Previous   Next

Do you think the parties involved in the recent athletic confrontations should be disciplined by the university?

Asked at Wescoe Beach on September 24, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think they should be disciplined by the teams … they’re not being responsible on the campus grounds.”

“Absolutely. Two years ago when the Mizzou basketball players got in trouble at the nightclub in Columbia, Mo., they were suspended from sports and the same consequences go across the border to KU.”

“Oh yeah, for sure. If you’re going to act like that … you’re not above the law.”

“Yes, I do because, like any of us here at KU, if we get in a fight, especially near campus or on campus, you should be punished for what you did.”

Comments

bondmen 5 years, 2 months ago

Boys raised without a father or by a fatherless fathers most often don't learn how to properly behave in the presence of others. One of the most important factors in a young man's upbringing is an actively engaged father who can show him the best way to go from being a boy (irresponsible and driven by emotions) to becoming a man (responsible and driven to provide for a family).

The liberal plantation has forced fathers out of the house; since the state became the provider the man wasn't needed at home. It is a purposeful destruction of any community where father's are now absent. The results are clear to see for all who have eyes.

See 'The United States of Newark' at: http://www.cashill.com/natl_general/united_states.htm

Steve Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

The apple does not fall far from the tree. it's in the rearing.

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

What is the punishment for fighting on campus? What would any other student's punishment be for the same activity?
Is someone always charged or arrested when the police are involved?

persevering_gal 5 years, 2 months ago

I definitely think there should be some sort of punishment and not just a slap on the wrist. If I threw someone down the stairs or punched someone, I probably would be charged with battery. These boys are lucky that no one is pressing charges...so far.

I saw the fight on Wednesday morning, I felt like I was back in high school. It really made me feel sick to my stomach seeing Jayhawks going at other Jayhawks.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 2 months ago

"The couple are never fighting when they answer the door to the cops. But, if there is evidence of a fight, witness's? scrapes? torn shirts? Someone gets arrested."

Only if there is a victim. So far, no one has claimed to be one.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 2 months ago

I think both teams should be required to do some public service work for a minimum number of hours.

Some suggestions: Trash pickup along highways, city parks and Clinton Lake. Also, United Way could use some volunteers and there are many other related community programs that could use volunteers.

They need to learn that they represent the University of Kansas and the people of this state. They are not babies anymore.

We don't care if you play ball like Michael Jordan or Gale Sayers. If you act like a punk, you're a punk.

rse1979 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm calling shenanigans on LJW. So the question was asked on Sept. 24, 09 (apparently in full daylight), posted and commented upon by 7:38am.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Girfriend was posting a message a minute for hours last night. I suppose that was his lame attempt to hit the 0ne million mark. After he lost, he posted the same message to just about every open thread on LJW.

Epic

fail

for

the

old

coot

Aileen Dingus 5 years, 2 months ago

Take a page from JoePa.

"Not just the kids that were involved. 'Cause we're all in it together. This is a team embarrassment. I wouldn't call it anything much other than that." and "what apparently bothered coach Joe Paterno the most was how many of his kids were willing to be involved. "

Make everyone on both teams clean both Memorial Stadium and Allen Fieldhouse. As teams. Together.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

yep. 10 lashes w/ a wet noodle. (that's about all of the punishment they'll receive)

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely: they should have to play for K-State for a month.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Disciplined? Of course. I'm also sure that they will be.
In what manner? I dunno. I still have enough faith in the apparent character of both of our coaches to believe that they will enact an appropriate punishment. My guess is some people running stairs, as mentioned above, until they puke and pass out. I'm perfectly fine with that, it's more of a punishment than would be given to any normal student if they were involved in a soft altercation somewhere on campus or somewhere in town.

With regular students, it happens Every Night, probably not just once but All Over Town, and we never hear anything about it, and nothing ever happens unless it moves from soft to hard and someone is truly beaten down. (dislocated thumbs from poor punching technique don't count)

Kids get stupid. Kids fight.

No more story, so why don't we move on?

Oh, and if Taylor reads this: I'll teach you how to throw a punch properly if you can teach me how to shoot a jump shot properly. I can punch through a 2" board.

grammaddy 5 years, 2 months ago

I am so tired of seeing KU athletes get away with damn near anything " for the sake of the team". As long as there are no consequences for their actions, they will continue in this fashion. I remember the days when members of the football team got caught shoplifting out of Weaver's and other places. These athletes represent KU and should act as such. I say punish them both!!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

i co-sign sgtwolverine. i'm sure the folks in manhattan would appreciate that (even tho you wouldn't be able to get them to admit it!!).

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

"The scholarship halls have rules to living there that make it more easy for them to live among each other, don't the athletic quarters (Jayhawk Towers?)?"

Being in a scholarship hall isn't a perk of having a scholarship. It's not the same.

ralphralph 5 years, 2 months ago

The KU Police should be disciplined for failing to carry out their sworn duty to provide a safe and peaceful campus for all students, rather than to cover up the problems of the athletics money machine. KU Police = shameful.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Does the rowing club ever rumble with the squash players?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Autie, those golf people have spikey shoes. If they ever get you down on the ground, you ain't getting up.

Crossfire 5 years, 2 months ago

No. No. Hell No!!! If you discipline them now how will they learn that as athletes and celebrities that they are exempt from the rules that the rest of us must follow.