Previous   Next

Do you have a ‘man cave’?

Asked at Wayne & Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on September 15, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, I do not because I do not own my house, I rent.”

“No, I do not, but we build ‘man caves’ — that’s all we do.”

“No, not enough room in my house for one.”

“Yes, I do. It has my TV, my bed … my refrigerator full of beer.”

Comments

Gootsie 4 years, 7 months ago

TOB, my hubby unit is the best wife a girl could have. He does most of the cooking,. I pass thru there for biscuits and ice cream bars.

Hope you are well and fully drugged today jonas!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

"jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…

No, no. I just have a Bat Cave.

Wish me luck folks, getting my back operated on today."

Marion writes:

Best wishes, Dude!

Back issues are not good!

I got disc deterioration L1- L5, so I know.

You take care!

I mean, without you, who would...................

Well, you know!

Get well!

TacoBob 4 years, 7 months ago

Multi, have to agree with you, time to upgrade to the 21st century.

And to TheJokerObama - Easy there Brokeback - your team affiliation is clear.

At ease sailor!

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

snoopy, those 4 side tvs are so little, you need to upgrade dude. how can you stand it?

Chad Collins 4 years, 7 months ago

Yup, and mine's better than yours!! Don't hate the man cave, hate the game....

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

I only move at the speed of the gods when i'm fighting off ninjas.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

jonas, Godspeed with your recovery.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

nite, and thanks. Hope you get some sleep.And the pain killers work.

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm back. It went well and I'm going home. I'd write more but my head is full of cotton. Cotton soaked in chloroform.

TheJokerObama 4 years, 7 months ago

Open your mancave for me. C : [enter] : # # #

blue73harley 4 years, 7 months ago

Another good luck to Jonas!!! One of the few sane and coherent LJW/Big OTS! posters. (Or at least semi-sane. I guess you can't be completely sane if you post here)

TacoBob 4 years, 7 months ago

I have a MCC - Men's Crisis Center. Qualifies for stimulus money - the Man Cave funding request was rejected.

Godspeed Jonas.

Drew_Carey 4 years, 7 months ago

5000 pts for jonas because he's going to need them.

Drew_Carey 4 years, 7 months ago

1000 pts to Roe for mentioning he has a multi boring machine on the same thread that multi mentions she is the proud possessor of a man cave.

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

This guy made a video in his man cave. For my comrades..when you see who is number one, You'll know why.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 7 months ago

"I have what I call a “Saturday Room” which is where I have all my woman/mother stuff and I go there on Saturdays to just goof around. "

The kitchen?

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

Gootsie, how about "A Saturday Room"? I had another name that was pretty harsh. But, since I know you and I know how sweet you are I would never say it. It certainly was the opposit of Man cave.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 7 months ago

Praise the Lord, I am a single woman so I don't have to put up with any of this. I have been blessed. Good luck, Jonas.

Gootsie 4 years, 7 months ago

Good luck Jonas - check back soon!

I have what I call a "Saturday Room" which is where I have all my woman/mother stuff and I go there on Saturdays to just goof around. Hubby unit doesn't care to be in there, although I do need some pictures hung.

What would I call it to be consistent with "man cave"?

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

There are a couple of lines in the movie Enemies of Laughter discussing writers in Hollywood all being Jewish. The Jewish director comes back with, "Why can't you Gentiles amuse yourselves?"

That Lifetime channel, man hating, women wronged.. and I wonder..who write this stuff? I mean...which group are we going to hold accountable? Did the Jews leave Hollywood? Or has another group moved in also?

Enjoy that for a moment or two. Generalizations..because they are such fun when you see them.

( I dread Lifetime, can we get that in a bumper sticker?)

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Good luck jonas...

I'll show you my scar if you show me yours (scar)...

Not a ManCave! 2 table saws, planer, shaper, mitre saw, band saw, 13 routers, 2 drill press, multi bore machine, dust collector. Tools, tools, tools! More Craftsman tools than Sears! My kids ask what I need all that stuff for. I say so they get to sort it out when I'm gone.

Paybacks!

Boosh 4 years, 7 months ago

LMAO, autie, I'm nice and call it the estrogen channel. Just glad I have a TV, computer, stereo in my "den" I just need a wc and a fridge and she who must be obeyed will have to work at prying me out.

sgtwolverine 4 years, 7 months ago

I like how they put man cave in quotes, as if to say, "We'd never use this term, but we hear it's popular in some parts of the world."

Jonas, you should ask your surgeon if he has a "man cave."

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

Good luck Jonas, Without you, the bat cave will just be a cave.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

oh jonas..so glad, we'll be thinking of you. You tweeting from the operating room?

con..to quote paris..that's hot.

BABBOY 4 years, 7 months ago

The phrase man cave is stupid.

Good luck on your surgery Jonas.

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

No, no. I just have a Bat Cave.

Wish me luck folks, getting my back operated on today.

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

Good one auti. then there is the HGTV, which stands for "how gay" tv.

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

Multi you are correct. My whole house is a man cave. My basement just happens to be the room designated for my workout equipment. Done in orange and black with Harley posters, a bar set up. More testosterone than a sperm bank. I also store me MC there during the winter months. It is great to be a man. No metro sexual for me thanks.

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

I believe the term mancave was coined by some smart alecky woman. A derisive term to define where her protector and provider had escaped to whenever her mother came to visit. It had to be a male coordinated environment that repelled the female of the species. Where men could drink beer and belch loudly, while passing gas and laughing about it, with no fear of retribution from those who normally would feign being offended. Maybe that's kind of like when I refer to the Lifetime Channel as the B*tch Channel.

Boosh 4 years, 7 months ago

Is it another term for a Den where I keep my "Etchings"?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 7 months ago

Autie - You left the growler on shore? For shame.

Pywacket 4 years, 7 months ago

Multi and Gootsie~ Naughty girls! ;-)

My husband and son do have a man cave and I am happy to send them to it. Hubby finished a nice big room, which had previously housed a lot of junk, crapola, dust, animal hair, etc., in the basement, so it's actually a huge improvement and will be a good selling point when we finally put this place on the market.

In this room, he has a crazy-expensive treadmill, other work-out items, a giant suede-covered beanbag chair with matching beanbag "footstool," the requisite ginormous TV, stereo and gaming equipment (wii and the like), a couple other comfy chairs, cool custom lighting, and a special-order flooring surface that is some kind of hard foam stuff. Good for exercise but also very attractive.

The walls have framed superhero posters, medals & such from athletic events (recent--he at least didn't dig out the high school stuff! ha), and, I'm not sure what else. I stay away.

Everyone who's been led down there for the grand tour following the completion of the room this summer has "ooooh"ed and "ahhhhhh"ed and declared that they want to put one in their house. Especially the women. Because if you let him choose his own floor covering, wall colors, ceiling materials, lights, and furnishings in one dedicated room, you can kindly but firmly tell him to run along when you're picking out these things for the rest of the house. ;-)

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

TOB, do you keep a 12 volt battery charger in your bunker per chance? A guy never knows when he might be in the wind with nothing but a paddle and the growler is on shore.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

Single dude with man cave.. Why does a single man need a man cave? Are you planning for the future, or it that a leftover?

Gootsie, I wouldn't do it if I were you. (email me when you get back,use your cell for pics but turn off the flash,ok?)

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 7 months ago

"Man Cave sounds like a term some metrosexual GQ guy created." Blue.

Bam! That's it. Thank you.

prospector 4 years, 7 months ago

The Free State Brewery 'living room'. That is the area under the stairs by the bar with 5 chairs and a bar stool for a table.

Hey! Get out of my chair!

blue73harley 4 years, 7 months ago

I have a "workshop" detached from the house. However, not a lot of work gets done there. I think I will stick with workshop. Man Cave sounds like a term some metrosexual GQ guy created. I just can't picture 60 gallon air compressor, welders and roll-away tool boxes in a cave.

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

BIg Surprise to everyone, "Yes I do". Gootsie come over and I will show you, through the window, (No women allowed).

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

Is there an ACORN office in town where I could get advice on setting up a sporting house in my man cave?

dajudge 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't. But, I do have is a Fortress of Solitude, being the man I am.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 7 months ago

Man Cave? I'm with RI. Stupid, lame, and vile.

I have a bunker.

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

Whatever! whatever! I do what I want.

As long as it's OK with Mrs. autie.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

R_I's already got the Golden Fruitcake for his 12:46 AM post.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

H, 3 phase and hardwood floors, but no speleothems of any shape or form.

Boosh 4 years, 7 months ago

Nice to laugh so early in the morning

Gootsie 4 years, 7 months ago

What is a man cave? I think Multi has the right idea...

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, it is an extension of the 'tent' I built when I was younger with blankets and chairs and sofa cushions as a kid.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

3:36 AM and I'm reading......

this....

shtuff...

I gotta get back to sleep.

BMI 4 years, 7 months ago

Only if he's stuck on the ceiling.

H_Lecter 4 years, 7 months ago

So, R_I, you have stalactites in your cave?

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

/and I wouldn't have it any other way I might add. Oh wait..or would I ??

damn..okay...maybe...

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

(facepalm)

Of course I do, that is the definition of being a woman as I recall.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

man cave? What a wretched, horrid, vile term.

I much prefer lair, sanctum, or in a pinch: mastabatorium.