Previous   Next

Do you consider yourself a bargain shopper?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on September 14, 2009

Browse the archives

“I do. I’m always looking for the best deals.”

“Yes, I am, because I always look in the paper (for deals) and talk to friends.”

“I definitely am, and I kind of get in trouble for being too frugal.”

“I try to be. I try to get the bargains.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

Are you truly getting bargains on an appliance,tools,shoes or whatever with a big name made "cheaper" = lost quality. Why buy low end brand name throw away products that need replacing far more often = no savings.

Is the deal really a deal? So many store declare the greatest sale on earth. The NEW sale tag displays an extraordinarily high suggested retail price then the sale price when many times the everyday selling price may have been more of a bargain aka manipulation. Yes this happens.

Who pays the suggested retail price in todays world?

Are big box stores truly a better bargain price than Browns Shoe Fit,Weavers,Cottins,Checkers,Kiefs ...... don't bet on it.

Are we manipulated by advertising? Be smart shop around.

canyon_wren 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't know if "bargain shopping" is synonymous with "buying things on sale"--from some of the posts so far, it sounds like there may be a difference. I definitely do NOT use the coupons that come with Sunday supplements or in the mail, as a rule, as most are for prepackaged stuff that I would not ordinarily buy and the manufacturers are just trying to promote. There are somethings that I absolutely look for on sale--like toilet paper and paper towels--and stock up on things like that. But, just cooking for myself, I have had to retrain myself and not buy large sizes of things like Crisco, just because they are cheaper.

I don't know if I would go QUITE as far as prospector and choose going to the dentist over shopping, but I share that poster's distaste for the job, though grocery shopping isn't nearly as onerous for me as most other kinds.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

oh yeh. i'm definitely an el-cheapo but i come from a long line of cheapskates-- on both sides of my family. so i am quite proud of that quality. its inherited. :)

sgtwolverine 5 years, 3 months ago

When I hear things like "the more you spend, the more you save" or "you saved as much as you spent," I want to punch a bargain in the nose.

feeble 5 years, 3 months ago

Being a bargain shopper means more than just comparing sticker price.

Using Hyvee as an example, a bargain shopper will compare packaging, volume and/or box size to price. The bargain shopper will inspect their meat or vetable purchase selections carefully, attempting to maximize their purchase value by minimizing waste. Only pay for what you are going to use.

canyon_wren 5 years, 3 months ago

You brought back some memories, multidisciplinary. I remember when living in Lawrence after I was married that when things were on sale, the ad usually specified that you could only buy one at that price "with a $10 purchase." That was such a pain and certainly didn't allow you to stock up at all. I don't know if that is still the case there or not. They would never get by with that here in Utah with the Mormons having such large families! I'm not sure if that was just a Lawrence custom or a state law of some kind. That was in the very early 60s when a quart of mayonnaise was 39 cents and I could get a can of pie cherries for 29 cents--whole chickens were 29 cents a pound.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 3 months ago

heck yea I go to the yellow house store, Dollar tree , Mikes house of bargains for my bargain shopping

sherbert 5 years, 3 months ago

I buy what I want to buy, but if there's a coupon for it, why not use it? Especially for restaurants, buy one get one 1/2 is better than paying full price.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 3 months ago

Alternate answer:

No, I'm a very expensive shopper!

H_Lecter 5 years, 3 months ago

Autie, Has that beer already been kidney-filtered?