Previous   Next

Do you pay attention to fashion labels or brands?

Asked at Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa on September 21, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, because they’re usually nice clothes.”

“I have labels and brands I like more than others, but I’ll buy a T-shirt if I like it, no matter the brand.”

“No. It’s more about the quality than anything”

“Yes, I do. I think it’s because they’re everywhere. I don’t buy them all the time, but I am aware of them.”

Comments

Clint Church 4 years, 7 months ago

Borderrat and LabMonkey, look on the internet. There are quite a few companies that still make clothes in the US.

Matt Warman 4 years, 7 months ago

I won't wear anyting that advertises for the designer, like a Hilfiger shirt or a Nike hat, etc. I just look for clothes that will cover my beer gut.

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

I buy almost everything off unionlabel.com. American made clothes that are high quality and are not too expensive. A $35 pair of jeans from there will last much longer than jeans you buy elsewhere, so in the long run you are spending about the same amount of money for jeans (and you are helping to keep American jobs).

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

I'll admit, if I had the body and the bucks..I'd have no problem buying a label...but not 'because' it had the label.

Only if it were something I truly liked. I've found the reason I don't like shopping, and thought I didn't have a knack for decorating because all the stores during the years from 1960 - 2000...I never saw anything I liked so I thought I just didn't have any taste.

Well, I found out by getting outside the box...that I do have taste..I just have exceeding expensive taste! No wonder I could never find anything around here in any stores, lol.

So of course, it would only go that I see certain outfits on tv, movies now and then, classic cuts that I would die for could I wear them!

Say..that white number Liz Taylor wears in the pool room scene in A Place in the Sun. The strapless one. --

Prospector, I did that exact thing when I special ordered a car back in '77 from Tony's Datsun. I specifically said, a couple of times..no dealer stick-on logo. They did it any way, and because I was 17..and had no parent with me..they just blew me off like, well, it's already on there. Nothing we can do now. They knew I had to leave town using the car, and they were already one week past due on delivery as it were. I was stuck and they knew it.

igby 4 years, 7 months ago

i was disappointed to learn that "Carhartt" was making their products overseas now. Cotton was the main reason they did this. Not enough cotton grows in the US anymore and to stay competitive they had to go overseas to get the textiles reasonable enough to stay competitive, (was their reason" cheap labor was a factor as well, I'm sure.

Levi's did the same; you can't trust the sizes anymore, their made in about 7 different places in South America and none of them are the same patterns or sized correctly.

The workers can't read a tape correctly?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 7 months ago

"the problem seems to be that they don't make clothes to fit normal sized people"

I take you aren't a 19 year old with an eating disorder.

whitney harper 4 years, 7 months ago

I could care less who my clothes are made by. I've tried name brand clothes before and I still have a few things but the problem seems to be that they don't make clothes to fit normal sized people. If something from Khols fits good and feels like i could wear it all day with no complaints then I get it. Does it really matter where a person buys their clothes? I don't think so. Some of my most comfortable clothes are ones from wal-mart and khols. I think it's about how you feel in them then what name is on them.

sgtwolverine 4 years, 7 months ago

No. I wear jeans and t-shirts nearly every day, and I'm not concerned with who made them as long as the shirt says something I like (often something to do with college or minor league sports) and the jeans won't fall apart in a week.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 7 months ago

I've always found it odd that the most expensive stuff comes with a huge ad on the front for the manufacturer: HILFIGER. If I'm a walking billboard for The GAP, then why aren't they paying ME a premium? When did a big "C" become decorative? When Coach started making overpriced bags.

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

No, I don't care about labels. I'll buy them if they look good and are inexpensive, but neither of those are synonymous with brand name clothes.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 7 months ago

Autie - Yes. Diamonds make up the numbers.

R_I - I have standards and that doubly goes for Big Jim and the Twins.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

T_O_B, I rather certain they did not mean the brand of your man-thong...

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

995476.....I don't think my official guess is going to meet muster. I think one million is coming sooner than I thought.

does Gucci make a Raiders jersey?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 7 months ago

It won't touch my skin unless it has Gucci on the label.

Mary Darst 4 years, 7 months ago

Multi...now that is funny. Used to really like Calvin Klien jeans and Eddie Bauer... Gained to much weight for them... I agree with Autie. After 50 What the hell. It's not the age, but you shouldn't have to define yourself by the clothes. (even tho you should never of had to)

coolmom 4 years, 7 months ago

depends...i buy some brand things for my teen girls because it seems to be a matter of life and death but it is limited and it must look good and be easy to care for. my boys it depends but both insist on most labels being cut out as they itch or scratch them. i only but a brand name if it is consistantly better for the money.

Kat Christian 4 years, 7 months ago

No, because I'm not that shallow a person. Clothes are clothes and if they look nice and you know how to put together an outfit it shouldn't matter who's name is on it. My feeling is if you worry about such things like this, then you most likely concern yourself with labeling people as well and are just as shallow a person when it comes to treating others fairly and with an open mind. So take that Funk and Wagnell.

BorderRat 4 years, 7 months ago

The only label I cared about was "Made in America." Can't seem to find it much anymore.

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

Is that a SE Kansas statement or a 'jock' thing?

I think she just came from welding class. Maybe that's why folks down this way call that town "Fredonka".

BABBOY 4 years, 7 months ago

But, only because I want something that fits and does not look stupid like a cheap knock off at Wal-Mart.

prospector 4 years, 7 months ago

Those are some radical shades on the first respondent. A one piece lens? Can't call them insectoid. Is that a SE Kansas statement or a 'jock' thing?

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

I cut the labels out of my clothes anyway.

Doesn't everyone?

prospector 4 years, 7 months ago

I do. If there is a name or the logo of a brand on the item, I don't buy it. What, do I look like a walking billboard? Anyway. all my shirts are from the Free State Brewery. I advertise for them gratis.

The same thing with car dealers. I tell them I will not take delivery if they stencil their name on the back unless they want to pay me a monthly advertising fee.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

Fifty? Is that when they start the death panels?

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

Once your passed fifty it really doens't matter. I'll be looking at the walmart fall line for the fashion minded.

persevering_gal 4 years, 7 months ago

I stopped caring as soon as I came to college. As long as I like them, I don't care what anyone else thinks.

blue73harley 4 years, 7 months ago

Only when it involves giant white rimmed sunglasses.

M. Lindeman 4 years, 7 months ago

cheap 5 star wranglers from walmart, $15.00 a pair you can't beat that price. So when I get greese all over them, wife doesn't get pissed.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 7 months ago

IF I TOOK A NAME LABEL AND SEWED IT ON CHEAP CLOTHES NO ONE WOULD CARE JUST BECAUSE OF A NAME I HAVE LEVI'S AND WRANGLER JEANS.ALSO RUSTLER THE CHEAP ONES.THEY LAST LONGER AND FIT BETTER SO A NAME IS ONLY A STSTUS SYMBLE DONT MEAN THAT YOUR POOR

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

I check to see where they are made. Nothing from China. Hopefully I can find American.

trinity 4 years, 7 months ago

mostly when i'm garage shoppin' or when i go to a toney store&dig through their clearance racks. otherwise, hate to shop and just don't care that much. if the clothes fit, wear 'em. which brought to mind-seems that a lot of "designer" type fashion label clothing is sized really smallish! makes me feel huge-er! :-/

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Sure, they usually include product care information as well as brand name. If it is quality I remember it for future reference.

TheJokerObama 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes because I am a shallow person and only wear brand name clothes. I make fun of people that wear walmart and kmart attire because that just shows they are cheap and have no dignity. Life is all about looking good and being a DB at the same time.