Previous   Next

Are you excited about the start of Major League baseball this weekend?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on April 2, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, because I’m interested to see what the Royals are going to do. I’m thinking about going to Opening Day.”

“Yeah, because I love the Minnesota Twins and Joe Mauer.”

“No, I’m a Royals fan.”

“I’m a Texas Ranger fan, but I’m still into the Final Four basketball games. … Go Baylor!”

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Couple of years ago, a friend left his car parked on the Plaza in KC with two Royals tickets on his dashboard. When he came back, the driver's side window had been shattered and there were four Royals tickets on his dashboard. (recycling, it's not just for tin cans)

8ball 4 years ago

i'd rather watch paint dry

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years ago

@ Dejacrew423

I'm betting that the Royals just settled and paid the guy's medical bills.

Pywacket 4 years ago

Oh, RIVER fishin'. That explains things. Thought you were too stout-hearted to be chased off a lake by a little rain. Yes, rivers are another story. I don't think I'd stick around to get whacked by sea-goin' cottonwoods, either. Be a hell of a thing to see from a safe distance, though.

Pretty calm around here now. On the radar, the storm line looks to be east of here, on the Missouri side. Not a bad day, really. Leopard frogs are singing in my little fishpond, spring peepers along the stream, and mourning doves are cooing down in the woods. And the other birds have plenty to sing & converse about, it seems. Very tranquil. Especially as it's too wet for anyone to fire up mowers and drown out the wildlife. And, wonder of wonders, is that the sun trying to burn through the clouds and light up the greenery?

spacehog 4 years ago

I'm banned from the K for life. I don't think I need to explain.

autie 4 years ago

Autie~ au contraire! The best white bass fishing I ever did was during a steady rain. They were practically jumping into the boat. Of course, if you're worried about a little lightning on an open expanse of water, you'll never know how good it can be.... ;-)

Oui, mon Pywacket..my issue is the river coming up and being a raging torrent of white water..this ain't lake fishin....the rain per se, I could care less. but down here it is rather diffcult to work a jig when there are cottonwood trees pinwheeling past you in the water.

Deja Coffin 4 years ago

My husband is a die-hard Royals fan and can't wait for opening day. I'm curious if Slugger will be throwing any hot dogs to the fans this year or if he's been banned. You know if you catch the hot dog with your eye and not your hands, you could receive a detached cornea. What ever happened to that law suit?

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years ago

@ Pywacket

Yes, that's how I got my ticket. Most people with those tickets aren't thinking about going...they're going. Alex's comment said he was thinking about going...if he doesn't have tickets already, he's probably boned.

spacehog 4 years ago

My wife is a total Saint. Can you imagine putting up with me?

Pywacket 4 years ago

"Excited" isn't the first word that would come to mind. Baseball's okay... but I don't get excited about it unless the Tigers are doing well toward the end of the season.

Spacehog's wife.... what an amazing woman she must be. Wonder if she is an anthropologist.

Ricky Vaughn~ Maybe Alex is a season ticket holder. There ARE folks out there who are delusional/hopeful enough to think it a good investment.

spacehog 4 years ago

I just googled and Sticky Green and Platinum are for real. I emailed 'em, hope I can get another disk.

spacehog 4 years ago

I don't know, maybe it was an honest mistake. I think he knew I couldn't bump it cuz we were in the store. Plus, when we fist bumped he told me me his name is Platinum. Whatever. I do know a guy from T-Town named Breezey. I think his real name is Lenny or something.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years ago

I ran into a dude like that at a Kwik Shop in Lawrence once, but at least he had music on his CD...he even let me bump it before I bought it. He wasn't affiliated with "Sticky Green Records" to my knowledge.

spacehog 4 years ago

Gotta tell you about my April Fool's experience. My wife and I are at the Legends, at the Nike outlet. I'm stylin' and profilin' with my new, big cubic zirconium earrings, tryin' to be black, as usual. I see this cat wearing one of those spandex doo rags. We meet each other passing and do the shoulder rub thing. He asks me do I like rap music. I say, yeah, some of it. He wips out this homemade CD that says Sticky Green Records on it and says it's his new label and he'll sell it to me for 10 bucks, but he'll work with me on it. I figure I'd help a brother out, so I give him 9. I go tell my wife. She's filipino, so let's say half black. She rolls her eyes and says it's probabaly a blank CD. We get to the car and it hits me. Sticky Green? That's weed. I pop the CD in. Sho' nuff. Blank. Note to self. Either stop trying to be black, or if you wanna be a brother, think like a brother. And start listening to your wife more. True story.

spacehog 4 years ago

You're right, Autie. That moron had more trouble putting together a sentence than me. And his knowledge of Guam is fascinating.

edjayhawk 4 years ago

No because the Royals will probably have another bad year. Hope I'm wrong.

spacehog 4 years ago

And stop throwing tomatoes at me. Oh, do I know what sarcasm is. Sometimes I think I invented it. Yeah, I really wasn't thinking straight. I woke up at 5am and did a speedball. I couldn't decide on doin'the the paranoid peep out the window or just noddin' off. And forget Nyquil. It takes around 60-70 valium blue to put me to sleep.

autie 4 years ago

Just about the time I start to have some sense of rekindled hope for mankind, something like this comes along....and dude, I'm back to square one.

This guy must be from the dumbest part of Georgia.....and this is why we should never leave Kansas...it is safer here.

spacehog 4 years ago

Out of respect for the majority, I will stop slamming baseball. Another product of my rotten childhood. Last one to be picked? Try never picked. The baseball kids tore up more pairs of my underwear giving me snuggies than I can remember. I think it also has something to do with a game my dad called "Catch". We'd go out in the yard, my dad would yell, "Hey loser! Catch!" Then he would start teeing off golf balls at me, usually hitting me in the head, groin, or some other tender place.

spacehog 4 years ago

Okay, okay. Yep, Mark bounced one off the ceiling, right over my head. Good job! But I was right on Billy, I think. Is Baylor in the Women's Final Four? Hot Damn. I get to see my lady play! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WdumG...

"I know all there is to know about the crying game I've had my share of the crying game First there are kisses, then there are sighs And then before you know where you are You're sayin' goodbye"

Can you imagine being on a date with a 6'8" chick? I'm pretty sure I'm in love!

autie 4 years ago

R_I, we had a pretty good system roll through but it calmed down a bit...still rumblin and a bumblin though. Not conducieve to white bass expeditions...damn it.

prospector 4 years ago

No. Free State beer and crappie get me excited.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

autie, You could have kept the rain and hail to yourself. I was halfway into my 4 mile walk/run and had to turn around.

autie 4 years ago

please refer to the autie post of 6:45 a.m.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years ago

@ spacehog

You obviously missed the sarcasm in Mark's comment, ya genius!

What's up with your hate of baseball anyway? Some kind of deep-rooted daddy issue? What did baseball ever do to you?

tomatogrower 4 years ago

spacehog (anonymous) says… Mark, did you actually hear the question? Habla Engles?

Spacehog, get a dictionary and look up the word sarcasm.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years ago

Yes, but that would be an understatement.

“Yes, because I’m interested to see what the Royals are going to do. I’m thinking about going to Opening Day.”

— Alex Jackson, entrepreneur, Lawrence

Hate to break it to ya Alex, but it's sold out.

CWGOKU 4 years ago

Spacehog is on a roll today. Kinda like a tire fire, better just grab a beer, sit back and let him burn.

CWGOKU 4 years ago

No, but Andini is ready for baseball.

Julie Craig 4 years ago

Babboy - I was thinking the same thing. Obviously the sarcasm from Mark went right over his head.

I love the Royals and always get my hopes up... I can relate to Mark.

BruceWayne 4 years ago

Mark's comment was HILARIOUS! if you didn't get it you dont follow the royals or you are a COMPLETE idiot.

BABBOY 4 years ago

I thought Mark's answer was pretty smart. I guess the only sarcasim spacehog gets is his own.

Yawn, wish the Royals were better and then it would even be more exciting.

Still think they should have strippers durring the change of innings and while they are changing pitchers............

jillh 4 years ago

Baylor women are in the Final Four... They beat Duke oddly enough!

Donnuts 4 years ago

You bet. I can't wait to see the swing of the bat and the crack of those heads.

"You have a dream..... I have it too.... You have your ways..... I have to do...... whatever it is..... that you want me to.... because you're a pig..... you don't tell the truth.....

you have a dream..... you lie about shoes.... I don't care if it rhymes..... countdown to the news.... I will force myself.... on you and everything you do..... I want to show you..... Hate just to bemuse....

You have a dream..... I have it too.... it seems to me.... we all have to.... there is no privacy... just your lies and my shoes....."

autie 4 years ago

We would have to call the game for a rain delay down here right now....the red dirt is howling in from the south and it is getting ready to get with it....hello spring.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years ago

The lady is a little late for Go Baylor in the Final Four isn't she? She must be a diehard fan if she doesn't even know they didn't make it. I guess maybe it's Women's Final Four.

ontheroadfitness 4 years ago

I am SO ready for the start of the MLB season! I'll be at the K in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to that no matter how poorly the Royals are doing!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

Yes, because I love husband/wife motorcycle sidecar racing, but I have a hard time talking the spousal unit in trying it.

autie 4 years ago

Don't worry folks, it's just the meth talking..this early in the day and that on it....He'll crash out in a couple of hours. With the Nyquil, it is a dangerous combination, but makes you witty as hell.

spacehog 4 years ago

Oh Billy, we need to talk. Are you married to Mark? Parlez-vous l'anglais ? Baylor lost to Duke last weekend. Do you mean Butler, or can you spare some of the really good acid you're on? Outta Sight.

spacehog 4 years ago

Uhhhhh Mark? Sprechen Sie Englisch? Too many boring Royals games?

spacehog 4 years ago

Mark, did you actually hear the question? Habla Engles?

spacehog 4 years ago

Oh Boy. You bet. I sure love baseball. And golf. 2 most thrilling spectator sports on earth. Maybe the Royals will win 3 games this year. Are you sensing any sarcasm here?.......