Previous   Next

Would you support a new tradition of Kansas University firing a cannon after the team scores at football games?

Asked at Kansas University campus on September 18, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I think it would be a good way to get the crowd fired up and support our troops as well.”

“I think it would be cool. I think it sounds like a good tradition to start.”

“I think it would be because I think KU is all about traditions. So why not try to start a new one?”

“I don’t think it’s that good of one because (other teams) do that. If we are going to start a new tradition, we should start an original one.”

Comments

Jim Fisher 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree with KansasPerson that the bell sounding after a score is a much better tradition. The way the sound of it hangs in the air is haunting and menacing at the same time

remember_username 4 years, 6 months ago

At least there will be a warning. I wish somebody could warned me about the fireworks launched at Royals stadium. I was eastbound on I-70, just about perpendicular to the stadium when they went off - funny how that PTSD sticks with you after all these years.

BabyBear 4 years, 6 months ago

What about the bells? Campanile ringing the bells after every score is a great tradition. I say keep the one we have!

Boosh 4 years, 6 months ago

LMAO

"18 September 2009 at 3:52 p.m. be3 (Anonymous) says… They had better not. My dog couldn't handle it, I will be sending all future vet bills to the city for allowing this to happen and stress out my dog."

"10 September 2009 at 1:06 p.m. be3 (Anonymous) says… Dogs should be illeagal within city limits. Far too many dog owners in this town are deadbeats, letting their dogs bark and run around at will."

FarmerBoy 4 years, 7 months ago

Best comment of the night:

"Who keeps coming up with these dumb ideas? Tell me how a cannon connects to anything Jayhawk? It doesn't. It's the same as techno music in the field house. We may be Kansas, but we don't have to be hillbillies. (yeehaw, we got us a cannon). Give us a pregame fly-over.

No. A cannon has no place here"

LOL!!!!!

spacehog 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the info., Boris. Belt -fed machine guns sound even better.

toe 4 years, 7 months ago

Football is war so the cannon is perfect. It should also help ROTC recruiting.

sundancewierdo 4 years, 7 months ago

Is waving the wheat not good enough? We freaking wave the wheat! I thought that was the tradition.

KansasPerson 4 years, 7 months ago

oldvet (Anonymous) says…

"Let the cannon get into the game… shoot it off just as the opposing team is kicking a punt, a fieldgoal, an extra point, or kicking off after a score… that ought to cause their kicker to flinch…"

How about letting the cannon REALLY get into the game? Instead of kicking the ball, the players get to fire the cannon at it. Kinda like croquet!

Paul Geisler 4 years, 7 months ago

Hitme and others on here ought to note that the KU Football plays in Memorial Stadium, as in a memorial to fallen soldiers from KU who fought in WWI. That is why firing a cannon after each touchdown is a fitting celebration, whether it be from a WWII era cannon or otherwise. I say Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! Let them fire that damn cannon!!!

I copied this from the Athletics website under Memorial Stadium Facts. "Memorial Stadium is dedicated to the University of Kansas students who fought and died in World War I."

oldvet 4 years, 7 months ago

Let the cannon get into the game... shoot it off just as the opposing team is kicking a punt, a fieldgoal, an extra point, or kicking off after a score... that ought to cause their kicker to flinch...

MeAndFannieLou 4 years, 7 months ago

Be3 - don't you like the advance notice those of you in the neighborhood have been given about this?

smitty 4 years, 7 months ago

KU's "new tradition" was in the news just 1 year ago.....check the Kansan cause the JW...well the archive search is a farce any more.

“Rip his f#$%&*@g head off”

Now KU wants to shoot their f....n heads off?

Nooooo!

estespark 4 years, 7 months ago

We could simply blog our delight.

be3 4 years, 7 months ago

Boris 4 years, 7 months ago

Spacehog, an M-60 is a 7.62mm belt-fed machine gun, not a rifle.

Gootsie 4 years, 7 months ago

Not so crazy about this one.

KansasPerson 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't get the comments equating "cannon" with "hillbilly" (cannon were being used throughout the colonies/states in the early daze) but I don't much like replacing the ringing of the campanile bells with a loud cannon booming.

I like the bells.

Boosh 4 years, 7 months ago

Only if it aimed at my neighbors house.

Agnostick 4 years, 7 months ago

Shoot Bob Hemenway out of a cannon, after every touchdown. Long way, across the field. No helmet.

Make him earn that $340,352.

Besides, he already has tickets to the game... ;)

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

Shane Garrett 4 years, 7 months ago

Or maybe a John Brown guy with a big sword chopping up opponents mascots?

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

Cannon is cool, it gets the blod pumping.

no..hooters girls get the blood pumping, cannons just startle people and wake babies up, leaving them off schedule the rest of the day and night, making their whole families miserable. Sometimes into Sunday. What a happy home game weekend. I vote KU pay for weekends away, game time until after the sitter delivers the kids to whatever on Monday morning, paid babysitting for all parents who have small children if they have this cannon. It's only fair.

I think perhaps stuffing baby jay in, but feathers coming out would be good.

Maybe stuffing the other teams mascot and doing the same.

I'm still like heads on pikes. Just not sure who. What do you think? Football, or the debaters? They never get enough attention. Let's get them where they can be seen.

/ yet not heard.

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

"Amy is right. We need to be original. It should be something spontaneous, started by the students in the stadium, that catches on and eventually becomes a tradition. Let's go students…think of something timeless!"

I know. At every kickoff, the student section should yell something about ripping heads off. That would work.

couranna1 4 years, 7 months ago

my daughters heard about the cannon and now really want to go tomorrow

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

oops stuffed effogies of our opponents. I can see a tiger flying across the stadium. People will shout and dive to catch it. Then they will shred it to pieces. ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR shoot a stuffed Jay hawk with every touch down with the touchdown ball in its hands. The crowd goes wild.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just shoot a Stuffed Jayhawk dressed in football gear though the uprights. That would be Cooooooooooooooool.

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

The cannon idea actually has merritt. IF... we use a circus cannon and shoot stuffed effogies out of the cannon toward the KU fans.

Steve Miller 4 years, 7 months ago

Cannon is cool, it gets the blod pumping. Now punkin chunkin.. that may be an original tradition to start. Hill billy we are and proud of it. Stay home if you don't like it and stay on the proch if yo can't run with the big dogs.. I think i'll go get a corn dog and set on the proch until the second quarter and then listen for the cannon.

whynaut 4 years, 7 months ago

Let us make ceremonial effigies of the opponent mascots for every game. For every score, we hack off a limb, light it on fire, and use it as a torch to lead the flag bearers around the field. Save the cannon blast for victory, in which we fire the remaining head of the effigy through the uprights to an awaiting crowd of fans. Whoever comes away with it may present it at the next home game for a free hot dog and soda or plate of nachos.

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

1) A "new" tradition is an oxymoron. Something isn't a tradition until it's been done for a while, and by then it's not new anymore.

2) Amy is right. We need to be original. It should be something spontaneous, started by the students in the stadium, that catches on and eventually becomes a tradition. Let's go students...think of something timeless!

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, for every score, but only at basketball games.

1029 4 years, 7 months ago

Shooting off a cannon makes sense for a team like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Not for KU.

1029 4 years, 7 months ago

I kind of like spacehog's idea of the leprechan. A leprechan probably is more closely associated with a Jayhawk than a cannon is.

Or, perhaps fans could receive big foam tomahawks at the gate and then do some chant while they make a chopping motion with the foam tomahawk.

Or maybe after every KU touchtown the PA could play the sound effect of a Jaguar growl or something.

Or maybe we could get a cowboy on horseback or a guy leading a buffalo to run across the field after every touchdown.

spacehog 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Amy. How about something original, like an annoying leprechan running up and down the sideline? I think fully loaded M-60 rifles would be better. Just fire them in the air. It's not like the bullets would come back down and hit somebody. Scud missles would be cool, too.

pace 4 years, 7 months ago

They should blow the cannon up, then have a yearly memorial for it. So, no the idea seems stupid.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 7 months ago

Art house movie places.

It does not appear Liberty Hall is showing it.

thepianoman 4 years, 7 months ago

LOL. Yeah, hillbilly is what came to mind when I read this. I know...following the cannon, they could hire some banjo pickers to play dueling banjos....LOL.....

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

Caution: Zombies ahead. or without a head. Like out on video or released to theatre?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 7 months ago

Blue -

Dead Snow is out today!!! It actually got 3 out of 4 stars in the KC Star this morning.

blue73harley 4 years, 7 months ago

Shoot Baby Jay OUT of the cannon.

Matt Warman 4 years, 7 months ago

Shoot a cannon?! Heck no. That is not original. Dang, how lame. Let MU do it, they are allready a copycat school with their original "tiger" mascot. I'm with Milk_man Dan... Dude you rock. I want to sit near him. All a cannon would do is start some NRA debate.

hitme 4 years, 7 months ago

trinity, How 'bout we skip the cannon and just shoot a clown? That would be more fun.

roger_o_thornhill 4 years, 7 months ago

That's what I was thinking--what the hell is a "new" tradition?

mickeyrat 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm with the rooster, three cheers for Amy. Why not be original?

And "three jeers" for the LJWorld, as I don't think there can be such a thing as a "new tradition." Are the OTS people getting paid by the word?

trinity 4 years, 7 months ago

i agree amy. how about a new 'Hawk tradition of shooting a clown with a handful of balloons out of a cannon? friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! :)

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

That cannon going off couldn't be any more disturbing than the phone call I got last night at 11:15 when good people are sleeping. That crazy a** charliejohnson called me so I could hear them Mountain Sprouts playing on the banks of the Walnut river.

MeAndFannieLou 4 years, 7 months ago

Instead of asking just students, why don't they survey the people who live in the neighborhood and are trying to go about their lives?

gccs14r 4 years, 7 months ago

Our dog hides from thunderstorms and has to be dragged outside against his will around Independence Day because of all the fireworks. Now you're telling us that he's going to be cowering in fear every other Saturday during football season, too. Fabulous.

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, then lets give all the people leaving the stadium in their cars tickets for loud music. Make perfect sense.

milkman_dan 4 years, 7 months ago

Let's start a new tradition that actually brings in cash for the university. One that fills the stadium, sell products to the fans, and make them want to come early to the games. When a Hooters girl brings me a beer, I will gladly hand over my donation to help the university. Why? Because I'm a giver. Because I care. You don't have to thank me, giving is its own reward

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

depends on where the ball ends up...? : )

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

First we should have the mud races,

Followed by the keg toss,

Next up, the motorized lawn chair races,

Then for the grand finale, the pumpkin cannon

Ah, the good times.....

;-)

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 7 months ago

Firing a cannon at a football game supports the troops? This kid should run for school board or join Kansas Athletics, Inc.

M. Lindeman 4 years, 7 months ago

looks like the KU Sophomore is going for the DJ jazzy Dan look. Maybe he can stand in front of the cannon, it might knock that hat back in the right place.

hitme 4 years, 7 months ago

No. A cannon has no place here

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

Sure. Big booms are cool. I say, Light it up!