Previous   Next

Would you wear a coat made of rat fur?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on April 28, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, some of my best friends are rats.”

“Ooh, the thought of it just makes me cringe, NO!”

“Would not, positively no, not ever, thank you very much. … Maybe rabbit.”

“No. … It’s gross.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Could I get that to match my gerbil skin gloves?

Rex Russell 4 years, 4 months ago

Seriously. I have a few questions of my own. 1.Who writes these questions ? 2. Did the writer eat paint chips as a child? 3. Is the writer in 3rd grade? 4. How low on the LJW staff foodchain do you have to be to get the job of -Question on the Street- writer?

sourpuss 4 years, 4 months ago

I've said this before, but if the question is derived from a story, they should provide a link to the story like every other newspaper does.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

BTW, TOB, I'm still waiting for you to send your measurements for the custom lemur-skin thong you wanted.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 4 months ago

I just want a hat with the Tail hanging down..

Liberty275 4 years, 4 months ago

What color rat? I could pimp hard in a white ratfur overcoat. LULZ.

"I actually saw a dude with a rat tail style hair cut yesterday"

The mullet is coming back baby! Mine rocked in the 80s and so did my IROC.

somedude20 4 years, 4 months ago

Wonder if PETA would stand up for a rat or if they have no problem with this

somedude20 4 years, 4 months ago

After reading that Roe, I now want a PETA skin jacket!!!

bad_dog 4 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm. How about peta pan in a pan-fried pita?

Newell_Post 4 years, 4 months ago

When you get right down to it, there really isn't all that much difference between a rat and a mink......

whats_going_on 4 years, 4 months ago

No, I'd rather wear one made by child slaves in China.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 4 months ago

Thanks TOB. I can't speak as to the taste, but rat meat looks just like chicken based on high school biology. Male rats get a musk and greasy streak down their backs, just like minks. That should probably be taken into consideration before coats are made out of them.

JerkStore 4 years, 4 months ago

I probably wouldn't but my friend Bob Sacamano would.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 4 months ago

Did Bob Sacamano wear the rat hat? I can't remember.

Kontum1972 4 years, 4 months ago

if u were a rat would u wear human fur?

VC like rat meat.. cat and rat taste pretty much the same..except rat needs nookmam sauce to kick it...

riverdrifter 4 years, 4 months ago

I've got a muskrat coat I bought from Eddie Bauer when it was a real company thirty years ago. Come to think of it, where IS that coat?!

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Only if they had spots like a leopard.

Tom Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

I have a really warm marmot-fur coat I wear in the winter, but I draw the line at rat fur...like the guy above said, some of my best friends and closest associates are rats, and that would just be gross...LOL!

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

"Does beaver taste like chicken or fish?" Now when I made an innocent remark (I thought) on the Ferral Hog blog the other day, people were quick to point out it could be taken another, not so innocent, way. I took some good natured teasing over that one, all in fun of course. So I can't believe you let consumer1 sneak by on this one, you guys are slipping.

denak 4 years, 4 months ago

Ewwww, no. I have had rats as pets and they are hands done some of the best animals to have as pets. They are friendly, highly intelligent and rarely if ever bite. They are very people oriented so if you have a child who wants a pet they can play with a lot, get a rat. They (the child and the rat) wil have a lot of fun together.

Dena

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

OK, that guy is just scary looking.

somedude20 4 years, 4 months ago

I found a story on this whole rat coat thing. "These 20-lb. river-dwelling rats are the latest in line to die in the name of fashion: Apparently designers dig their "badass" fur. (TheFrisky)"

btw, Bob Dylan looks like a 150lbs rat

bad_dog 4 years, 4 months ago

I'd rather give a bald rat a human-hair toupee...

somedude20 4 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Rat Man Hey! Mr. Rat Man, can I make a coat from you I’m not warm and there is no heat where I’m going to Hey! Mr. Rat Man, I’m making a coat from you In the cold winter morning I’ll come cut you Though I know that you’re a big rat my my scissors are quite sharp The parts I don’t use can be made into a rug Your hairiness amazes me, I’m knocked off my feet I have no coat to meet And the fur you have is great and your face is not meant for dreaming

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

So I go looking for funny or cute rat pictures and go to this website for cute pictures of rats. Now I just can't decide if the advertising was intentional or if it just ended up that way.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 4 months ago

Rat coat? Coyote coat? Both better than a dog coat....Woof, woof.

I'm beginning to like this Texas governornator... He wants to protect dogs from low life varmints. Woof, Woof.

Texas Gov. Perry fatally shoots coyote

By Associated Press Wednesday, April 28, 2010

AUSTIN -- Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry (R) told the Associated Press on Tuesday that he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he carries his .380 Ruger -- loaded with hollow-point bullets -- when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. But when a coyote came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged..........

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

So do you think the Terminix ad was a coincidence?

independant1 4 years, 4 months ago

Better double check that fur the hubby gave you.

LIO was bred— the first rat of the colour I termed “lilac”. He was a capped with too much colour, but that colour which started out looking rather like Mink, turned into a lighter bluer shade. His children, when bred back to a Pastel doe, were also self (non-agouti) rather than agouti, and some were even more lilac-y, developing a lovely pink tinge when adult.

Critiques from the shows were directed at the minkish colour they appeared to be— they got short shrift as poor minks but I remained unconvinced; if the appearance was deceptive, I knew that genetically they were not mink and not cinnamon, they were something different. I kept Blue Vinney firmly in mind. If the “lilacs” looked Mink, the “lilac” pastel agoutis were definitely more of a difference from Cinnamon.