Previous   Next

Should the board game Scrabble allow proper nouns?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 7, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, I think Scrabble has been around for a long time and they should leave it alone.”

“I think so because it’s a game, and games are about having fun.”

“Absolutely, they’re nouns, they’re part of our vocabulary.”

“Yeah, sure, because it makes it easier for people to think of words and play the game.”

Comments

gphawk89 4 years ago

Space: That was a hilarious story. I remember Boog's white bikes and even rode one or two of them, but didn't know that's what ended the program.

Multi: If you lived on 14th across from the Wheel, I have to apologize for any golf balls that might have hit your place. The lawn in front of GP Hall was a great place to tee up and let em' fly down the hill. Ah, some of the dumb things we did when we were younger.

danielz 4 years ago

That's really non sense... Let's stick to the old rules !

porch_person 4 years ago

Guinness should be poured slowly at low pressure and no proper nouns in Scrabble.

And we should have something like the Purity Law in Germany and start the eradication of bogus beer in the United States.

beatrice 4 years ago

Yes ... if they name the game something other than Scrabble.

Scrabble is a near perfect game. Don't mess with it.

tange 4 years ago

I've played SCRABBLE. All those letters are CAPITALS.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

Thats the only kind of sign I have carried.
They are kinda magical signs however, wave them enough and you end up with some dead person's stuff.

autie 4 years ago

auction signs...no, no, no. Sign signs, you know, like God Hates number two pencils, God Hates Horny Toads, or God Hates Ice cream....those kind of signs. I'm sending a proxy to the counter protest...they will hold a sign that says God Loves Crappie Fisherman.

trinity 4 years ago

nobody likes to play scrabble, nobody....oh, never mind. md-saw that you used to live on 14th across from the wheel-my youngest child's first apartment in lawrence was at 14th&ohio. crazy!

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

in that case, Texas will ban Scrabble! (or make their own version, probably with a death penalty for even associating with anyone who is suggesting proper nouns)

del888 4 years ago

Just remember, if we allow the 'proper' nouns in, then we'll have to let 'all' the nouns in. We'll have to pass legislation so that it is illegal to discriminate on the nouns based on age, sex, national orgin, race, religion, height, weight, address, hair color, etc. etc. Then soon the vowels will be screaming that they have been left out. Pretty soon there will be those terrorist adjectives invading the game. It will never stop..... Are we sure that we want to go thru this???

spacehog 4 years ago

I had a boyfriend once. He was a Nun. None in the morning, none at night. But it was cool. Our relationship was mostly cerebral and emotional, except for a little smootchie now and then. I'm 90% straight, but if I had to date a guy again, it would be Jaye Davidson, that dude in "The Crying Game". Oh, yeah.

Julie Craig 4 years ago

No. How do you look it up when someone challenges? No No No

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

autie, Like those auction signs they give you when you sign in at the sales?

autie 4 years ago

spacey, my guess is that him and his squad of lunatics may be around the union this evening. Apparently there may be events of interest there for those that carry signs and such.

spacehog 4 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Autie. If Fred's gonna be here, I have have a brand new Super Soaker full of urine waiting for him. But somebody'll have to post my bail.

autie 4 years ago

I suppose some of those deviants are the same miscreants that put all the fine money in the center of the board and landing on free parking gives you the lottery in Monopoly...heathens...

Benjamin Roberts 4 years ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (anonymous) says… "Set your own speed limit too?"

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!

Personally, I only play board games by the original rules. It keeps the arguments to a minimum. ☺

♣Free Proper Nouns♣

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

Oh man, I used to live on 14th across from the Wheel, lol. I can picture that coming down,.That hill street opening and the silhouettes from above have a presence of their own. Thanks space.

meggers 4 years ago

I demand an amendment to the state constitution protecting the sanctity of Scrabble. Allowing other people to play the game with proper nouns threatens those of us who still believe in the sanctity of one word, no caps. If we give the illiterate, immoral deviants the right to use proper nouns, where will it end? Are apostrophes next?????? Oh, the horror!

Seriously, play it however you want. I think I'll stick with the 'traditional' way, although I don't play much anymore since I discovered Quiddler. No proper nouns there, either.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

"Can't it be played that way now? It is called house rules" - DIST

Set your own speed limit too?

LoveThsLife 4 years ago

I'll never forget when I was playing my father-in-law one time and he wrote out the word "gonads".....

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years ago

That's like letting people use "yellow car" for a Y word in Scattergories. Absolutely NOT in my book!

Benjamin Roberts 4 years ago

Can't it be played that way now? It is called house rules.

autie 4 years ago

I hear tell from a confidential underground source that Fred Phelps will be on campus today. Any of you townies know anything about this?

spacehog 4 years ago

When Boog, kind hearted soul that he is, was Student Body President at KU, he started the White Bike Program. Fixed up these old bikes and painted them white. The plan was to leave them on campus so students could ride them from one building to another, then leave them there for others to use. Well, one fine spring day, my posse and I were standing on the front porch of The Wheel (I miss you, Dr. Woo), having some brew, when all of a sudden this white bike with no one on it comes flying down 14th St. It kept going for about a block, then crashed into some bushes. Cool as hell, but no more White Bike program after that.

gphawk89 4 years ago

NO! Have you seen what a lot of kids are being named lately (Tayqueatay, etc.)? Good grief, you could put together just about any combination of vowels and consonants and claim that it was a proper noun. No way to verify it one way or the other. If someone wants to play it that way, fine, but don't make it part of the official rules.

autie 4 years ago

Tayqueatay, duck bacon and coffee cake live uprecedented

Dewars bless us all, especially spacehog.

trinity 4 years ago

hells no! :)

i just learned it is national coffee cake day. bring it!

autie 4 years ago

Tayqueatay? More fun than scrabble, take a work like tayqueatay and try to say it three times real fast after drinking some good scotch.

duck bacon? Only when it gets thrown at me really hard. spacehog, how many cuss words do you know?

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

Is this the one about catching a ride with Boog on his bike?

spacehog 4 years ago

I was a bartender once. They called me the Unwashed Phenomenon. Then one day my boss says, "I can't figure out. I'm moving 50 cases of liquor a week, and I'm still not makin' a profit". He finally found out that most of it was going into my stomach. Canned again. In a bad way. He had these 2 big bouncers rip all my clothes off and throw me out in the parking lot. I had to hitchike home. But that's a whole nother story.......

spacehog 4 years ago

Boy, who comes up with these provocative questions? I have a scrabble board, but I ate most of the letters during late night burn sessions. But I saved enough to make cuss words. I only use dirty words when I play scrabble. And believe me, I know some you've never heard of. Bacon STRIPS, Ret, bacon strips.

prospector 4 years ago

No, people are making up some crazy type names these days, what with extra Y's and ae's or ea's stuck in.

Tayqueatay for a boatload. What?, I'm sure someone has that name.

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

Can't wait to hear what Oak and Space have to say on this one. Jonas, good to see you checked in early today. I cleared my schedule just in case. ;)

parrothead8 4 years ago

Welcome to the Scrabble game that never ends. Allowing proper nouns will not only make Scrabble "easier," as one of the respondees suggests, it will make it completely unchallenging.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Western civilization is tettering on the brink of total collapse.

BABBOY 4 years ago

OMG, I have been pondering that issue for decades. It has kept me up many a nights and I just cannot decide......

autie 4 years ago

My cousins called. He told me that was nouns, not nuns. It was early and I cain't see that good without my glasses.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

sigh, close enough. should be off the n, not the g

jonas_opines 4 years ago

allowing-------------

--------makes--------

--------s------r--------

---------------boringly

---------------l----------

Kat Christian 4 years ago

I agree LEAVE IT ALONE - we've already dumbed-down our school's academics. Drives me crazy how some people speak these days. And I hate it when someone uses a preposition at the end of a sentence - like "Where you at". We've lost the art of language. Leave the pronouns OUT they are still slang. Unless our purpose is to change our language into totally slang usage. In that case Ya'll dig the day, dude.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Yaaarggghhh!!! Damn caps filter.

Back to square 1

jonas_opines 4 years ago

ALLOWING------------------

------------MAKES-------------

------------S-------R-------------

---------------------BORINGLY

---------------------L-------------

Randall Barnes 4 years ago

set my oun rules slang is allowed.if i make a word that has anything to do with drinking everyone has to take a shot.hey it's all fun.

dajudge 4 years ago

And they should allow "text-speak" also. ru agreeing? rotflmao

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

Yes! Baghdad Bob for 72 points!

Stuart Evans 4 years ago

what a great marketing idea for Scrabble. package the same box, and slap a "Now With Proper Nouns" sticker across the top of it. For those who can't seem to come up with enough regular words.

Donnuts 4 years ago

Okay, well I suppose you can play the game by your own rules or make up a game that uses proper nouns. It's your choice but not with me.

autie 4 years ago

I think everybody in the Catholic church should be allowed to play, no matter how proper they may or may not be.