Previous   Next

Do you have any tattoos that you regret getting?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on September 25, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, I have two. I got them for good reasons, and they’re still good reasons.”

“I originally had a rose with some names, but I have covered up the names with a panther.”

“No, I don’t. When I was younger we didn’t do tattoos.”

“I have no tattoos. I just never had the desire.”

Comments

RKLOG 5 years, 1 month ago

You're asking the wrong demographic.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Nope, I quite like mine, as does my wife, and my friends. The only people ever likely to see it.

/no, it's not down there, pull your head out of the gutter

M. Lindeman 5 years, 1 month ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says…

I find tattoos disgusting.

rdragon write:

I might agree with on the extent that some are. If a great deal of thought is put into it ( image, location,I prefer custom artwork) the work can look outstanding. I have never had one put on myself, that I didn't ponder it for a great deal of time.

conservativepunker 5 years, 1 month ago

The two I have are connected with meaning and a point in my life. No regrets here.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 1 month ago

I was thinking about getting a red tattoo.

I know I'll regret it.

( red, for regret )

rachquiz 5 years, 1 month ago

No...every tattoo I have signifies a time or person that has had an important impact on my life...no regrets here!!

GardenMomma 5 years, 1 month ago

No tattoos, no regretted tattoos. Simple.

sinverguenza 5 years, 1 month ago

prospector (Anonymous) says…

I have a W tattooed on each butt check. When I do a cartwheel you see wow-mom-wow.

Damn the visual imagery of naked man cartwheels. shudders

I have an astrological tattoo which I've come to discover (thanks, History channel) means nothing, but it's not a big deal. My only regret is that I didn't make my other one larger. And I regret the prevalent social stigma of tattoos keeping me from getting my next one (the boss says it wouldn't go over well and wouldn't have hired me if I'd had it when applying here). That's lame.

Marcy McGuffie 5 years, 1 month ago

I have two that I don't regret at all (well, other than the fact that I have occasional allergic flareups to the ink!). While I was waiting to get my second one, I was roped into a conversation with another gal, waiting to get inked. Bless her - I bet she regrets hers! She was getting her boyfriend's name tattooed on her chest. She had known him, less than a month! But, ya know...she was taken in by his line that he was an actual prince. She was on her cell phone, arguing with a friend who tried to talk her out of it. The tattoo artist, also tried to talk her out of it. But, she went through with it. They talked so much smack on her, when she left the shop.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Well, beatle919, console yourself that if it was not that, it would have just been another. That kind of vacuity is just waiting for something to enter its sphere of influence.

Marcy McGuffie 5 years, 1 month ago

True enough, jonas! I still find myself shaking my head, when thinking about that young gal...

Boosh 5 years, 1 month ago

I have some moles. Someday she and I are going to play connect the dots.

Boosh 5 years, 1 month ago

Gonna be kinda hard as they keep moving all over the yard.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 1 month ago

I regret not having any tattoos to regret. Maybe I should follow Mike Tyson's lead and get a face tattoo.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

O-Bob: That's the best memory-jogger yet. There was a On the Hill insert about body art sometime last year that my Chinese class stumbled upon while at our usual table waiting for class to start. On one lady's foot were proudly displayed three characters 公司事, with the caption that "she didn't like to tell people what it means, she liked it to be an intimate secret." The characters spelled out the romantic, and so erotic, message: "company affairs." (affair, situation, happening, the last character)

We asked our professor if there was anything we were missing, and she assured us that there wasn't, so we felt qualified to laugh for a spell.

/my character is the male half of the mythological bird of wind, generally translated as the phoenix. Apparently it also meant peacock by the time it got to Korea, but that's not my responsibility.

kjo_shorty 5 years, 1 month ago

I have 3. My only regret is the placement of the last one.

salad 5 years, 1 month ago

scars make better stories than tattoos

Newell_Post 5 years, 1 month ago

"....The child is amoral. To our eyes, the Papuan is too. The Papuan kills his enemies and eats them. He is not a criminal. But when modern man kills someone and eats him he is either a criminal or a degenerate. The Papuan tattoos his skin, his boat, his paddles, in short everything he can lay hands on. He is not a criminal. The modern man who tattoos himself is either a criminal or a degenerate. There are prisons in which eighty per cent of the inmates show tattoos. The tattooed who are not in prison are latent criminals or degenerate aristocrats. If someone who is tattooed dies at liberty, it means he has died a few years before committing a murder...."

"Ornament and Crime," Adolf Loos, 1909

1029 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, when the Chiefs got Elvis Grbac I got a tattoo of him about to throw a football.

I had it covered up about 6 years ago by changing it to a werewolf about to throw a skull.

Bruce Rist 5 years, 1 month ago

no tats that I regret, but I have a couple of girl friends I'd like to forget

ModSquadGal 5 years, 1 month ago

I have seven - don't regret any of them, but some are in places I wish I could change. I made sure when I got each of mine that it was for a reason that meant something truly meaningful to me (not my favorite band or cartoon character, etc.), NO NAMES, and ones I'd always be proud to show or share with others. If you're going to get them, you'd better really think about it first. All these young kids getting them because they think they are cool is a sad commentary on what I feel is a really beautiful art form.

I think what bums me out these days is that the meaning behind the art has been lost because it's become the "fad" of the moment. Getting a tattoo should mean something... it should affect you and the pain associated with it should be a rite of passage to attain the goal of the inner meaning of your tat. It's been cheapened and mainstreamed, and I think that's a shame. JMHO

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

be3 (Anonymous) says…

"Do I look like white trash?"

Hairy knuckled troll, maybe. Is that different?

riverdrifter 5 years, 1 month ago

Got a small pheasant on one upper arm & a canada goose on the other. They're just fine.

I thought H_Lector might stop by here...

H_Lecter 5 years, 1 month ago

Are we counting lampshades and gloves?

riverdrifter 5 years, 1 month ago

Know whut Ah mean?! BTW: I will not misspell your name again. Promise. See.

Mary Darst 5 years, 1 month ago

Bluegrass was a sea of tats. Almost you were the odd duck out if you didn't have one. Of course we camp where all the young folks are. Wild and crazy. I was going to get one once. It was going to be Ruby Slippers. Ihad planned to put it right above my right breast. I decided not to, only because I figured that in a few years they would be Ruby Boots. hahaha

acg 5 years, 1 month ago

I only have three and don't regret them at all. Just got my latest, and final, last night, actually. Joe, u did a great job (Joe's Body Art, everyone, I highly recommend him). It still hurts like hell but that's why the good lord gave us jack daniels. :)

igby 5 years, 1 month ago

I think women with the big tat across their lower back is a major turn off. Jaded and used comes to mind. One mans trash is another man treasure, as the saying goes.

kansas_o_kansas 5 years, 1 month ago

Everybody needs at least one - makes the body easier to identify!

Stat_Guys 5 years, 1 month ago

spacehog (Anonymous) says… Think twice. When I was a 21 I got my ear pierced. That was quite a statement. However, I rarely wear it anymore so know one knows about it.

Oh yes we do. PM's and emails went all around about it just after you signed up dylan boy.