imbued with that certain quirk of obsession that makes them go over and with exactly...I mean exactly three squares. So with that observation I would conclude with the real truth. Nobody gives a rat's ass as long as there is toilet paper within reach at that crtical moment. We all collectively don't friggin care as long as we can depart the bathroom in a reasonably clean and sanitary fashion. Thank you. Next question please.....

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

I sort of like it when folks get whipped up about the OTS questions. No, they aren't all hard cutting news stories. If they weren't they wouldn't be asking folks on Mass street, in the Merc parking lot or at the Speedway Shell. The point is that they are for discussion. Some folks enjoy this.

<---easily amused apparently.

Bring on the cat v. dog discussion!!!

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

Over, for sure. My bf changes it from time to time, just to piss me off.

Really pisses me off.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 8 months ago

Total pet peeve for "under". If I discover one from "under" in my house, I switch it to "over" immediately.

Jodi_LibHall 3 years, 8 months ago

THERE IS NO TOILET PAPER IN THE PUNISHMENT ROOM!!!!

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

Good corn crop coming on this year, cobs will be inexpensive. Just think of the trees you will be saving. Suggest something like Cornhuskers if the bottom gets a little tender.

Gootsie 3 years, 8 months ago

Makes me think of the most annoying commercial on right now:

"Honey, we're out of toilet paper." He says is THREE times! Two of the times had a bad ending. Keep the spare TP next to the toilet or else go get your own darn paper!!

I need more to do.....

consumer1 3 years, 8 months ago

Which looks better? On the bottom of the shoe or hanging out of the pant leg?

which hand do left handed people use? Do you all like my new helmet? Did I say that hooked me up with some fine custom graphic. Nice job! and thanks again. I keep this one! Con1

anneht 3 years, 8 months ago

How trivial can we get in Lawrence, Kansas? With all the important things going on in our city, and our world, today, we are discussing toilet paper???? We deserve what we get!

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

Depends.

Somebody had to go there.

scopi_guy 3 years, 8 months ago

Definately over.

And to help save the environment, be sure and always use both sides.

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 8 months ago

Over.

And anyone that uses the toilet must put down the seat and the lid. That ends the blame game.

denak 3 years, 8 months ago

Honestly, half the time it isn't even on the roller. It is on the sink, the back of the toilet or on the floor. I really wish it would stay on the roller long enough to decide if over or under is best.

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 8 months ago

Tomorrow's OTS- Stand or or stay seated to wipe?

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm still waiting for Tom to answer this. I don't want to answer prematurely and be on the wrong side of the issue.

HomeSlice 3 years, 8 months ago

Either way, as long as there is paper on the roll. Nothing worse than getting stuck in a public stall with no options.

Anybody have five ones for a five?

Dang....

paisley 3 years, 8 months ago

Let's add to this question. Do you have a magazine rack in the throne room? To answer the question...it's was under as a kid. Now it is over. No magazine rack either. We have a Yahtzee game instead!

gccs14r 3 years, 8 months ago

Under. It's easier to do a one-handed grab that way, because the wrist can be used as a roll brake. Fortunately, my wife also prefers under, so no discord there.

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

Jonas: Your logic makes total sense; this is especially evident around graduation time!

jonas_opines 3 years, 8 months ago

I generally just go outside and scoot around on my butt like a dog with a dingleberry. But I can understand how that would be unpopular.

And seriously, how can you get TP under someone's house or tree? Seems like that goes against the physical properties of matter. It goes Over the house or tree, there's nothing else for it.

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

Silly question? Maybe, but I think this is fun and I have enjoyed all of your comments. Dang, is it beer thirty yet?!

JJE007 3 years, 8 months ago

"If you have time to chatter Read books If you have time to read Walk into mountain, desert and ocean If you have time to walk Sing Songs and dance If you have time to dance Sit quietly, you Happy Lucky Idiot" Besides this, Nanao Sakaki has something to say about this -business- in his book of poetry "Break the Mirror". I believe river rocks, sticks and pine cones are mentioned!~)

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

"September is getting closer and I might get on the banks of the Walnut for at least a day." Autie

A little pick'n and grin'n?

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

tbaker: Changing the roll if incorrect sounds like a "anal retention" problem. Are you sure you really want to be in there.

tbaker 3 years, 8 months ago

Over, and will change it if incorrectly installed.

BrianR 3 years, 8 months ago

If it's 'over' the cat unravels the entire roll.

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

When I open the sears catalog to grab a page, I usually open like reading a book. Black and white pages are softer than the colored ones.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

"This is news??"

No. This is pretty f'n far from news. It is the BIG OTS.

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

Over... And Andini, you are one sick man

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

And on the 65th anniversary of when Little Boy was plopped on Hiroshima...

Andini 3 years, 8 months ago

Nobody likes toilet paper/ Nobody.

Andini 3 years, 8 months ago

I can't wait for tomorrows follow up....

Boxers or Briefs?

Raiden 3 years, 8 months ago

who thinks up these lame questions??? Who cares about over or under with toilet paper....where are the substantive questions about our community....that's what 'person on the street' questions are supposed to be about. Sigh....i guess this is a sign of how dumbed down we've become...that such a question would be asked and that it be answered! Save your scornful responses for someone who cares.

prospector 3 years, 8 months ago

The right way.

consumer1, is that a suggestion for a substitute?

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

Do you leave the Sears catalog open or closed? Closed means you have to open it to tear out the pages, thus getting ick on the cover.

Paul R Getto 3 years, 8 months ago

milkman_dan (anonymous) says… I'm perfecting a portable bidet, based on a waterpick.

MMD: I think the Japanese beat you to it. There are some hilarious stories about Americans unfamiliar with the technology getting hijacked by the automated toilets. As for the roll question, 'over' of course. That's what Momma taught me.

Hydra 3 years, 8 months ago

Toilet paper: over or under? Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 6, 2010

How could LJW possibly ask this question today and take pictures in daylight?

I propose hanging it sideways and remove a element of marital discord. I have touble enough with the seat lid!

gphawk89 3 years, 8 months ago

Doesn't matter. Once my 3-year-old gets ahold of it, it's all in a big pile on the floor. Or strung through the house.

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

I wish that I would remember when I'm in the middle of Walmart that my apartment is tiny and I don't have room for the jumbo pack of TP under my bath sink.

Over. That is the way it was in our house as a kid. I didn't know that under existed until I had roommates.

Though I do like the TP we had in elementary school. It was small folded squares like little kleenexes. Tiny kid hands can't hold onto the 9873.3 pieces they take out to wipe so it ended up littered all over the bathroom floor. Eliminates the over/under debate though.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

On the dark side of the moon.

What kind of question is that anyway? OTS, go to your room and don't come out until you think you might be able to amuse somebody...

Stuart Evans 3 years, 8 months ago

don't tell me you people don't know about the 3 shells?

Elrond 3 years, 8 months ago

Under: Then as you pull there is a slight upward force on the whole roll which reduces friction between the roll and the spindle as it turns.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 8 months ago

counter. if you take the time to put it on the spool, you'll just have to do it again later. and also my tp holder is broken.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Col. Sanders. But I prefer over. And I always make a perfect tear at the perforation. Also, I keep 32 rolls under the bathroom sink. I rotate them every 2 days to make sure it's always fresh.

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

Over Ya can't do orgami when it's under Over is fun for the cat(s) Easier for the wifey to find it in wee hours of the morning Because I said so, that's why

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

UNDER!! Hey, if I'm gonna get accused of 'going' from across the room, leaving one or both lids incorrectly 'up' or 'down', and can't even have a 'quiet' moment without being barged in on to throw clothes in the hamper or get a tube of toothpaste then by jingles I'm gonna have the paper roll to suit ME!!

"What?"

"Yes dear, I'm almost done. Be right out . . . ."

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 8 months ago

Jeff Triplett has passed away. Bless you Jeff..thanks for all you've done, and the laughs..and fireworks. :-)

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 8 months ago

Sigh. Educational moment, (grab a breakfast mimosa to go with that thin pancake and let's bring life up a notch)...

It's been planned to go over, here's why; 1) if it rolls under, you're more likely to have to touch the wall to get it, either placing ick on the wall, or touching someone's ick on the wall. Face it, under means someone has to wash that wall more often. 2) under is further away for children to reach, or people who have difficulties turning, bending, etc...elderly. 3) With printed designs or embossed paper, the designs are on the top of the paper and show if they roll over best. If placed so they roll under, the plain side is exposed. 4) We are thumb oriented beings. We tend to like to separate things with our thumbs, not our fingers. If it rolls over the top, we are using our thumb to lift that edge and pull. If it rolls under, we are picking it loose with our fingers, then switching our hands around to then grab the hanging tail. Inefficient. Underhangers need a system reboot and reprogramming. Start with my housekeeper, please. :)

(next time, a lesson on printed sheets vs white and the proper way to make those beds)

Kenny Nall 3 years, 8 months ago

As long as there IS toilet paper, who cares?

milkman_dan 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm perfecting a portable bidet, based on a waterpick.