Previous   Next

What’s the best type of person to work with?

Browse the archives

“You’ve got to be able to think on your feet and be innovative. They must be eager to help and enthusiastic.”

“A good boss is someone who’s authoritative but not rude or power-hungry. Someone you can talk to.”

“A good boss has to be a team player, willing to drop whatever they’re doing to help out.”

“A good employer knows how to listen. It shows you’re valued, which fosters a collaborative environment where it’s not us versus them.”

“Good customer service skills. Someone it feels good to be around. Someone unafraid to take responsibility.”

“Someone honest and straightforward, who’ll buy me a beer after work.”

“A good employee is someone who’s dependable, personable and someone who can think for themselves. They’re a self-starter, they see what needs to be done, and they do it.”

“A good boss is someone who is open to listening, someone who’s accepting and creates a healthy and fun working environment.”

“Someone upbeat and hardworking. Someone who can meet the needs of our customers, that’s a good employee.”

“A boss that you can communicate with is always nice to have.”

“A good employee is dependable and works just as hard as I do.”

“A good boss has an open-door policy.”

“We look for employees who are adaptable and have a desire to excel in their profession while serving the community in a changing environment.”

“It’s important to look for a company that cares about employees and works to provide good benefits and wages for a job well-done.”

“First and foremost is a positive attitude.”

“The best boss is a boss who makes you feel like you don’t have a boss.”

Related story

Comments

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 8 months ago

I love the higher number of people quoted. Excellent!

My two cents: A good boss asks what you want to do in your next job--at the next level--and helps you get there.

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 8 months ago

For co-workers, the best person is complementary to the rest of the team, positive, and supportive.

I feel lucky to have been surrounded by these people at almost every job I've had. Warm fuzzies all around.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

A good working environment...

is everybody showing up on time to get the job done no matter the position title.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

Dead, I hate working with living people.

nobody1793 4 years, 8 months ago

The best boss is the type that write rambling editorials filled with rhetorical questions and innuendo as opposed to logic backed up with evidence.

Kat Christian 4 years, 8 months ago

Most of these people didn't answer the question as written. Goes to show who really pays attention to detail. Mmmmm Knowing the environment I just came from - the worse I've ever worked in my 30 years. I like to work with people who aren't afraid to recognize another person i.e. saying "Good Morning" and offering a smile. People who recognize that the other person is part of what they are working for. (Hate to use politically motivated words such as "teamwork"). Employees should support each other. I've seen so much back stabbing and self-motivated behavior out of petty jealousy and just plain immaturity. If we must spend the greater portion of our day with other people who are unrelated to us then we should all make the best of it and work toward a common goal instead of trying to outdo the other person with judgemental petty behavior.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

The type who understand the importance of good hygiene.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

One of the worst types is the long-term smoker who has killed their own sense of smell and doesn't realize that they reek like a full ashtray.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, I try my best To be just like I am But everybody wants you To be just like them They say "sing while you slave" and I just get bored I ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

Bob Dylan - Maggie's Farm

paisley 4 years, 8 months ago

It is always great to work with and for team players. I must disagree with the above comment by one of the City workers. The City does not promote excelling in their departments at all. The bias there is pronounced. My ex boss is best termed bully. Since I lack college, I had "no skills" and they made no bones about telling me so.

rbwaa 4 years, 8 months ago

creative people with avatars and usernames like this: nobody1793 (anonymous) says…

Tony Kisner 4 years, 8 months ago

Great and telling answers; Rachael Gehringer – way too easy. No one who works for her can ever work as hard as her and that is the only thing that counts. To all MTTI employees; do not leave the office until you see Rachael’s tail lights disappear down the road.

Lori Carnahan – great Corp speak. The full embodiment of the Evil HR Director/function; why all HR functions should be outsourced.

Paul Davis – I would work for this guy in a heartbeat. Truly he is referring to the collective we, and thus including himself and others into a team.

smarty_pants 4 years, 8 months ago

Pssssst--Allen Press employees: A boss who doesn't fire employees for wearing pumpkin earrings on Halloween!

Mary Darst 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes Autie. The Third planet is a really fine store. One of my favs.

I just want to be around positive people. All that negative stuff is a real downer. That' how my job was last year. Bitching all day. It was like being at your favorite bar where the people talk about the SAME thing every day. Blah,blah,blah! This year is a little better. More positive peeps around me. Rhonda...I am working on a response to your Sandra Bullock blog. It is such a good blog. A lot of things to take into consideration. I want to say it like I feel it.

georgiahawk 4 years, 8 months ago

An illegal Mexican! They work hard and if they don't do what you say you can always threaten to have them deported.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

I've heard the saying that a good boss won't ask you to do things that they could not or would not do themselves.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

Small "l" libertarians. They aren't stupid two-faced twits.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

"good boss won't ask you to do things that they could not or would not do themselves."

MY boss would be lost trying to do my job. Far too technical. I'm not even sure he could understand a fair description of the mid to extremely complex parts of my job. . In fact, to about 99.9% of people, what I do is voodoo.

OTOH, he signs a nice paycheck for me, so he's a good boss.

gphawk89 4 years, 8 months ago

The best type of co-workers are non-whiners. Whining is like a cancer. Hire one whiner into an office setting and pretty soon it starts spreading. I've seen it happen multiple times.

The best type of boss is (for me, at least) a non-micro-manager. Just tell me what needs to be done and I'll figure out how to do it and get it done.

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

Is there going to be the obvious follow up question: What is the worst type of person to work with??? Boy, do I have a few examples for that question.

As for the best type of person: One who is punctual and responsible ie the person who shows up on time for his or her shift, the one who calls in with advanced notice if they are going to be late or can not come and the one who takes responsibility for not getting his or her job done and does not try to blame the other workers.

Oh, and who has a "brillant personality."

Dena