Previous   Next

Do you use Foursquare?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 12, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, because I’m pretty primitive with the cell phone.”

“I do not, but I use Twitter. I don’t necessarily want everybody to know where I am all the time.”

“No, I don’t … I’m not into the whole Twitter thing, saying what you’re doing at every moment of your life.”

“No, I do not. I don’t have an iPhone.”

Related story

Comments

Katara 4 years, 8 months ago

Not currently but as a kid I used it all the time at recess.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Uh . . . . What was the question? . . .

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh.. . . What the heck is foursquare?

;-)

(thanks)

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 8 months ago

I would use it if I had a better phone. Am saving my pennies for the Android.

I signed up for an account and somehow indicated to it that I live in Paris, France. Whoops. Could be worse.

I'll fix that when I have a chance to use the darn thing.

flux 4 years, 8 months ago

I've never heard of foursquare, except for the game played at recess in grade school

geekyhost 4 years, 8 months ago

Ironically, that was the product first invented by the guy who made Foursquare. True story. Google bought Dodgeball and killed it. He left the company and made Foursquare.

Ceallach 4 years, 8 months ago

Once again I can be accused of being one of the uninformed sigh and this is one of the rare times I will admit to it :) What is four square? Surely there is someone out there eager to inform us.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey - can you adapt that game to use a real ball? Or can you only do it on a phone?

ontheroadfitness 4 years, 8 months ago

I did for a few days but then I got tired of it. Always trying out new iPhone apps only to find most of them are pointless. :)

Ceallach 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, RI, in Béal Feirste (Belfast to you), we just played Dodge Bullets (no squares, no paint, and the balls were either orange or green).

Katara 4 years, 8 months ago

It is not his teeth that he can do that with...

Ceallach 4 years, 8 months ago

You know, of course, that you just caused a shiver of fear down the spines of many male posters :)

9070811 4 years, 8 months ago

Man, I loved to play Foursquare at recess!

But all that social media crap just makes people more self centered.

feeble 4 years, 8 months ago

no, I'm not interested in telling the world my exact, geographical location, 24/7.

Foursquare is an app for would be robbers and stalkers, and a terrible, terrible breach of privacy for everyone else.

geekyhost 4 years, 8 months ago

Or, you know, you could only share your location with people on your friend's list and only when you wanted to be social, the way the app was intended to be used. That way if I'm grabbing a cup of coffee, my friends could see it and stop by if they chose.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 8 months ago

Yea. And I'm the Mayor of someone's mama's basement.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

"Multidisciplinary (anonymous) says… I was upwind of a burn for the better part of the last 30 hours." I read that as "... upwind of a bum for the better part of the last 30 hours." Silly me.

Ceallach 4 years, 8 months ago

snap, did you pay to use that image? If not, you gotta lotta splainin to do.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 8 months ago

I thought one wanted to be upwind. And on the left bank.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

No, I'm actually attached to all my friends by a series of ropes and strings. When you want to talk with someone, you pull the string to get people's attention, then you talk into the can.

Service works well in town, but is a bit spotty when traveling.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

No, I'm still trying to figure out timecube.

Warning, the website below is not for children or weak-minded prudes. Stay away from it if you are young or intellectually challenged.

You are warned.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 8 months ago

I am proud that besides the recess game, I have no idea what foursquare is! I tried myspace and facebook and really didn't like either. I will die without ever being on twitter as well.......

At some point our great-great-grandparents shook their heads in disbelief that you could call anyone on the telephone...you didn't have to go over to their house anymore for a face-to-face visit. I now feel the same about these social networks and messaging. You can have a whole relationship with another person without even seeing them, or hearing their voice. Just two keyboards conversing back and fourth in special code.

"Everybody's talking to computers, They're all dancing to a drum machine I know I'm living on the outside Scared of getting caught between I'm so cool and calculated alone in the modern world" Rick Springfield "Human Touch"

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

"At some point our great-great-grandparents shook their heads in disbelief that you could call anyone on the telephone..."

And yet I can imagine that the evolution of firearms doesn't disturb you one bit. Think the great-great-great-great grandparents could have imagined armor piercing bullets and AK-47s for use as "self defense"?

Just asking.

And even mentioning Rick Springfield is proof positive you are, indeed, on the outside. Oh, and I've never even been on either myspace or facebook, so I may indeed be further outside than you MRW.

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what "foursquare"is.