Previous   Next

Do you think it would be fun to be a farmer?

Asked at Pinckney School, 810 W. Sixth St. on September 14, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, because you have to do all that work.”

“No, because you have to do all that work, and it’s hard to do it in the heat.”

“Not really. I don’t like doing a lot of work all the time.”

“No, because you have to take care of a whole bunch of animals, and you don’t really get paid for it.”

“Yes, because you don’t have to go to the grocery store, you can just grow crops. ”

“No, because you have to do all the hard work in the sun and you get hot.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

Grandpa & Grandma were sharecroppers in the 1930's. I don't recall them describing farming as being fun.

canyon_wren 5 years, 1 month ago

When I was growing up, we stayed a lot with uncles who had farms in Douglas and Franklin counties, and I always thought I wanted a farm with chickens and a Jersey cow. Over the years, I have raised big gardens and canned and frozen things I raised, but know the time is past for me to undertake anything like real farm work.

I have always been a "rural romantic," and have a lot of good books about early-day prairie homesteaders. I have been re-reading some of those and got to thinking, just yesterday, that it is no mystery why so many wives in those days died relatively young. What a hard job they had to do, and the life of today's farmer is not a whole lot easier, plus there is more stress from financial worries. It is really too bad that the average person has no concept of or appreciation for what our farmers are doing for us and what their struggles are like.

Crossfire 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, to be a Beat Farmer... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npOg8... ...nothin' more fun than A Gun Sale At The Church. Hell-yea...!

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

No thanks although I give big props to those who are farmers. I'm just a city girl. I watched my Dad and stepmother work a farm where they bred, raised, and kept other peoples' horses. The riding part was a lot of fun but the rest was a lot of work.

trinity 5 years, 1 month ago

i kick bootie playing "farmtown". :)

i don't know that "fun" is really a good word to use about farming, though...

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

Fortunately, the one who said "yes" can grow enough to feed the others who said "no."

How many of you would think it "fun" to be a farmer? Sorry, but I don't mind being a consumer.

alm77 5 years, 1 month ago

Ridge, I wouldn't say they have no work ethic (I know almost every one of those kids and I would say that they do) I think they have a realistic view of the job of farmers. Farmers work very, very hard and none of the farmers I know make near what they are worth.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

That would depend on your definition of farm. We lived far out in the country and grew our own vegetables, berries, nuts, and fruit. We had a Jersey cow and Rhode Island Red chickens. I remember it as being great fun, and yes as a child I did my share of the work. I am not sure if I would like to do it at my age, but I am glad I got to experience it as a child.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

They have no work ethic because they have no interest in one of the historically most back-breaking careers out there? Hmmmmm

Dixie Jones 5 years, 1 month ago

Been there done that, aint pretty. my hat off to the american farmer.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 1 month ago

Fun? No! Not for me. But I know some people who seem to enjoy it...most days.

Bea, he could feed those five and 140 more! God bless the American farmer! (I like to eat!)

trinity 5 years, 1 month ago

same here s_s; not necessarily "fun", but i know some who are genuinely fulfilled or something like that by farming.

and yep-there are indeed some days that my job/work/career is "fun".

aw damn autie-you mean i should scrap my hopes of raising enough coin to finally be able to get the mansion&greenhouse&stuff on farmtown???

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

All of Trinity's cattle are open and she finds out that her $3000 bull is shooting blanks. She wanted to share her hardship with her friends.

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

Trinity has just found out her soybean crop is contaminated with rust. Her field is burned and she has now lost a year's income. She wanted to share her hardship with her friends.

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh no!!! Eco-terrorists have discovered that Trinity has planted RoundUp ready soybeans and have burned her field in protest. She wanted to share her hardship with her friends.

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

Those are the kind of Farmtown updates I want to see on facebook.

tomatogrower 5 years, 1 month ago

RidgeRunner (Anonymous) says…

1 out of 6… Where's the work ethic gone, teachers?

Oh come on RidgeRunner, no one really works. I mean on TV everyone's house is clean and decorated beautifully, but do you ever see anyone clean it, or go to a job to buy what it would take to have a house like that? No, and all these kids will tell you that TV is for real.

Chrissy Neibarger 5 years, 1 month ago

Trinity - I need another neighbor so someone else can plow for me :) Just kidding. I love farmtown.

I don't think i could handle the getting up with the sun. That's the only reason that i wouldn't consider farming "fun". I love to sleep in.

twinetowngirl 5 years, 1 month ago

The problem is..unless the farm was handed down to you, you can not make a go of it..and sometimes even if it is you cant make it work. When combines and tractors cost upwards of 300k (you know, the big ones that you HAVE to have to farm all that land) the price of diesel, seed, chemicals to spray ect ect. The little guy cant make a living at it. Then factor in the rain, or lack therof, hail, and whatever else may come into play. I grew up on a farm. We were driving at age 8. Taking water to the cows in the winter, up every morning to feed them...drove tractors, combines, all that jazz. Wheat harvest to this day is still my favorite time of the year. There is nothing more beautiful than seeing that waving wheat (that goes fo the KU version too!)
Was it hard work...your darn right it was, but it also instilled a work ethic in all of us kids. I would do it all again.
I think maybe all kids should experience actually working on a farm for a month...that would be enough to make most of them think they were dying from not getting to play video games every chance they got.