Previous   Next

What’s the best type of person to work with?

Browse the archives

“You’ve got to be able to think on your feet and be innovative. They must be eager to help and enthusiastic.”

“A good boss is someone who’s authoritative but not rude or power-hungry. Someone you can talk to.”

“A good boss has to be a team player, willing to drop whatever they’re doing to help out.”

“A good employer knows how to listen. It shows you’re valued, which fosters a collaborative environment where it’s not us versus them.”

“Good customer service skills. Someone it feels good to be around. Someone unafraid to take responsibility.”

“Someone honest and straightforward, who’ll buy me a beer after work.”

“A good employee is someone who’s dependable, personable and someone who can think for themselves. They’re a self-starter, they see what needs to be done, and they do it.”

“A good boss is someone who is open to listening, someone who’s accepting and creates a healthy and fun working environment.”

“Someone upbeat and hardworking. Someone who can meet the needs of our customers, that’s a good employee.”

“A boss that you can communicate with is always nice to have.”

“A good employee is dependable and works just as hard as I do.”

“A good boss has an open-door policy.”

“We look for employees who are adaptable and have a desire to excel in their profession while serving the community in a changing environment.”

“It’s important to look for a company that cares about employees and works to provide good benefits and wages for a job well-done.”

“First and foremost is a positive attitude.”

“The best boss is a boss who makes you feel like you don’t have a boss.”

Related story

Comments

denak 4 years ago

Is there going to be the obvious follow up question: What is the worst type of person to work with??? Boy, do I have a few examples for that question.

As for the best type of person: One who is punctual and responsible ie the person who shows up on time for his or her shift, the one who calls in with advanced notice if they are going to be late or can not come and the one who takes responsibility for not getting his or her job done and does not try to blame the other workers.

Oh, and who has a "brillant personality."

Dena

hitme 4 years ago

Multi, I echo your sentiments. I think about mandatory sterilization every time I see the "In My Pants" blog too.

gphawk89 4 years ago

The best type of co-workers are non-whiners. Whining is like a cancer. Hire one whiner into an office setting and pretty soon it starts spreading. I've seen it happen multiple times.

The best type of boss is (for me, at least) a non-micro-manager. Just tell me what needs to be done and I'll figure out how to do it and get it done.

Liberty275 4 years ago

"good boss won't ask you to do things that they could not or would not do themselves."

MY boss would be lost trying to do my job. Far too technical. I'm not even sure he could understand a fair description of the mid to extremely complex parts of my job. . In fact, to about 99.9% of people, what I do is voodoo.

OTOH, he signs a nice paycheck for me, so he's a good boss.

Liberty275 4 years ago

Small "l" libertarians. They aren't stupid two-faced twits.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years ago

I've heard the saying that a good boss won't ask you to do things that they could not or would not do themselves.

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

Very high intelligence and manners. I'd rather sort nuts and bolts than be in a room full of stupid, supervised by stupid. Makes me want to crawl right out of my skin and start a flavor of the month movement for sterilization laws, maybe just annihilate the species entirely.

CWGOKU 4 years ago

Thanks Autie... you are correct. I am a night person, but yeah, I am not in the Hog's league otherwise.

BABBOY 4 years ago

People who make me money......

georgiahawk 4 years ago

An illegal Mexican! They work hard and if they don't do what you say you can always threaten to have them deported.

autie 4 years ago

CWGOKU (anonymous) says… I want to work with Spacehog and Bob too, but I am not sure I could handle the hours.

I'm sure that's not all you couldn't handle. Beware of what you wish for. The first week of psychedelics would blow most people away for a life time.

Isabelle 4 years ago

The best person to work with: someone who takes pride in their work, whatever job they have. My fave person to work with is someone who likes to work!

Mary Darst 4 years ago

Yes Autie. The Third planet is a really fine store. One of my favs.

I just want to be around positive people. All that negative stuff is a real downer. That' how my job was last year. Bitching all day. It was like being at your favorite bar where the people talk about the SAME thing every day. Blah,blah,blah! This year is a little better. More positive peeps around me. Rhonda...I am working on a response to your Sandra Bullock blog. It is such a good blog. A lot of things to take into consideration. I want to say it like I feel it.

smarty_pants 4 years ago

Pssssst--Allen Press employees: A boss who doesn't fire employees for wearing pumpkin earrings on Halloween!

hungryhustler 4 years ago

Someone who does all the work.

Tony Kisner 4 years ago

Great and telling answers; Rachael Gehringer – way too easy. No one who works for her can ever work as hard as her and that is the only thing that counts. To all MTTI employees; do not leave the office until you see Rachael’s tail lights disappear down the road.

Lori Carnahan – great Corp speak. The full embodiment of the Evil HR Director/function; why all HR functions should be outsourced.

Paul Davis – I would work for this guy in a heartbeat. Truly he is referring to the collective we, and thus including himself and others into a team.

edjayhawk 4 years ago

I want to work for someone who gives you the autonomy needed to fully use my skills.

CWGOKU 4 years ago

prospector 4 years ago

I weal my power wildly and arbitrarily to keeps all on their toes. He never knows what I will drink next. Since I'm a big tipper, the bartender really does not mind.

macon47 4 years ago

I don’t have a lot of time to waste On local employees with Their cavalier attitude and Sense of entitlement who Cannot mangage their daily Affairs well enough to get to Work on time, or not have To leave early for some “Emergency”

If they are not texting or Chatting on their cellphones They sit all day posting and Browsing on line While they should be working And then complain about how poorly they are paid and how unfairly They are treated

These children simply need To grow up and accept Responsibilty for their Actions rather than Whining and blaming Everyone else for their own Lack of work ethic

rbwaa 4 years ago

creative people with avatars and usernames like this: nobody1793 (anonymous) says…

paisley 4 years ago

It is always great to work with and for team players. I must disagree with the above comment by one of the City workers. The City does not promote excelling in their departments at all. The bias there is pronounced. My ex boss is best termed bully. Since I lack college, I had "no skills" and they made no bones about telling me so.

CWGOKU 4 years ago

The kind that don't tell anyone where I buried the bodies.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years ago

Well, I try my best To be just like I am But everybody wants you To be just like them They say "sing while you slave" and I just get bored I ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

Bob Dylan - Maggie's Farm

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

One of the worst types is the long-term smoker who has killed their own sense of smell and doesn't realize that they reek like a full ashtray.

beatrice 4 years ago

The type who understand the importance of good hygiene.

autie 4 years ago

Is that Third Planet thing like some sorty hippie store that sells up them dope smoking deals and that hippie insenced? My cousin bought some patcholi oil one time I couldn't figure how he was gonna patch anything with it. Maybe it was somethin to put in the truck to make the motor run better.

Donnuts 4 years ago

One that's not abusive if he/she is being critical of you.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

As too the question?

I don't like working with people. Unless you call dodgeball, tag, foursquare, or kickball work.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years ago

The 8 pairs of respondents were obviously asked corresponding questions, the bosses questions about employees, and the employees questions about bosses.

The_Original_Bob 4 years ago

"Most of these people didn't answer the question as written."

Welcome to the OTS.

Kat Christian 4 years ago

Most of these people didn't answer the question as written. Goes to show who really pays attention to detail. Mmmmm Knowing the environment I just came from - the worse I've ever worked in my 30 years. I like to work with people who aren't afraid to recognize another person i.e. saying "Good Morning" and offering a smile. People who recognize that the other person is part of what they are working for. (Hate to use politically motivated words such as "teamwork"). Employees should support each other. I've seen so much back stabbing and self-motivated behavior out of petty jealousy and just plain immaturity. If we must spend the greater portion of our day with other people who are unrelated to us then we should all make the best of it and work toward a common goal instead of trying to outdo the other person with judgemental petty behavior.

The_Original_Bob 4 years ago

I want to work with Spacehog.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

The type that want to head straight to a bar after work.

nobody1793 4 years ago

The best boss is the type that write rambling editorials filled with rhetorical questions and innuendo as opposed to logic backed up with evidence.

spacehog 4 years ago

The best thing about this thread so far is that even though they asked half the town, it doesn't look like one person was at the Merc. Thank...you...so...Much!!!

spacehog 4 years ago

You're right, Autie. I had a job where I had to drive around picking up dead bodies for this mortuary. Car accidents, crime scenes, suicides, you name it. I ended up getting canned for gross misconduct. But I really didn't like that job anyway.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Dead, I hate working with living people.

autie 4 years ago

living. I hate working with dead people.

spacehog 4 years ago

I think it would be cool to work with Bigfoot. He smokes a lot and has a bad attitude. He usually gets busboy jobs and then gets pissed off and quits. Always chucking cigarette butts, too. Those CA wildfires every year? Bigfoot. The one last summer started when Bigfoot was working as a dishwasher somewhere on Sunset. He was on his break, smoking out back. He heard the manager yell "Bigfoot! Get in here!" He ripped his apron off, chucked his butt into some dry grass and walked off. Hence, the fire. Remember the fire at that Great White concert in RI back in 2003? Bigfoot. But at least something newsworthy happened in RI.

Richard Heckler 4 years ago

A good working environment...

is everybody showing up on time to get the job done no matter the position title.

spacehog 4 years ago

So, there are 2 OTS questions today. Is this the main one? I guess, cuz the other one is for kids. I never comment on the kids questions. I don't want them to idolize me. I'm a bad person and a bad influence, but I have one hell of a good time. April fools joke? Good one, LJW!! You guys are crazy!!!!!

spacehog 4 years ago

Someone who does a lot of drugs and has a bad temper.

AnnaUndercover 4 years ago

For co-workers, the best person is complementary to the rest of the team, positive, and supportive.

I feel lucky to have been surrounded by these people at almost every job I've had. Warm fuzzies all around.

AnnaUndercover 4 years ago

I love the higher number of people quoted. Excellent!

My two cents: A good boss asks what you want to do in your next job--at the next level--and helps you get there.