Previous   Next

What do you look for in a doctor?

Asked at Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa on April 22, 2010

Browse the archives

“Is he on my insurance plan? ”

“What I would like to see is a menu of prices for everything they provide. ”

“Someone who will listen and work with you, and also be open to complementary medicine in addition to Western medicine. ”

“Someone I can relate to. I like to ask a lot of questions, and some doctors appear to be put off by that.”

Comments

Kat Christian 3 years, 11 months ago

A Doctor who isn't too busy to see you. I hate it when I call for an appointment and can't get in to for 3 weeks to a month - sometimes over a month. I don't call the Doctor unless I deem it necessary to see one and that would mean within 2-3 days not months. I figure if they are too busy to then time to find another one.

zikzak 3 years, 12 months ago

I prefer my doctor to arrive in a blue box and use only one instrument - a sonic screwdriver.

beatrice 3 years, 12 months ago

Medical degree that isn't from a tropical island in the Bahamas.

LadyJ 3 years, 12 months ago

One who doesn't charge for an extended visit if you ask one question. Seriously my dad was charge extra and when he called and asked why he was told he asked a question and the doctor answered. My doctor does the same thing.

toe 3 years, 12 months ago

Minimum price and minimum care.

whats_going_on 3 years, 12 months ago

someone who is compassionate and kind...someone who will listen to my concerns without making me feel stupid or as I'm wasting their time...someone who will talk to me like a concerned friend rather than a stiff, by-the-book doctor.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

Correction. I got 10 migraine pills for $180. $18/pill. Boy, oh boy.......

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

I prefer Tony Bennet covers of Nirvana songs. And of course, the William Shatner cover of "Mr. Tamborine Man", and Sebastion Cabbot doing "It Ain't Me, Babe". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnxtVE... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo522W...

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

I also like good muzak. I'm talk about John Tesh doing instrumental versions of Hot for Teacher, Baba O'riley, Ride the Lightning, Seasons in the Abyss, The Man in Me (for you spacebob), and of course anything from Sabbath (Ozzy years only)

Studies show that if your doc has good taste in music there is a 13.1% chance that you will live longer (if you believe that you should ask for a consult for a lobotomy)

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

Oh, Doctor, doctor, can't you see I'm burning, burning Oh, Doctor, doctor, is this love I'm feeling?

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

Okay folks. Here's how it works. The True Axis of Evil is composed of Physicians, insurance providers and pharmamceutical companies. They're all in bed together. With no insurance, I pay $100 for a 5 minute doctor visit. A while back, I picked up a scrip for migraine pils for my wife. $100 for 18 pills, Yep, $10/pill, and that was WITH her employer insurance. Wha?!

riverdrifter 3 years, 12 months ago

I just want know how well my doc can hit a one iron. If he can hit a good one iron then he can do anything.

K_Verses_The_World 3 years, 12 months ago

My best friend, my doctor Won’t even say what it is I’ve got

Bob Dylan - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

Great true story. A number of years ago, a friend of mine went in for the old clip 'n snip. A well-known, retired doctor did the surgery. As my friend was leaving, he walked past a dark room and saw the doctor in there smoking a cigarette and shaking like a leaf. Yikes.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

My doctor is one of those Dr. Feelgood types. He'll give me anything I want. I usually just hand him the usual list: Morphine, Dilaudid, Demerol, Vicodin, Oxycontin, Xanax, Ativan, Seroquel, Diprivan(Micheal Jackson Juice), Librium, Amphetamines, HGH, and Steroids. He usually give sme a pile of free samples. He didn't used to be like that, but I threatened to report him for molesting me. Now it's pretty much like a trip to the candy store.

Richard Payton 3 years, 12 months ago

Make certain your doc drinks so hands shakes.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

I'm looking for an OB/GYN. I'm due for a prostate exam in 5 years and it's gonna have to be a female, a nice looking one. I had a female doctor once. She told me she needed to take my pulse, so I started ripping my clothes off. When I got down to my drawers, she threw her stethoscope at me and ran screaming from the room.

spacehog 3 years, 12 months ago

Yes, the Merc! How come nothing about holistic healing, the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, or compost heaps? #1 and #4 win a free pair of my underwear. A hippie and beat poet with a beret, a soul patch, and trendy glasses! Standard looks for the Merc.

1029 3 years, 12 months ago

I make sure that everyone I do business with is a White Christian who shares my love for firearms and my distrust of big government. To accomplish this, I've developed a series of questions that I use to discreetly figure out if a person is secretly working for the socialists. I asked these questions before choosing my doctor, accountant, mechanic, landscaper, etc. And there are also businesses that I won't go to if they fail my Question Test. For instance, I stopped shopping at that Dillon's on 23rd because I think they may have a socialist working in their deli.

9070811 3 years, 12 months ago

We can't see prices up front because it is dependent upon our cumulation of services and our insurance plans.

denak 3 years, 12 months ago

A good nurse practicioner. I like my doctor but I love his nurse. I really think the support staff a doctor has makes all the difference in terms of service provided. If I have a question, I can call Kelly and ask her and she will know the answer. If I can't get in to see him, I ask for her because often times what I need isn't major, it just has to be taken care of.

The same with my son's pediatrician. Sometimes she is booked and so I ask for her nurse and boom, we can get in that day and I think often times, we get better care from the nurses than the doctors simply because they don't have appointments stacked over each other and they have a little more time to sit and talk to us.

Dena

IndusRiver 3 years, 12 months ago

All doctors should be made in the image of Dr. Robert Carnahan (ret.) - a Saint. Bless his precious, sweet, golden heart.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 12 months ago

Someone who didn't attend medical school in a former Soviet satellite or a third world country.

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

is a happy ending out of the question?

sherbert 3 years, 12 months ago

I like doctors who are not so quick to put on you medication for every little thing. Work it out naturally and do everything you can before writing a prescription.

CWGOKU 3 years, 12 months ago

Dang! Snap beat me to it with the warm hands comment. My Doctor is my next door neighbor and he takes good care of me so I can help him with his yard work and keep an eye on his house when he is out of town. Good situation for me.

autie 3 years, 12 months ago

anybody going out to litter a pristine stream today? dance under a rock? pray to a tree? buy a curly lightbulb?

prospector 3 years, 12 months ago

Bob, I have been there so I am not the one to ask.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 12 months ago

I've never looked inside a doctor before. Is looking in a doctor a common practice?

Spacehog is going to lose his poop today after reading where this question was asked.

autie 3 years, 12 months ago

Ditto a lot of the above. The dr. should have the skills to listen to you. frankly, the better the doc is at BS'ing..shootin the breeze....tell a few jokes...the better off you are. Dear old dad was a GP for forty plus years...No nonsense kind of guy. Liked old fashion remedies...not because they were wierd or anything, but because they worked. ..acid reflux, go chop a cord of wood or roto till two acres of garden plot...And none of that hocus pocus hippie nonsense some of those kids hold with so much these days. His office nurse always told us he could have made a lot more money if he didn't talk so damn much....

g_rock 3 years, 12 months ago

Someone that listens. And I didn't feel like my doctor was listening yesterday morning. I know they hear the same issues over and over, but a canned response and generic advice is not what I'm looking for when I'm talking to you about an issue.

davidsmom 3 years, 12 months ago

I want one who actually LISTENS to me and truly connects with me. I wants one who doesn't always act like he's in a hurry to get to the next patient. I want one who appreciates a holistic approach. I want one who lets me know that he's just as human as I am. I want one who appreciates discussing the information I've provided him about myself and the research I've done on my own. I want one who will take the time to answer as many questions as I have to ask. And I like for him to be a runner. I have several like this - an OB/GYN, an orthopedic sports medicine physician, a chiropractor and a podiatrist...and I absolutely love them.

devobrun 3 years, 12 months ago

Primary care medicine is faced with conflicting goals: 1) reduce prices. 2) better public relations 3) flexible treatment

The 4 respondents to your question answered with needs that don't add up. You can't reduce prices without limiting care.

You can't charge less while providing western care for some things and non-scientific care for others. This is an expansion of the care given and it costs money.

You can't sit in your office and talk at length about the rhino virus you have and how you can treat it with steroids, zinc, vitamin c and chicken soup for a half hour and expect it to be $15.

Inserting a middle man (insurance) only increases the cost.

Look for primary care doctors (general internists and family practice) to go away over the next few years. They will be replaced by nurse practitioners. Or maybe some new category of primary health care worker. Triage nurse, entry nurse.....whatever.

The interface between a service provider and the population in the modern world is best observed at Walmart or Micky-Ds. Fast, impersonal, low wages.

Expect primary health care to be delivered by CVS and triage nurses at an increasing level. If you want to talk to the nurse....forget it. They will follow a protocol. You will accept the protocol.

There will be few options. Medicine....soviet style.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 12 months ago

A doctor that will agree that I am "under Height" .not. "over weight"

autie 3 years, 12 months ago

I find going to the Dr. to be a much better eperience now that my new doctor is young, pretty and hot.

LadyJ 3 years, 12 months ago

Jean has it right, why can't we see the prices up front?

independant1 3 years, 12 months ago

I prefer Doctors with an MD who'll treat and give an opinion and ship you off to specialist when necessary.

Had some really wierd, no, really really really really wierd accupuncture treatments this century. Ins covered it. Right up there with voodoo in my book.

Holisitic docs? uh uh.

Psychiatrists? yup

When a doctor has pulled you through why you always got a warm place in your heart for him. (Will Rogers) Cardio vascular and other specialists? yup

RoeDapple 3 years, 12 months ago