Previous   Next

What have you done to reduce your carbon footprint?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on April 10, 2010

Browse the archives

“We use energy-efficient light bulbs.”

“Nothing. … I rent, so I can’t get those energy-efficient appliances and I can’t afford one of those new (hybrid) cars.”

“I recycle paper and I used recyclable shopping bags.”

“I use reusable bags and I drive a 2008 Toyota Yaris. … I do everything that I can.”

Comments

SLOPOKE 4 years ago

Cut down on my morning walk's..

bobberboy 4 years ago

defender - they came across the unusual idea that quality at a reasonable price sells.

Defender 4 years ago

I bought flourescent light bulbs. Then I offset that with my new (okay, used) Mercedes Benz. I loved the heated seats until recently though! Why does Germany build such wonderful cars?

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

Kinoki Footpads of course!!!

Katara 4 years ago

Seems kind of difficult to do seeing as I'm a carbon based life form...

Benjamin Roberts 4 years ago

Beano! Be the first to graduate from the Beano University of Gas: http://www.beanogas.com/UofGas.aspx

Liberty275 4 years ago

I try to not step in the ashes after dumping the barbecue.

But seriously though, since I don't believe the anthropogenic global warming lie, I never worry about my carbon footprint.

paulette2 4 years ago

sold a 1974 inefficient car in 2008

spacehog 4 years ago

Yeah, those bastards stop by about once a month. Last time they burned 8lbs. of homegrown and 4 bricks of powder. Sorry about the smell. Just thought I'd spread some enlightenment.

George Lippencott 4 years ago

Be careful, big brother is monitoring. If we don’t all claim to be doing good things they will pass laws/or the (EPA/OSHA/ will) to make you. We have spent at least a dollar on new light bulbs, put diapers on the dogs, aged the mower so it spews more carbon (better than a new one made with carbon), wash only at midnight, disconnected the thermostat sent more money to Westar and more! Whoops – that will get me in real trouble.

grammaddy 4 years ago

Thanks spacehog! That smoke you're blowing at my house doesn't smell like burning styrofoam. It smells like the DEA is burning evidence. Thanks again!!

tomatogrower 4 years ago

The other day there was a sad political cartoon in the paper. A man was exited about his new Ipad, and was saying how he could now go paperless, yet standing at the outlet was a little coal miner. May the coal miners rest in peace, and their families find peace. I'm going to go unplug a few things, including my now fully charged laptop.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

I exclusively use off-road diesel in my hummer.

Mary Darst 4 years ago

I recycle, all florescent lights, no plastic bags at grocery, Paper or my own. All apliances are energy star. 6 inch walls in my house, We are total electric and my electric is less that $120 a month...(average billing). Recycle leaves and mowed grass as mulch. I believe you should do what you can for the earth because it is the smarter thing to do. We are WAY too wastefull.

Jay_lo 4 years ago

I let the wife do all the driving, and am encouraging several people I know to stop exhaling.

Seriously though...energy efficient heat and a/c replacement with programable thermostat, screwy bulbs, recycling aluminum cans,and in the process of replacing all windows.

paulette2 4 years ago

went from a V6 auto to a straight 4 cylinder

spacehog 4 years ago

Recycling. Hmmm. I have a friend. He hates WalMart. But he drives all the way from the west side to go to the recycling center. I keep telling him he'd save a lot of gas and global warming(yeah, good one) if he just put the stuff in the trash. He won't listen.

spacehog 4 years ago

kernal, we gotta party sometime! I'm a city boy, but I call my house Psychos R Us. We could get loaded, start our cars and leave 'em running and have a giant tire bonfire in in the back yard. Or this would be cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNYAtY...

paulette2 4 years ago

also have cut back on fireplace wood to only about 1/2 cord per winter.

paulette2 4 years ago

Not much really just a few small steps.

about 1/2 new light bulbs

a new refrigerator in 2007, an on demand gas water heater in 2006, some new storm windows & doors, and a bit of rigid insulation in a few places.

and a new dishwasher in 2009.

just last week got the Westar watt miser thermostat hookup and look forward to that much better digital thermostat which maintains 1 degree range instead of an old mercury thermostat.

and driving an old but somewhat efficient car is actually less of a carbon footprint than buying a new hybrid that requires a huge carbon footprint to manufacture.

nobody1793 4 years ago

I don't subscribe to the print edition of the LJW.

The_Original_Bob 4 years ago

I use the back sides of all the carbon credits I have accumulated as printer paper.

kernal 4 years ago

I eat at least a pound of beef a day and as many whole fat dairy products and bacon as I can, cuz I luv the smell of methane gas in the mornin here on Pigs Are Us Farm and cuz I can! I burn all my trash to save gas on going to the land fill and don't do it on windy days. We quit sleepin' out doors cuz of those pesky Nile Virus skeeters and 64 degree air conditioning at night is easier to sleep in anyways. Cain't sleep without blankets! It's our God given right! As for the lady (?) who honked at me cuz she didn't like the smoke blowin' out my tailpipe, get off the road, Woman, if you don't like my smoke! Jeeze. As for all that trash I dumped along the road through the Baker Wetlands, I figure the beavers and the geese can recycle some of it. No big deal.

georgiahawk 4 years ago

I walk backwards, sweeping up my footprints so no one will see them!

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

I wear cheerful bright clothing while double-bagging all my bodily waste.

prospector 4 years ago

When I drink some Free State beer I feel lighter on my feet, so I must be reducing my footprint.

commuter 4 years ago

Don't have time to reduce my carbon footprint, I work too much so I can pay more taxes to fund Merrill's pet projects.

BigPrune 4 years ago

That's a GREAT analogy. Maybe when Al Gore finds Bigfoot, I'll believe in the Carbon Footprint, but until then, I'll consider it a myth.

Too bad those energy efficient lightbulbs do more harm to the environment through mercury contamination, but as long as it makes the Earth Nazis happy, i guess I'll have to be happy too.

autie 4 years ago

I cain't. Carbon footprints are like Bigfoot footprints. They ain't real footprints.

oldvet 4 years ago

I reload my own ammo...

tange 4 years ago

I no longer line my shoes with activated charcoal.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

I have these special orthotics.

spacehog 4 years ago

2008 Toyota Yaris? R.I.P., hon. I like to burn old tires and styrofoam in my back yard. I have a huge industrial fan I use to blow the smoke at grammaddy's house. And I still throw my McDonalds bags out the car window. Jeez, lighten up!

spacehog 4 years ago

When I ws at KU, we used to sneak into Corbin-GSP and hassle the girls. One night about 4 of us went door-to-door knocking and saying "GSP Maintenance". The really nice girls would let us in. We would just hang out drunk and chat for awhile, then move on. Finally, some security guard chased us. I remember going down the back stairs, jumping entire flights. We made it out to the courtyayrd, over the fence, and gone daddy gone. Later, Paco! Of course in those days there weren't many rapes or other acts of violence. We were actually good boys.

spacehog 4 years ago

Wha? Another question for the Merc. I hate those stupid corkscrew lightbulbs, except they get really hot and I can light cigarettes with them. Stupid, stupid idea. Ever heard of mercury? My mom spoon fed it to me when I was a kid. Hence, the memory problems. Soon they won't even sell the old good bulbs any more. You know I just love being forced to do things, even how to lght my house. Oh, the question. My feet stink. So I get some carbon paper and rubber bands and make shoes out of it. Anybody remember Mimeograph Machines. My first high might have come from sniffing the fresh copies. Seriously, what the hell is a carbon footprint?

grammaddy 4 years ago

Re-use everything I can, recycle everything I can, we use compact fluorescent everywhere,turn down the thermostat, only use the car to get kids to school and on Saturdays for the weeks shopping and errand running, Sunday is car free.I watch the excess packaging on purchases too. Reduce ,re-use ,recycle!!

Kash_Encarri 4 years ago

Cut back on bean burritos.

bobberboy 4 years ago

I like to vandalize HumVees whenever I can.

independant1 4 years ago

I only burn on odd days.

shicks44 4 years ago

Recycle recycle recycle!

milkman_dan 4 years ago

I've switched from depends to cloth diapers.

I love the feel of cotton.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

i tried convertin the still to solar power but that dint work out so well... ..so then i hooked the genrator up to one them fancy tredmills . . but the ole coon dog jest never got the hang of it . . . so then it dawnd on me... to reduce my carbin foot print i will stop peein on the fire pit when the revenooers come traipsin thru the woods

there hows that