Previous   Next

Would you wear a coat made of rat fur?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on April 28, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, some of my best friends are rats.”

“Ooh, the thought of it just makes me cringe, NO!”

“Would not, positively no, not ever, thank you very much. … Maybe rabbit.”

“No. … It’s gross.”

Comments

independant1 3 years, 11 months ago

Better double check that fur the hubby gave you.

LIO was bred— the first rat of the colour I termed “lilac”. He was a capped with too much colour, but that colour which started out looking rather like Mink, turned into a lighter bluer shade. His children, when bred back to a Pastel doe, were also self (non-agouti) rather than agouti, and some were even more lilac-y, developing a lovely pink tinge when adult.

Critiques from the shows were directed at the minkish colour they appeared to be— they got short shrift as poor minks but I remained unconvinced; if the appearance was deceptive, I knew that genetically they were not mink and not cinnamon, they were something different. I kept Blue Vinney firmly in mind. If the “lilacs” looked Mink, the “lilac” pastel agoutis were definitely more of a difference from Cinnamon.

Pywacket 3 years, 12 months ago

Oh, lord, no! Not because I care about the little rodents, but because I am allergic to the damned things. Discovered that in a biology class...

If I had any doubts, they were confirmed a few years later when my boa constrictor got big enough to go from eating mice to young rats. Rats make me break out in red bumps, make my eyes red & watery, and make me sneeze. I had to grab them by the tails & give them to the boa, then scrub my hands real good to avoid breaking out.

Now that I don't have a boa, I have no need of rat contact, and would just as soon keep it that way. My little corn snake eats mice and I am not allergic to them. In fact, I do fine with guinea pigs, gerbils, rabbits, squirrels, and any other rodent I've ever met. How about a squirrel coat--with several bushy tails hanging from the hem? Would that be considered Midwest haute couture?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 12 months ago

space, When I mention the anarchist thing they all shy away like it is a bad thing.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 12 months ago

So, did they Ketamine those rats to pose them like that or what? I was in charge of a lot of rats, and I can't see them going to sleep like that when something is going on, lol. They are too interested in what's happening and on the move.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 12 months ago

Rat coat? Coyote coat? Both better than a dog coat....Woof, woof.

I'm beginning to like this Texas governornator... He wants to protect dogs from low life varmints. Woof, Woof.

Texas Gov. Perry fatally shoots coyote

By Associated Press Wednesday, April 28, 2010

AUSTIN -- Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry (R) told the Associated Press on Tuesday that he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he carries his .380 Ruger -- loaded with hollow-point bullets -- when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. But when a coyote came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged..........

LadyJ 3 years, 12 months ago

So I go looking for funny or cute rat pictures and go to this website for cute pictures of rats. Now I just can't decide if the advertising was intentional or if it just ended up that way.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

Hey, all you goatee wearers. 1996 just called. It wants 'em back. And just a clarification: a goatee is chin hair, no mustache. That manly thing that includes chin hair and a mustache is called a Vandyke. But I guess that pig got out of the pen a long time ago. Just keep calling it a goatee if you have to wear one. I shave in the shower so it's too much trouble. Plus, mine comes out all gray anyway.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

Ret, you are a wealth of knowledge. Why you aren't a political science teacher is beyond me. Seriously. Plus, no wonder senators can't get anything done. Who wants a bunch of half-horse, half-human creatures making all the decisions. Especially Nancy Pelosi. She has the face of a horse.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 12 months ago

These invasive imported nutria nearly irrevocably damage wetlands. I say put the pelts to good use.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 12 months ago

I'm going to change my avatar also. Gotta think of something.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 12 months ago

space that was Arlen not Phil. Because that rat bastard Specter’s blind obedience to Harry Reid’s big-government agenda, hardworking Americans will be saddled with trillion dollar deficits, sky-rocketing taxes, increased government control over their health care decisions, and more taxpayer-funded backroom deals.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

I disagree. Bob Dylan is beautiful. He only sounds like a rat. Now I'm gonna change my avatar again.

bad_dog 3 years, 12 months ago

I'd rather give a bald rat a human-hair toupee...

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

I found a story on this whole rat coat thing. "These 20-lb. river-dwelling rats are the latest in line to die in the name of fashion: Apparently designers dig their "badass" fur. (TheFrisky)"

btw, Bob Dylan looks like a 150lbs rat

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

I damn near wore a rat coat, once. See, in Hawaii, at about twilight, you can see them jumping in droves into the Ala Wai Canal. I was passed out in the back of my station wagon one night. I woke up in the middle of the night and there was a rat laying on my chest. That sucker must have been 2 feet long and it's teeth were about 2 inches from my face. I wasn't hallucinating, either. I immediately yacked all over it and it jumped out the window. I guess the moral to the story is never leave your windows down when you sleep in the car, no matter how hot it is.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

While the released version of the song was very successful, the post-production modifications to the song by producer Phil Spector angered McCartney to the point that when he made his case in court for breaking up The Beatles as a legal entity, McCartney cited the treatment of "The Long and Winding Road" as one of six reasons for doing so.

I bet Phil plays a lot of "switch" in prison. I can't go into details in this forum, but if you're curious, send me a private message.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

Ret, Phil Spector is in prison. He murded a B-actress. He also murded "The Long and Winding Road" by the Beatles with his crappy Wall of Sound technique. Paul didn't want a bunch of strings and wailing women's voices dubbed into it. Paul never forgave him. Oh, and they made Phil take off his silly wig for his mugshot. I think it was on fire, anyway. http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2009/news/090622/phil-spector-4x4.jpg

denak 3 years, 12 months ago

Ewwww, no. I have had rats as pets and they are hands done some of the best animals to have as pets. They are friendly, highly intelligent and rarely if ever bite. They are very people oriented so if you have a child who wants a pet they can play with a lot, get a rat. They (the child and the rat) wil have a lot of fun together.

Dena

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

I still wear a rat tail. It's cool.

LadyJ 3 years, 12 months ago

"Does beaver taste like chicken or fish?" Now when I made an innocent remark (I thought) on the Ferral Hog blog the other day, people were quick to point out it could be taken another, not so innocent, way. I took some good natured teasing over that one, all in fun of course. So I can't believe you let consumer1 sneak by on this one, you guys are slipping.

Tom Miller 3 years, 12 months ago

I have a really warm marmot-fur coat I wear in the winter, but I draw the line at rat fur...like the guy above said, some of my best friends and closest associates are rats, and that would just be gross...LOL!

beatrice 3 years, 12 months ago

Only if they had spots like a leopard.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 12 months ago

Squirrel is just a tree rat, and we have all ate those before.

riverdrifter 3 years, 12 months ago

I've got a muskrat coat I bought from Eddie Bauer when it was a real company thirty years ago. Come to think of it, where IS that coat?!

Kontum1972 3 years, 12 months ago

if u were a rat would u wear human fur?

VC like rat meat.. cat and rat taste pretty much the same..except rat needs nookmam sauce to kick it...

rodentgirl16 3 years, 12 months ago

Did Bob Sacamano wear the rat hat? I can't remember.

JerkStore 3 years, 12 months ago

I probably wouldn't but my friend Bob Sacamano would.

rodentgirl16 3 years, 12 months ago

Thanks TOB. I can't speak as to the taste, but rat meat looks just like chicken based on high school biology. Male rats get a musk and greasy streak down their backs, just like minks. That should probably be taken into consideration before coats are made out of them.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 12 months ago

R_I, you're double daring me aren't you? LOL. If you only knew the FB emails that were flying around before 8 am this morning, you'd be rolling. Must be spring or something, making people ornery, keeping the jailers busy. Wonder if the buildings will start attacking again. I just looked at Molly on the couch, she didn't seem very fluffy to me. Fun, but not fluffy. I've regretting not having some of my pet's furs saved after their passing. Autie, I would think on a stick, with ginger spikes, end glaze with orange peel, fire oil, etc. Maybe even tempura.

autie 3 years, 12 months ago

when you come right down to it, rat is pretty much like prarie squid if you slow roast them long enough...a little of Gates' original sauce, and there you go...

whats_going_on 3 years, 12 months ago

No, I'd rather wear one made by child slaves in China.

windchimes 3 years, 12 months ago

only to see the liar & traitor Dick Cheney who 'ratted out' Valerie Plume ----

Newell_Post 3 years, 12 months ago

When you get right down to it, there really isn't all that much difference between a rat and a mink......

CWGOKU 3 years, 12 months ago

Isn't that how the black plague started?

Great answer Matt!

And, stupid question

rodentgirl16 3 years, 12 months ago

Hell no! Bunch of barbarians...

consumer1 3 years, 12 months ago

The question on the street today is. Does beaver taste like chicken or fish? Since it is a mamal but it lives in water? He he...

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 12 months ago

Not fluffy enough for my tastes, nor the right color.The furs they were wearing at the Iditarod were amazing. But my cats and the dog would love to play with it, keep it as a buddy. Well, ok, the one cat that used to be an outdoor cat would probably take it out with one swift chomp cuz he's got talent, but the other would cherish it.

autie 3 years, 12 months ago

sumer1, it is an 'A' game day for you. Plus'ens, I ain't thought bout bill otto in a couple of months.....Or at least since I thought bout stupidiity in the state house of representatives. peta pan peta butter is the best peta butter in peta butter cookies.

consumer1 3 years, 12 months ago

Personally, I like Peta pan the best. Then come's skippy, then HyVee brand. Chunky peta pan is my fav.

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

Wonder if PETA would stand up for a rat or if they have no problem with this

consumer1 3 years, 12 months ago

Think about it, if we all started wearing rat skin coats, the supply of lawyers would soon run out. Then we would all have to start thinking on our own again. Just say no to rat skin coats. How about an O'possum coat? The other white meat.

Liberty275 3 years, 12 months ago

What color rat? I could pimp hard in a white ratfur overcoat. LULZ.

"I actually saw a dude with a rat tail style hair cut yesterday"

The mullet is coming back baby! Mine rocked in the 80s and so did my IROC.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 12 months ago

xbusguy -

I actually saw a dude with a rat tail style hair cut yesterday. I don't believe I've seen one of those since the 90s.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 12 months ago

I just want a hat with the Tail hanging down..

autie 3 years, 12 months ago

I was gone yesterday and when I got home, I looked at the OTS to discover I missed nothing. Then, guess what happened early this morning? I'm going on a white cheddar hunt.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 12 months ago

Rex, Someone who reads some foo foo venti skinny no whip sugar free mocha cinnamon soy dolce latte drink inspired rag like Vanity Fair, or has looked into the real cause of the levee failures in New Orleans.
Imported Asian nutria rats.
Brought to this country just after they banned marijuana. They used to send out the SWAT teams for nighttime shooting practice to reduce the numbers of these invasive rats. And someone kept one as a pet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBkXlj...

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 12 months ago

If it isn't lemur, it isn't on me.

Rex Russell 3 years, 12 months ago

Seriously. I have a few questions of my own. 1.Who writes these questions ? 2. Did the writer eat paint chips as a child? 3. Is the writer in 3rd grade? 4. How low on the LJW staff foodchain do you have to be to get the job of -Question on the Street- writer?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 12 months ago

It's Specter Switch Day! One year ago today, where were you when the Senate stood still... And Specter announced he would switch parties?

autie 3 years, 12 months ago

How many rats does it take to make a coat? One? One really, really big rat.

RoeDapple 3 years, 12 months ago

Could I get that to match my gerbil skin gloves?