Previous   Next

Do you pay attention to fashion labels or brands?

Asked at Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa on September 21, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, because they’re usually nice clothes.”

“I have labels and brands I like more than others, but I’ll buy a T-shirt if I like it, no matter the brand.”

“No. It’s more about the quality than anything”

“Yes, I do. I think it’s because they’re everywhere. I don’t buy them all the time, but I am aware of them.”

Comments

TheJokerObama 4 years, 11 months ago

Yes because I am a shallow person and only wear brand name clothes. I make fun of people that wear walmart and kmart attire because that just shows they are cheap and have no dignity. Life is all about looking good and being a DB at the same time.

trinity 4 years, 11 months ago

mostly when i'm garage shoppin' or when i go to a toney store&dig through their clearance racks. otherwise, hate to shop and just don't care that much. if the clothes fit, wear 'em. which brought to mind-seems that a lot of "designer" type fashion label clothing is sized really smallish! makes me feel huge-er! :-/

labmonkey 4 years, 11 months ago

I check to see where they are made. Nothing from China. Hopefully I can find American.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 11 months ago

IF I TOOK A NAME LABEL AND SEWED IT ON CHEAP CLOTHES NO ONE WOULD CARE JUST BECAUSE OF A NAME I HAVE LEVI'S AND WRANGLER JEANS.ALSO RUSTLER THE CHEAP ONES.THEY LAST LONGER AND FIT BETTER SO A NAME IS ONLY A STSTUS SYMBLE DONT MEAN THAT YOUR POOR

M. Lindeman 4 years, 11 months ago

cheap 5 star wranglers from walmart, $15.00 a pair you can't beat that price. So when I get greese all over them, wife doesn't get pissed.

persevering_gal 4 years, 11 months ago

I stopped caring as soon as I came to college. As long as I like them, I don't care what anyone else thinks.

BorderRat 4 years, 11 months ago

The only label I cared about was "Made in America." Can't seem to find it much anymore.

Kat Christian 4 years, 11 months ago

No, because I'm not that shallow a person. Clothes are clothes and if they look nice and you know how to put together an outfit it shouldn't matter who's name is on it. My feeling is if you worry about such things like this, then you most likely concern yourself with labeling people as well and are just as shallow a person when it comes to treating others fairly and with an open mind. So take that Funk and Wagnell.

coolmom 4 years, 11 months ago

depends...i buy some brand things for my teen girls because it seems to be a matter of life and death but it is limited and it must look good and be easy to care for. my boys it depends but both insist on most labels being cut out as they itch or scratch them. i only but a brand name if it is consistantly better for the money.

Mary Darst 4 years, 11 months ago

Multi...now that is funny. Used to really like Calvin Klien jeans and Eddie Bauer... Gained to much weight for them... I agree with Autie. After 50 What the hell. It's not the age, but you shouldn't have to define yourself by the clothes. (even tho you should never of had to)

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

No, I don't care about labels. I'll buy them if they look good and are inexpensive, but neither of those are synonymous with brand name clothes.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 11 months ago

I've always found it odd that the most expensive stuff comes with a huge ad on the front for the manufacturer: HILFIGER. If I'm a walking billboard for The GAP, then why aren't they paying ME a premium? When did a big "C" become decorative? When Coach started making overpriced bags.

sgtwolverine 4 years, 11 months ago

No. I wear jeans and t-shirts nearly every day, and I'm not concerned with who made them as long as the shirt says something I like (often something to do with college or minor league sports) and the jeans won't fall apart in a week.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 11 months ago

"the problem seems to be that they don't make clothes to fit normal sized people"

I take you aren't a 19 year old with an eating disorder.

igby 4 years, 11 months ago

i was disappointed to learn that "Carhartt" was making their products overseas now. Cotton was the main reason they did this. Not enough cotton grows in the US anymore and to stay competitive they had to go overseas to get the textiles reasonable enough to stay competitive, (was their reason" cheap labor was a factor as well, I'm sure.

Levi's did the same; you can't trust the sizes anymore, their made in about 7 different places in South America and none of them are the same patterns or sized correctly.

The workers can't read a tape correctly?

labmonkey 4 years, 11 months ago

I buy almost everything off unionlabel.com. American made clothes that are high quality and are not too expensive. A $35 pair of jeans from there will last much longer than jeans you buy elsewhere, so in the long run you are spending about the same amount of money for jeans (and you are helping to keep American jobs).

Matt Warman 4 years, 11 months ago

I won't wear anyting that advertises for the designer, like a Hilfiger shirt or a Nike hat, etc. I just look for clothes that will cover my beer gut.

Clint Church 4 years, 11 months ago

Borderrat and LabMonkey, look on the internet. There are quite a few companies that still make clothes in the US.