Previous   Next

What is your impression of The Oread?

Asked at Jayhawk Boulevard on September 30, 2009

Browse the archives

“It’s going to be very beautiful to look at, but it is very tall.”

“I’m really excited to see what it’s going to look like when it’s all completed.”

“It’s pretty cool; it’s right next to my fraternity so I’m hoping to get a job there whenever it opens.”

“I think it’s an eyesore, but that it will bring in a lot of revenue.”

Comments

killjoy 5 years, 2 months ago

It's disappointing to see it from the stadium and see the skyline of classic university buildings and then see the tallest thing on the eastern horizon is a hotel. It's disgusting.

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

Eyesoread is an appropriate name. I don't remember who coined it, though.

Matt Warman 5 years, 2 months ago

"Women's Studies Major"... Dang, I may have to go get a second KU degree. My wife is an architect who graduated from KU. She is all for progress and development, but is underwhelmed with the design.
T_O_B is right on about Yellow Sub

scott3460 5 years, 2 months ago

A nondescript power generation building. Or an early 1960's hospital in Detroit Michigan in the dead of winter. A prison. A fitting rival to Wescoe. The blandosity overwhelms.

ladysilk 5 years, 2 months ago

It is ugly and way too tall. It blocks the view of campus at certain angles. It sits on the spot of two KU traditions, Yellow Sub and The Crossing. The KU Alum that built it is a traitor.

TheJokerObama 5 years, 2 months ago

A frat boy working? Yeah right you liar. Mommy and Daddy will be supporting you for the rest of your life doucheface. Go make a slip n slide in your front yard beer guzzler.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

"Now that anything for a buck Hemenway is gone I don't see that being a problem. (on Frazier being rebuilt)"

Well, that could be a problem then. Because if you ever, ya'know, have to be In Frazier, rather than primarily looking at it for the view, then you'd know it's an out of date, archaic buiding with terrible infrastructure and little tech ability, tiny little rooms, and it sucks to have classes in.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Well, jackripper, since you've never impressed me with your dialog, and this post does nothing to add to that, I'll save a point by point analysis of your whole post and just go for the last one.

"The blackboards did just fine in the past."

The great thing about a Projector in the room, as a teacher, was that I could do all of my writing on powerpoint The Evening Before Class, and then I had to waste no time at all on writing about a bunch of crap on the blackboard.

This is just one way that new advances can help, there are plenty more, so maybe you should try not to look so foolish with your talk of size compensation. Your choice, though.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

scott: "Or an early 1960's hospital in Detroit Michigan in the dead of winter."

Hey! As a resident of southeastern Michigan, I (facetiously) take exception to that comparison. Detroit didn't really start being ugly until the 80s.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Now that's a laughable response. I think I'll just cut you loose now.

shockchalk 5 years, 2 months ago

The building looks wonderful. It's design is perfect for the neighborhood and the four columns on the roof really add to the building. It certainly got rid of a few very ugly buildings that needed to go. It's a great addition to the Lawrence skyline.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

I was laboring under the illusion that there more choices than tap water and coffee. Good to have that rectified.

Blue: They've been a lot more touchy the last few weeks. I'm not really sure why, but I've had a bunch pulled in the last few weeks that I would have gotten away with before, it seems.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

It looks like it was designed by a real architect.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations to the developers and city officials who had the courage and patience to make this wonderful building a reality.

Hopefully, this will send a message to people across the region that Lawrence is a great place to live and they will want to locate their companies here and start hiring people again.

Lawrence is the poorest performing city in the region for a specific reason. We have too many negative people here who drown out the majority.

BigPrune 5 years, 2 months ago

Whatever happened to Sam Kinison anyway? I haven't seen that guy put out any new material in ages. Did he retire?

BigPrune 5 years, 2 months ago

Nervermind, I just looked him up. He's dead.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 2 months ago

If promoting growth, technology and good paying jobs means I am brainwashed, then I welcome the compliment.

As for being part of a cult...

This makes me laugh. Especially from someone who probably gets his daily instructions from the Sierra Club. This group has always been controlled by wackos. People I know who belonged when they were young, fled when they figured it out. You should do the same.

scott3460 5 years, 2 months ago

"And maybe soon, we will get that Lawrence South Traffic way built so we can have a logical traffic flow in this city and a corridor for real growth and the jobs that will come with that."

And should that ever come to pass, that "corridor for real growth" will look exactly like the corridors of real growth of the past. Junk clogged corridors of ugly buildings and oversized parking lots selling overpriced junk you don't need. And an uncoordinated stoplight every 50-100 yeard. Progress!

RKLOG 5 years, 2 months ago

I disagree. It takes a brain to be brainwashed.

ralphralph 5 years, 2 months ago

That's a kind'a tall, ugly building. p.s. - long live Sam Kinison! He went where the food is.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

"Outside of disease people back then were healthier..."

Quoted for hilarity.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Indeed. Wonder how the aggregate total lifespan stacks up.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 2 months ago

It's a big, ugly middle finger sticking out of Mt. Oread.

wtchdr46 5 years, 2 months ago

I really don't havce much to say about the tower, Is the point to make cell phones work better so that more can be killed trying to dial and drive at the same time? What do you all expect from a town that builds a bridge to nowhere, calls the corn fields that were there when I was in high school wetlands, and installs a city commissioner that goes by the name of Boog? seems perfectly predictable to me. Not good, just predictable

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

blue harley73- man, that was WAY over the top.

I love the look of the factory-style smoke stacks on top. it looks like an eastern-bloc prison or something. really industrial and a tip of the hat to the Obama administration's socialist agenda. maybe a big hammer and sickle on the side would look sweet. a football observation deck is also a must. GO FRITZELLAS!

Jack Hope III 5 years, 2 months ago

If all of you naysayers had bought more beer at the Crossing, it may not have had to come to this.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

"Enforcement is a joke these days, because there simply are no cops. Johnston said that, while the number of US taxpayers is growing rapidly, the number of IRS auditors is down by a third—and, not surprisingly, cheating is on the rise. The story is the same at the Department of Labor, OSHA, and other agencies tasked with keeping America 's economic and employment rules fair and equitable.

Johnstone then boggled the crowd with a blunt assertion: "We pay billions of dollars in taxes that never get to the government." Much of the sales tax we pay at big box stores and shopping centers is diverted to the large companies that own the stores. It's just one of the many swindles these chains have learned to perpetrate against city and county governments. This is so effective that the Cabela family, which owns a chain of big-box sporting goods stores, receives 137% of its profits from taxpayer subsidies. If they couldn't work this scam, they wouldn't be in business at all.

The heart of the wealth transfer is tax increment financing (TIF). Store owners come to town leaders and offer to build a new store that, they promise, will "create jobs." In exchange, the city gives them the land, builds the store to their specifications, and finances it all with tax-free municipal bonds (which are usually held by associates of the store owners). To cap it all, the store keeps the sales tax generated in the store to pay off the bond holders. If the store is built on government land, it's also exempt from paying any property taxes.

Why do city governments take such a blatantly bad deal? Many of them are struggling, and believe that a new Wal-Mart will bring in shoppers from all over—shoppers who will stick around and shop in their town. It never works out that way. Under stiff competition the small shops go out of business, taking the town's tax base with them. Schools, parks, recreation programs, and libraries are starved. Almost always, these city councils would be far better served putting the money in upgrades to local Main Street businesses, rather than financing the competitor that will kill them.

Johnston also noted that as a result, the nation is losing mom-and-pop businesses that are often more efficient in real terms than the big box stores, which carry tremendous overhead in management and distribution. He suggested that audience members do an experiment: first, eat at a chain restaurant like TGIF—and then go the next night to a local family-owned place. Not only will you spend half as much in the family place—the people working there are probably making more money. That's what real efficiency looks like."

Other scams Johnston noted: http://www.uua.org/events/generalassembly/2008/commonthreads/115777.shtml

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

BTW if my memory serves me well it does cost a special one cent sales tax to shop the new Wal-Mart.

igby 5 years, 2 months ago

In 30 years, they will be tearing this building down. The concrete life for the type of construction style will not last any longer than that, 30 years. Most of you will see it come and go and then another build will be built there. It's just like a Vegas hotel.

scott3460 5 years, 2 months ago

"Most of you will see it come and go and then another build will be built there."

May I suggest something wooden, maybe a nice porch out front.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 2 months ago

You don't understand, The Oread will give you AIDS if left unchecked. Don't say I didn't warn you.

riverdrifter 5 years, 2 months ago

"““Outside of disease people back then were healthier…”

Quoted for hilarity. ”

That one is going on my wall of quotes."

Whoa dude, that one put Crown Royal on the ol' flat screen. Alas, Madonna on Letterman caused a delay. Good one!

SpeedRacer 5 years, 2 months ago

It looks like one of those old art deco buildings that got stripped and remodeled in the 60's then "restored" in the 90's but no one could find the original plan so they left off all the designs.

BigAl 5 years, 2 months ago

I like it. It has provided jobs in Lawrence and will provide more jobs when the project is done. It has provided work for several local sub-contractors and suppliers. This is a great addition to Lawrence. The Oread will bring in people and money for many years.