Previous   Next

Are you a mushroom hunter?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 3, 2010

Browse the archives

“No. … I guess I don’t need to. They’re in the shops, right?”

“No, I am not. I never have gone.”

“No, I don’t like cleaning the grit out of the mushrooms.”

“Yes, I’m actually allergic to them, but I just love the hunt.”

Comments

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

Very true Jesse. I had to post my land (someone tore down the paper signs the game warden gave me) so I put up the metal signs with nails. Mushroom season, we'll see people trapsing down right behind our house, down the creek, looking for mushrooms.

Roland Gunslinger 4 years ago

Made the mistake of showing my brother my honey holes last spring (as an example of what areas to search around). Little did I know he'd go back every day and harvest from my spots!

Rule number of 1 mushroom hunting: Don't talk about your spots- let alone show anyone where they're at.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Hey, I've got one place that's so secret that I park on the road a mile to the west and walk through the section just so nobody will see my car parked anywhere near "the valley of the giants", as I call it. Multi, white feets for another month at least: snake boots & Deep Woods Off.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

river, pshaw. I've seen your type crawling out of the woods wearing a boonie hat, carrying a bag on your back, a Cheshire Cat grin like you just pumped the neighbors dog, and armed to the teeth.
Saw it like that a lot in Northern California, except instead of morels, it was bags full of buds.

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

Be sure to wear your flip flops. I hear it's going to be warm out, time to get some sun on those dead white feet.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

R_I: I don't need a gun to run off any competition: my favorite spot is an abandoned quarry area -crawling with rattlers just coming out of hibernation. Hopefully the big morel haul will come before they're out and fully warmed & loosened up to full speed.

AnnaUndercover 4 years ago

I have a few books on common North American mushrooms, but I've never had time to actually go and look for them. I've always thought it would be cool to take some pictures.

Pywacket 4 years ago

Yes, indeed! We have morels on our property and last year we discovered some oyster mushrooms at (undisclosed location)! They are very good and much easier to clean.

Back home (Michigan) morel hunting is a huge deal--they even have morel festivals in some areas. I used to also find giant puffballs, which can get bigger than a basketball. Sliced and sauteed, they are delicious. Also easy to clean!

FAQ about puffballs: No, Poindexter, you do not try to eat them once they have dried up and are dispersing clouds of purple spores! You have to get them when they have first popped up, and the flesh is white and meaty (no naughty comparisons to Rosie O'Donnell's arse, please). Some varieties of puffball have poisonous look-alikes, and others are not particularly toothsome, but you're pretty safe with the giants.

Spacehog reminds me that it's been a long time since I've enjoyed magic mushrooms, either dried or fresh. They were so fun!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

Are you kidding? The morel hunters I have ran into are gun toting weirdos. God forbid you encroach on their territory.
They remind me of the growers I used to know around Mendocino.

ozzynbn 4 years ago

Anyone let me know if you can Morels in the grocery stores. Never seen any in the produce section. I have bought them from Pendletons. Tasty.

Dixie Jones 4 years ago

hubbie and kids go every year, looks like its gonna be a good year for em, cant wait....yum

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Yes. Been twice, found none. Might not go today but will definitely go tomorrow.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Okay okay, couple times as an undergrad too.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Not since I was in high-school.

spacehog 4 years ago

Look what's happening out in the streets Got a revolution Got to revolution Hey I'm dancing down the streets Got a revolution Got to revolution Ain't it amazing all the people I meet Got a revolution Got to revolution One generation got old One generation got sold This generation got no destination to hold Pick up the cry Hey now it's time for you and me Got a revolution Got to revolution Come on now we're marching to the sea Got a revolution Got to revolution Who will take it from you We will and who are we We are volunteers of America - Jeff Airplane

spacehog 4 years ago

Oh, hell yeah. I was up all night last night looking for magic mushrooms. You have to find the ones that the cows poop on. Those will send you to the freakin' moon!!!!!

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

Most definitely! I've been out three-four times--------it's too early. Now, with this new rainfall and the temps supposed to climb starting tomorrow, they'll be popping up. We need 2-3 really warm days/nights. My rule of thumb is when the may apples (looks like a little umbrella) are popping up and nearly at full growth, the morels are out, unless it's unusually cold. It's all about timing and the window can be a matter of days. I'm thinking we need several more days before they come out.

prospector 4 years ago

Sure, hunting the fungus among us is good for working up a thirst.

Sheila Hooper White 4 years ago

The hubby is ready but says it is a little to early.

Bill Lee 4 years ago

I used to go, but haven't in years.

Donnuts 4 years ago

Yeah, and now is the perfect time to go trying to find them.