Previous   Next

Should the Kansas City Chiefs cut Larry Johnson?

Asked at Wayne and Larry's Sports Bar, 933 Iowa St. on October 29, 2009

Browse the archives

“Absolutely, it’s obvious he’s unhappy and he’s unproductive and it’s time to cut our losses and move on.”

“I’ll go with yes … his attitude (is bad).”

“Most definitely because we don’t need people like that on the team.”

“Yes, because the kids need somebody to look up to and he’s not setting a good example.”

Comments

musbhiorlo 4 years, 5 months ago

not true ferrislives. it's not being a "fair weather fan" it's called cutting your losses. I choose to not be a chiefs fan, even so i still hate the raiders. the only difference is i also hate the chiefs. i hate the raiders for a different reason than the reason i hate the chiefs. it's unlikely that the raiders will ever be a good team again, and it is unlikely that the chiefs will ever be a good team again. all sports teams do bad in kansas city, the smart ones move to another state.

ferrislives 4 years, 5 months ago

musbhiorlo (Anonymous) says…

"...sure johnson spits on women and throws drinks at women too much, maybe he should be fired for those reasons, but for complaining about his coach, we should give him a medal"

Although I do have a problem with any sports player dogging on their coach in public, my biggest problem with LJ is that he's a prima donna with average talent. If you just watch him each week, you'll see that he doesn't try that hard to get extra yards.

When they give him the ball, I find myself cringing, and I'm sure that other fans feel the same. Just read what Marty Schottenheimer wrote above; I think it's right on point, and fans are starting to agree.

To those who are dissing the Chiefs, that's fine, we don't need your type of fan anyway. Fair weather fans like you can go elsewhere, like Oakland! I'll support my team through thick and thin, and any real Chiefs fan obviously would do the same.

musbhiorlo 4 years, 5 months ago

if the chiefs weren't such losers he wouldn't need to complain. why fire him when he isn't the problem? why fire him because the coach is lousy and the owner is a idiot? why not listen to his complaints and do something about them? sure johnson spits on women and throws drinks at women too much, maybe he should be fired for those reasons, but for complaining about his coach, we should give him a medal

riverdrifter 4 years, 5 months ago

Pace, would you like to go for dinner & drinks?!

"Does this refer to some sort of boring sports thing?"

Yep.

Multi: shut up...

pace 4 years, 5 months ago

I find all these remarks about cutting people to be distasteful. I picture some caped soul sneering and saying "I am going to cut you". Does this refer to some sort of boring sports thing? Would this be a symbolic cut or would an actual pokey thing be used? It is more important that every day working families are losing their jobs and homes, while the bankers are safe and fussing about their bonuses.

farfle 4 years, 5 months ago

The Chiefs would be making a big mistake, He still has the right to freedom of speech. He also has a union contract. The Chiefs will be making fools of themselves, as if I care.

motomom 4 years, 5 months ago

get rid of that goofy, expressionless coach first. what's wrong with that guy?

riverdrifter 4 years, 5 months ago

Waive his arse. Overpaid, zero trade value, locker room cancer. I talked to a former teammate (now retired, 31 years old & set for life!), about LJ. He was gloomy and unlikeable even when his career was peaking. He had no friends on the team then and he doesn't now.

hitme 4 years, 5 months ago

I say we hire some KU b-ball or football players to meet him outside the stadium.

consumer1 4 years, 5 months ago

Why wasn't this question asked at the Merc? Larry Johnson? Who is Larry Johnson, are we cutting people now?

TrooGrit 4 years, 5 months ago

Yep..dump him. He's a two year old mind, in a man's body, and baby...that's not a good combination!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

Amen to BABBOY and ferris' comments.

Liberty_One 4 years, 5 months ago

Dump him. He's overpaid as it is considering his production, and 2.7 yards/carry RBs can be found that will stay positive.

craigers 4 years, 5 months ago

ferrislives, I completely agree. Don't let him get the record and like somebody else posted, suspend him for the rest of the year and don't pay him. Just another whiney TO in the making.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 5 months ago

Who is Larry Johnson and why is he saying those terrible things about me?*

*Movie reference.

Which one?

ferrislives 4 years, 5 months ago

Should the Kansas City Chiefs cut Larry Johnson?

Absolutely! And I'm glad that Jamaal Charles is taking his place. Especially considering Johnson has 2.7 avg. yards per carry, while Clarles' has 5.0 avg. yards per carry. And I love what Marty Schottenheimer had to say about it: "Let me ask you this, of the other 31 teams in the National Football League, who in the world is going to bring him into their locker room? Whether they're losing or, certainly they won't if they're winning. But, to me, the guy doesn't have the skill level to warrant the kind of b.s. that they're putting up with out there and I would not be surprised to see them run him right out of town."

LJ is a waste of money and time, and it's time for him to go the way of the dodo birds.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 5 months ago

co-sign babboy... not you, roe. you know i think you're a peach but you're kind of rambling right now... ;P

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Do you have as much trouble with this as I do, R_I? As the days get shorter, I want an extra hour of daylight added on!

;-)

(Standard time resumes Nov. 1)

BABBOY 4 years, 5 months ago

3 reasons to dump this guy:

1. They have given him every chance to be their man at running back and he basically pissed on them every time including when they gave a second chance after he beat up his girl friend or whatever she was to him.

2. He a detriment to the team. Look at the time he has wasted and the conflict with other players and all the BS this jerk generates.

3. I just do not want him to have the record. Let Priest keep it and dump this guy.

On related notes, I say give Cassell a chance. He came back from knee injury with only one game lost and is playing behind the worst offensive line that I remember wearing a Chief's jersey.

As for the line, blame the head coach. Haley reminds so much of Ron Prince I want to throw up. Haley was bragging about the weight loss by the line. How did that work out Coach? Did not work for Prince. I say the Chiefs should save them selves a couple years of heartache and just find a competent coach right now and not do what KSU did by living with a bad decision for three years.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 5 months ago

When does daylight savings start? I need to make a sunshine withdrawl.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 5 months ago

acg, i actually agree w/ you on several things: that larry johnson is an overrated tool (that especially) as well as the fact that coach probably got his feelings a little too hurt and that is where all of the hub-bub is coming from.

i am not a fair weather fan but damn-- it sure is hard to be a chiefs fan these days! now i can sympathize w/ what it must've been like during most of the 80s (which was before i understood, liked and paid attention to football). don't we suck even worse NOW than we did then??...

acg 4 years, 5 months ago

They didn't suspend him because of the gay slur. No one gives a crap about gays or they'd have the rights they deserve to have. If everyone is so concerned about offending them, why can't they marry and be miserable, uh, happy like the rest of us? :) The only reason he got suspended is ol' coach couldn't handle the twitter comments Larry made the about him. And maybe coach needs to think long and hard about why that bothered him so bad. Maybe cause it's true. I'm not a fan of Larry Johnson's btw, I think he's an overrated tool, but he has the right to say what he wants, regardless of who it upsets. Called my gay mother in law last night and we were talking about this (she's a football nut) and she said that gay people weren't as upset about the f*g comment as the pc sheeple were. Too funny!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 5 months ago

Conduct detrimental to the team?

What about the offensive line?

Jodi_B 4 years, 5 months ago

Even ignoring the attitude issue he's not exactly helping us win any games. Whether they cut him or not I think the result of most of the games is going to be an loss anyway. I say hold on to him (to deny him what he wants) but don't play him. The last thing KC wants is for him to pick up those last 76 yards and be remembered in Chiefs history.

Shane Garrett 4 years, 5 months ago

I say give him 150 carries so he can gain his 76 yards and become the Chefs all time leading rusher. Blah, Blah, Blah. Pro football is a collision sport. If the coach and media never played a down then perhaps LJ has an opinion that they could all kiss his arse. So, who really cares that he called non-players limp wristed, Oh, I guess the PC crowd in the NFL. Would not want to loose all those ticket sells by the guys who just love watching men in tight pants.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

By the way, the Chiefs would be lucky to get a sack of footballs for Larry in a trade. Too much salary, too much baggage.

Matt Warman 4 years, 5 months ago

They should trade him but the trading deadline has passed for this year so they are stuck with him for the rest of the year. After the season is over they need to unload him for a draft pick or two. Maybe some offensive linemen. Anything would be better than his disruptions.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

You're not supposed to insult your head coach, GM, owner, and the local media with Twitter. Larry's just trying get attention like a baby.

Problem is, he's been whining ever since he arrived in KC. Remember Vermeil's diaper comment a few years back? And throwing a drink on a woman? And his rap song that said "F" Carl Petersen? It's just more of the same with this clown.

I'd suspend him for the rest of the year without pay (so he can't play anywhere else either) and cut him at the end of the season.

labmonkey 4 years, 5 months ago

It is about two and a half years too late to ask that question. The Chiefs stupidly paid him and not Jared Allen. The Chiefs stupidly paid Cassell $60 million when he isn't an improvement over Thigpin (and I am thinking a downgrade) instead of bolstering their offensive line.

Whitlock was right....Haley and Pioli should be thanking God for Johnson right now, because he is distracting the public from looking at Haley's poor coaching performance and Pioli's poor personnel moves.

Defender 4 years, 5 months ago

"no, the last i heard was that this is a free country and you're entitled to have your opinion."

This has nothing to do with free speech. NFL teams are private businesses, free speech does not apply here.

75x55 4 years, 5 months ago

If a better player can be found to replace him.

craigers 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes on the calf so he can't run on the next team he whines on.

musbhiorlo 4 years, 5 months ago

no, the last i heard was that this is a free country and you're entitled to have your opinion. FYI quite often other people post their opinions on twitter along with what is going on in their life at that moment, this is actually what you're supposed to do when using twitter.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 5 months ago

consumer1 4 years, 5 months ago

No, we need to reinstate everyone's constitutional rights to freedom of speech and quit giving special status to groups who think they are special.

prospector 4 years, 5 months ago

They should give him the "Clockwork Orange" treatment.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 5 months ago

Ahhh, hell. Leave him on the team. He is the only interesting thing over there.

/Not a Chiefs fan.

autie 4 years, 5 months ago

They need to do the Donald Trump thing and tell him, "You're fired"!!

Donnuts 4 years, 5 months ago

Depends on whether it is with a machete, a scalpel or a chainsaw. A scalpel would leave more of a clean cut.