Previous   Next

Which is more aggravating: Someone runs a red light, or stops at a green light?

Asked at Judicial and Law Enforcement Center, 111 E. 11th St. on April 11, 2010

Browse the archives

I would probably say stopping at a green light, so long as they’re not running a red light after it’s been red for five seconds or so - that’s clearly putting other people in danger. But stopping on a green light aggravates me more.”

“When people run a red light because it’s more dangerous, as opposed to stopping at a green light - that causes a little bit of a delay, and might be annoying, but it’s not necessarily dangerous.”

““Stopping at a green light, because I have borderline road rage. If I’m driving, I’m probably in a hurry. And at some of the traffic lights — like at 15th and Iowa, 23rd and Iowa — if you’re stopping, I’m probably not going to make it through. And then … I’m going to be really upset.””

“Both of them, because you’re going to cause an accident one way or the other.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

"If you don't like my driving then stay off the sidewalk..."

Assume you are the best driver out there, expect others to make mistakes, concentrate on your driving. Becoming aggravated at others mistakes will only cause you to make mistakes of your own.

Gretchen, cut your license in two and stay off the street. You are much too immature to be endangering the other drivers out there.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 5 months ago

I once was in an accident because the light turned green, and before I could get moving, the car behind me slammed into the back of my car. Seems he had been looking at the light, noticed it had just turned green, and therefore assumed the way was clear.

The cops didn't buy his story!

Liberty275 4 years, 5 months ago

Cool story bro. Tell your wife to buy more cool whip next time.

Boosh 4 years, 5 months ago

They shoulda asked this at the MERC

labmonkey 4 years, 5 months ago

I have noticed that Nebraskans are notorious for stopping at green lights. I know they like seeing the color red, but for pete's sake.....GOOOOOOOOOOO!

nobody1793 4 years, 5 months ago

Huh? Do they mean "stops at a green light", or "doesn't go once a light turns green"? I have never seen anyone stop at a green light. Ever.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

I didn't know you could set it up so no avatar or icon showed up beside your name. Is it because his name is nobody? Pretty cool.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

Actually just occured to me how he did it, still pretty cool.

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

I just assumed he was a fan of the Beatles' White Album.

CreatureComforts 4 years, 5 months ago

"I have noticed that Nebraskans are notorious for stopping at green lights."

Meh, I have seen Missourians are notorious for not knowing anything about vehicular rules, regulations, norms or common sense. I avoid MO plated vehicles like they are tanks in Mogadishu

Liberty275 4 years, 5 months ago

Stopping at green lights is annoying. Waiting for a red light to turn green while no traffic is coming is a waste of time.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Most aggravating would be people who hold a cigarette at arm's length outside their car window. If it smells so bad, why do you put it in your mouth and suck on it?

Dennis MacMillan 4 years, 5 months ago

I believe the most aggravating green lighters are the ones paying more attention to the conversation on their cell phones as they sit first in line at rush hour, only to barely make it through as the light turns to red.....leaving the rest of us to wait for another cycle, and those who approach the green light as if they fear it's going to change to red just as they get there, so they prepare to stop at the green just in case (These drivers generally hang in the fast lane as they mosey along)

dajudge 4 years, 5 months ago

People being stopped at a green light bothers me more. I was driving along at the speed limit of 30mph when I saw the light up ahead was turning green, so I didn't bother slowing down, although there were two cars in my lane stopped at the light. I assumed wrongly that they would be proceeding on their way when the light changed to green, but, there they sat, not going and with the tiny bit of rain on the oil slicked street, there was no stopping for me until I rammed into the back of the one car, which then hit the car in front that wasn't going on green. I got the ticket for following too close.

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

Green light stoppage I'd qualify as aggravating. Red light running I'd say is more along the lines of dangerous or deadly.

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

Jonas wrote exactly what I was thinking. Running red lights kills people.

tomatogrower 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm with Shannon. But I do see more people running red lights, than stopping at green lights. A whole lot more.