Previous   Next

Should the board game Scrabble allow proper nouns?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 7, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, I think Scrabble has been around for a long time and they should leave it alone.”

“I think so because it’s a game, and games are about having fun.”

“Absolutely, they’re nouns, they’re part of our vocabulary.”

“Yeah, sure, because it makes it easier for people to think of words and play the game.”

Comments

Stuart Evans 4 years, 8 months ago

what a great marketing idea for Scrabble. package the same box, and slap a "Now With Proper Nouns" sticker across the top of it. For those who can't seem to come up with enough regular words.

dajudge 4 years, 8 months ago

And they should allow "text-speak" also. ru agreeing? rotflmao

Randall Barnes 4 years, 8 months ago

set my oun rules slang is allowed.if i make a word that has anything to do with drinking everyone has to take a shot.hey it's all fun.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

ALLOWING------------------

------------MAKES-------------

------------S-------R-------------

---------------------BORINGLY

---------------------L-------------

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

Yaaarggghhh!!! Damn caps filter.

Back to square 1

Kat Christian 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree LEAVE IT ALONE - we've already dumbed-down our school's academics. Drives me crazy how some people speak these days. And I hate it when someone uses a preposition at the end of a sentence - like "Where you at". We've lost the art of language. Leave the pronouns OUT they are still slang. Unless our purpose is to change our language into totally slang usage. In that case Ya'll dig the day, dude.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

allowing-------------

--------makes--------

--------s------r--------

---------------boringly

---------------l----------

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

sigh, close enough. should be off the n, not the g

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Western civilization is tettering on the brink of total collapse.

parrothead8 4 years, 8 months ago

Welcome to the Scrabble game that never ends. Allowing proper nouns will not only make Scrabble "easier," as one of the respondees suggests, it will make it completely unchallenging.

trinity 4 years, 8 months ago

hells no! :)

i just learned it is national coffee cake day. bring it!

gphawk89 4 years, 8 months ago

NO! Have you seen what a lot of kids are being named lately (Tayqueatay, etc.)? Good grief, you could put together just about any combination of vowels and consonants and claim that it was a proper noun. No way to verify it one way or the other. If someone wants to play it that way, fine, but don't make it part of the official rules.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

That's like letting people use "yellow car" for a Y word in Scattergories. Absolutely NOT in my book!

LoveThsLife 4 years, 8 months ago

I'll never forget when I was playing my father-in-law one time and he wrote out the word "gonads".....

meggers 4 years, 8 months ago

I demand an amendment to the state constitution protecting the sanctity of Scrabble. Allowing other people to play the game with proper nouns threatens those of us who still believe in the sanctity of one word, no caps. If we give the illiterate, immoral deviants the right to use proper nouns, where will it end? Are apostrophes next?????? Oh, the horror!

Seriously, play it however you want. I think I'll stick with the 'traditional' way, although I don't play much anymore since I discovered Quiddler. No proper nouns there, either.

Julie Craig 4 years, 8 months ago

No. How do you look it up when someone challenges? No No No

del888 4 years, 8 months ago

Just remember, if we allow the 'proper' nouns in, then we'll have to let 'all' the nouns in. We'll have to pass legislation so that it is illegal to discriminate on the nouns based on age, sex, national orgin, race, religion, height, weight, address, hair color, etc. etc. Then soon the vowels will be screaming that they have been left out. Pretty soon there will be those terrorist adjectives invading the game. It will never stop..... Are we sure that we want to go thru this???

trinity 4 years, 8 months ago

nobody likes to play scrabble, nobody....oh, never mind. md-saw that you used to live on 14th across from the wheel-my youngest child's first apartment in lawrence was at 14th&ohio. crazy!

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes ... if they name the game something other than Scrabble.

Scrabble is a near perfect game. Don't mess with it.

danielz 4 years, 8 months ago

That's really non sense... Let's stick to the old rules !

gphawk89 4 years, 8 months ago

Space: That was a hilarious story. I remember Boog's white bikes and even rode one or two of them, but didn't know that's what ended the program.

Multi: If you lived on 14th across from the Wheel, I have to apologize for any golf balls that might have hit your place. The lawn in front of GP Hall was a great place to tee up and let em' fly down the hill. Ah, some of the dumb things we did when we were younger.