Previous   Next

Would you rather donate your money or your time to a worthy cause?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 9, 2010

Browse the archives

“Time…it goes further and it means more.”

“Time, it’s easier and faster.”

“I would like to donate my time. I can be more hands-on and interact with people that are in need.”

“Probably money just because it’s easier”

Comments

spacehog 4 years ago

Cool video, Autie! I tried it last weekend. I used a chainsaw and ended up taking the tip of my left pinkie off.

whats_going_on 4 years ago

Depends. What is the project?

If I'm helping out with something like LINK, then time, I like talking to people and helping out. If we're talking about cleaning out the men's bathroom at the shelter, then holy heck...money. I'll even go to Walmart and buy the supplies.

garyr 4 years ago

I guess that could be considered time and energy :)

garyr 4 years ago

autie 4 years ago

spacehog, do not attempt what you see if this video without direct adult supervision.

PS, this is not how I do it..this kid take way too long.

smitty 4 years ago

Time and energy.

Not always so but since poverty pimping has gotten so ingrained, it's become the only way for me.

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

I've been grouching about this new computer and all it won't let me do...but I'm not getting any of the things you all are talking about. No yellow, no pop ups. No ads between comments one person mentioned. Of course, to log out, I have to actually type in a url, because I can't access what you all normally do and JK and I can't figure that one out, lol. I'm running Kaspersky7 2009, and Vista. I haven't switched over to the upgrade yet. I use Firefox with Adblock Plus. I haven't used my older computer (that let's me do much more) to see if the new changes are different there, maybe I'll have time to check it out and see if that one gets what you do. (Oh, anyone else having Firefox crashing like crazy the last few weeks? I read someone else mention it)

1029 4 years ago

Or...? What's the other option?

The_Original_Bob 4 years ago

"Mr. Kealing: What's with all of the pop-ups? Every time I click a link it shoots one up at me. No fun at all."

This.

spacehog 4 years ago

What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.

Money doesn't talk, it swears.

If I wasn't Bob Dylan, I'd probably think that Bob Dylan has a lot of answers myself. -Bob Dylan

mom_of_three 4 years ago

It depends. If the charity needs money, and I have any to spare, then i will donate money. But if the charity needs time, then i will try to donate time.

spacehog 4 years ago

I, on the other hand, have a beautiful voice. I sometimes scream when I hit the big O. The ladies love it. Many have said I sound like Pavarotti. Time Keeps Flowing Like A River To the Sea -Alan Parsons Project

spacehog 4 years ago

Well Autie, Bob will be 69 on May 24, and he sounds horrible by snob vocal standards, but it's kind of a beautiful train wreck. He's reworked a lot of the old stuff and you won't find a tighter band anywhere, especially with bassist/band leader Tony Garnier and guitarist Charlie Sexton, when he's with them. I've seen him 4 times since '86, which is nothing compared to some of the freaks who follow him everywhere. Better highs than any drug I've ever done. I saw him at the Uptown in 2008 but missed him in Salina last year. I've been to over 200 live shows, but I'm getting old, so he's the only guy I'll pay to go see any more. It's really cool to see. The band really has to watch him, 'cuz he forgets words sometimes and they are never really sure when he's gonna finish a song.

labmonkey 4 years ago

Yes...the pop-ups are annoying.

As for the question....I guess whatever I have more of at the time. You have to really care about something to give your time (which to me is worth more than money).

autie 4 years ago

spacehog, with all due respect, when you go listen to Bob live, can you actually understand the words? Last few times I've seeen him since the olden days...he just sort of mumbled a lot. Or could be that I've gotten mucho deaf since then too.

spacehog 4 years ago

Yeah, Johnny Cakes. Get rid of the damn pop-ups. I'm not taking the bait.

spacehog 4 years ago

I don't have any money, so I guess I would donate my time. It depends on how much it pays. I tried to do some volunteer work at Cirrila's last week. They called the police.

spacehog 4 years ago

Ok, Oak, you found my Achilles Heel. I apologize for some of the things I said the other day. Not all, but some. You hurt my feelings. But you're also one of the few people to say something nice about my idol, my mentor, my avatar, and spiritual advisor, the one and only Bob Dylan.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

spacehog 4 years ago

K, I'm gonna put you in charge of dropping Bob Dylan lyrics from now on. You're far more prolific about the older stuff than I. I'm more focused on the stuff he's done since 1989. If you don't have the "trilogy", Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, and Modern Times, get 'em. They're essential. And make sure to go see him next time he's here. 2+ hours of pure heaven.

autie 4 years ago

Oh, so it is going to be one of "those" Fridays. Well, fine then.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years ago

Where is the third, and highly popular, option? It is much easier to donate other people's money.

autie 4 years ago

Easy. I ain't got no money. I have a kid at that college. There be a handful that gets my time and mind.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

I'd much prefer a worthy cause, yes.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years ago

If I were the one being given to I would rather have the cash. Take me shopping and buy me something while you are giving me some of your time. How I envy Bob Dylan. The man could write. Everyone should think, is my life wroth its weight in gold and what does that mean in terms of decisions I make and how I live my life?

The_Original_Bob 4 years ago

If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years ago

You can’t take it with you and you know that it’s too worthless to be sold. They tell you, “Time is money,” as if your life was worth its weight in gold

Bob Dylan - When You Gonna Wakeup

BABBOY 4 years ago

Money. And I do make donations.

Time if it is charitable golf tournyment and that counts as time.

Otherwise, I am writing a check.....

(funny post nobody --- this must be "feel good" day at the ljworld and that is pissing me off for some reason)

Blessed4x 4 years ago

“Time, it’s easier and faster.”

— Mark Douglas, sorter, Lawrence

I'm all for volunteering, but how do you figure that one, Mark?

nobody1793 4 years ago

Neither. I usually just click on facebook groups to pretend like I'm helping.

g_rock 4 years ago

Time. My money goes to bills. I never have "extra" money.