Previous   Next

What have you done to reduce your carbon footprint?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on April 10, 2010

Browse the archives

“We use energy-efficient light bulbs.”

“Nothing. … I rent, so I can’t get those energy-efficient appliances and I can’t afford one of those new (hybrid) cars.”

“I recycle paper and I used recyclable shopping bags.”

“I use reusable bags and I drive a 2008 Toyota Yaris. … I do everything that I can.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

i tried convertin the still to solar power but that dint work out so well... ..so then i hooked the genrator up to one them fancy tredmills . . but the ole coon dog jest never got the hang of it . . . so then it dawnd on me... to reduce my carbin foot print i will stop peein on the fire pit when the revenooers come traipsin thru the woods

there hows that

independant1 4 years, 8 months ago

Make the wife and kids take turns on treadmill.

grammaddy 4 years, 8 months ago

Re-use everything I can, recycle everything I can, we use compact fluorescent everywhere,turn down the thermostat, only use the car to get kids to school and on Saturdays for the weeks shopping and errand running, Sunday is car free.I watch the excess packaging on purchases too. Reduce ,re-use ,recycle!!

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

"My mom spoon fed it to me when I was a kid. Hence, the memory problems. "

That's almost as good as Alzheimer disease. When you can't remember anything, you can be monogamous and have a different girlfriend every night..

BigPrune 4 years, 8 months ago

That's a GREAT analogy. Maybe when Al Gore finds Bigfoot, I'll believe in the Carbon Footprint, but until then, I'll consider it a myth.

Too bad those energy efficient lightbulbs do more harm to the environment through mercury contamination, but as long as it makes the Earth Nazis happy, i guess I'll have to be happy too.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

"Maybe when Al Gore finds Bigfoot"

Not gonna happen. He spends all his time looking for manbearpig.

commuter 4 years, 8 months ago

Don't have time to reduce my carbon footprint, I work too much so I can pay more taxes to fund Merrill's pet projects.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

I wear cheerful bright clothing while double-bagging all my bodily waste.

georgiahawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I walk backwards, sweeping up my footprints so no one will see them!

kernal 4 years, 8 months ago

I eat at least a pound of beef a day and as many whole fat dairy products and bacon as I can, cuz I luv the smell of methane gas in the mornin here on Pigs Are Us Farm and cuz I can! I burn all my trash to save gas on going to the land fill and don't do it on windy days. We quit sleepin' out doors cuz of those pesky Nile Virus skeeters and 64 degree air conditioning at night is easier to sleep in anyways. Cain't sleep without blankets! It's our God given right! As for the lady (?) who honked at me cuz she didn't like the smoke blowin' out my tailpipe, get off the road, Woman, if you don't like my smoke! Jeeze. As for all that trash I dumped along the road through the Baker Wetlands, I figure the beavers and the geese can recycle some of it. No big deal.

nobody1793 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't subscribe to the print edition of the LJW.

notajayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

"and driving an old but somewhat efficient car is actually less of a carbon footprint than buying a new hybrid that requires a huge carbon footprint to manufacture."

Um - wouldn't that also apply to the refrigerator, dishwasher, water heater, and even the storm windows and doors - and light bulbs?

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

LOL. I love starting the vette and letting it idle next to the house and listening to the exhaust rattle the dishes inside our kitchen cabinets.. I also get a kick every time I drive by some geek's car and set off his alarm.

Jay_lo 4 years, 8 months ago

I let the wife do all the driving, and am encouraging several people I know to stop exhaling.

Seriously though...energy efficient heat and a/c replacement with programable thermostat, screwy bulbs, recycling aluminum cans,and in the process of replacing all windows.

Mary Darst 4 years, 8 months ago

I recycle, all florescent lights, no plastic bags at grocery, Paper or my own. All apliances are energy star. 6 inch walls in my house, We are total electric and my electric is less that $120 a month...(average billing). Recycle leaves and mowed grass as mulch. I believe you should do what you can for the earth because it is the smarter thing to do. We are WAY too wastefull.

cfdxprt 4 years, 8 months ago

Charlie,

I might hit $90 on the worst summer month. I don't do crap; I live in a house size that meets my needs. High horse - get off...

tomatogrower 4 years, 8 months ago

The other day there was a sad political cartoon in the paper. A man was exited about his new Ipad, and was saying how he could now go paperless, yet standing at the outlet was a little coal miner. May the coal miners rest in peace, and their families find peace. I'm going to go unplug a few things, including my now fully charged laptop.

grammaddy 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks spacehog! That smoke you're blowing at my house doesn't smell like burning styrofoam. It smells like the DEA is burning evidence. Thanks again!!

George Lippencott 4 years, 8 months ago

Be careful, big brother is monitoring. If we don’t all claim to be doing good things they will pass laws/or the (EPA/OSHA/ will) to make you. We have spent at least a dollar on new light bulbs, put diapers on the dogs, aged the mower so it spews more carbon (better than a new one made with carbon), wash only at midnight, disconnected the thermostat sent more money to Westar and more! Whoops – that will get me in real trouble.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

I try to not step in the ashes after dumping the barbecue.

But seriously though, since I don't believe the anthropogenic global warming lie, I never worry about my carbon footprint.

Katara 4 years, 8 months ago

Seems kind of difficult to do seeing as I'm a carbon based life form...