Previous   Next

Have you ever gone back to the theater to watch the same movie over and over?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on September 11, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, ‘Higher Learning,’ because it was a great movie and people could learn a lesson from it.”

“Recently no, 10 years ago yes. It’s too expensive now.”

“No, once I’ve seen it I don’t really need to see it again”

“Yes, I have — ‘Gladiator.’”

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

I saw Alien about 4 times because I kept taking friends who hadn't seen it.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 11 months ago

"...and Justice for All" Al Pacino. Kid's price was $1. Saw it about 10 times '79-'80. Rented it recently for old time's sake. Still an excellent movie.

Bill Lee 4 years, 11 months ago

After meeting Natalie Wood at UCLA, I went to see her then current movie "Sex and the Single Girl" every night until its run ended at a theater just off campus. That was in 1965. I may have seen something more than once since then, but nothing can compare to that '65 foolishness. She had the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

american graffitti...very tough to beat it. maybe best line ever when Harrison Ford and Terry are yacking at the stoplight: "Bob Falfa: Hey, you know a guy around here with a piss yellow deuce coupe, supposed to be hot stuff? Terry Fields: You mean John Milner? [Falfa nods slowly] Terry Fields: Hey, nobody can beat him, man. He's got the fastest... Bob Falfa: I ain't nobody, dork.

coolmom 4 years, 11 months ago

i think the last movie i saw multiple times was an e.t or start wars...does it count if i have paid for a teen girl to go see the same movie over and over? (titanic+teen girls=money)

kung_pao_chicken 4 years, 11 months ago

When I was in college 1977, I walked an hour across town to see "Star Wars." I liked it so much, I hid in the bathroom until the next showing and watched it again (poor college student).

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

Generally, I've found it much cheaper to wait, and then watch it on DVD if I need many repeat viewings. 15-Infinite for the price of 1, maybe 1.5.

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

1029 4 years, 11 months ago

Saw "Malibu's Most Wanted" six times in the theatre. Probably the greatest cinematic gem of the last 30 years or so--the cinematography, the plot, the character development, the acting, the suspense and intensity, etc, etc. Definitely the most underrated and under-appreciated movie of all time.

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

What Did I say? I can't even remember.

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

oh right, I said the lawrence theater sucks. I think I had a contraction of a swear word in there, but I've done that before, as have many people.

Bizarre, someone must have an itchy trigger finger today.

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

haha, definitely an itchy-trigger finger

Romans832 4 years, 11 months ago

In recent memory, I saw Bella twice. I wanted to put my money behind a movie that needed more exposure. (Still can't understand how a movie that won the Toronto Film Festival didn't get play time at Liberty Hall.) I believe I saw Chariots of Fire twice. I know I took a friend with me once, but I think I'd seen it once before.

denak 4 years, 11 months ago

I went to Chicago several times. And, of course, I go and see the Harry Potter movies three or four times each with different friends and families. In fact, when it plays at the Union in Octob er, we are going again.

Dena

GardenMomma 4 years, 11 months ago

Not since I was a kid. I saw E.T. a lot (I think the total was 11 times) the older brother was cute and so was C. Thomas Howell!

MyName 4 years, 11 months ago

Yes, the Lord of the Rings movies, and unfortunately, Titanic, because not only do some people have to see that movie a dozen times, but they also have to make sure and take everyone around them as well.

It's gotten alot more expensive so I've been maxing out at around 2 for a movie that I really like.

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

Py: I sent a pm to you with the second one, too. I think it's safe to say that I deserved it that time. hahahahah

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

R-I: The spacebar is your friend.

jonas_opines 4 years, 11 months ago

man, I don't even want to know. . . .

sgtwolverine 4 years, 11 months ago

I haven't laughed this much here in a while. (Of course, I haven't been here much over the last couple months, so that hasn't helped.) Thanks, everybody.

Matt Warman 4 years, 11 months ago

Heck yes, back in the day before cable and Blockbuster, you had to go back to the show to see a movie you liked. I went back to see Airplane and Animal House about a dozen times each.

igby 4 years, 11 months ago

Pulp Fiction and O Brother Where 'Art thou are good reruns to watch!

Katara 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't go back to the theaters again but O Brother Where Art Thou and Tankgirl are watched frequently around here.

Katara 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh and all the Conan movies and Highlander.