Previous   Next

What was the most scared you’ve ever been?

Asked at Free State High School on October 26, 2009

Browse the archives

“While I was driving on the highway, I got a call from my friend’s dad that my house burned down.”

“Seeing ‘Paranormal Activity’ over the weekend. That was a pretty scary movie. ”

“In about second grade, I went exploring a creek with a friend, and we got absolutely lost.”

“When I almost drowned in fifth grade at a golf course creek. ”

“The first time I backed into a fence with my car.”

“My family was driving to Mississippi, and my mom accidentally fell asleep on the wheel and almost hit a semi.”

Comments

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

December 21st, 1983. Watching my house burn down with my 2 year-old daughter inside. She survived, but just barely. Can never say anything bad about firefighters or KU Med Burn Unit.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 3 months ago

Waking up in detox to face a life without alcohol.

It gets better.That first week was a bear.

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

it involved ford escorts an sofas an stuf but i cant talk boutit

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

The Johnny Carson toilet paper shortage of '73

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

after the first time i watched the blair witch project i was pretty spooked-out. i felt like i was being watched. it was pretty weird.

bondmen 5 years, 3 months ago

Next to the day Barack Hussein Obama was sworn in as POTUS the day soon thereafter when he bowed to the Saudi Arabian King and kissed his ring. And we thought Bush was a sellout to the oil interests!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

The night I almost got pitched out of the TC hatch of an M60 tank. We were tearing down a tank trail at night & hit a ditch. Had I fallen down the tank's front slope & under the tracks, I'd have been ground into hamburger.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

& then there was the time I threw a doughnut whilst driving a semi & pulling a 48' trailer. It was on a skid pad under controlled conditions, but still made my little heart go pitty-pat there for a second.

coolmom 5 years, 3 months ago

watching my oldest son is the pediatric intensive care.

acg 5 years, 3 months ago

I almost drowned once on a canoe trip. That was pretty scary. Old friends of mine put a fully dressed in black mannequin in my backseat once. When I noticed him, while driving down 6th, I almost wrecked. That was pretty bad. Oh and when I was a kid my aunt lived in a haunted house in Little Rock. That place always freaked me out.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

not exactly the same thing, acg, but what you said about your friends' stunt w/ that mannequin in your car made me think of something my dad said his friends did to him when he was a teenager.

they locked him in a car (not really sure how they did that but to hear him tell it, he was trapped for several minutes) w/ a wild turkey. no, not a bottle of whiskey, an actual wild turkey. he said it scared the pee outta him. lol i'm sure the feeling was mutual on the part of the bird. ;)

parrothead8 5 years, 3 months ago

When I was a child, my family went on vacation to the Holiday Inn Holidome Resort in Navarre Beach, FL. They had a movie theater, and my dad took me to see Jaws II. He didn't realize that they'd filmed a lot of the movie right there at the resort.

The next morning, when we went out to the beach, the familiarity of the scene hit me and I freaked. Dad tried to get me to go in the water, but I was absolutely against it. He even tried dragging me in with him to show me it was okay, but I freaked so bad people thought he was abusing me. Looking back, I know I overreacted, but man, I must have been scared witless to act like that because I was always a pretty laid-back little kid.

wordgenie8 5 years, 3 months ago

Having complete strangers who everyday I pray heaven would just be content to stay that way since it would solve all my night terrors aggressively and mindlessly approach me on the public streets with the busybody and insulting question "Need help?" Frighteningly ignorant hillbillies need to learn to mind their own business. Sometimes they even grab me or my bags. People, if you were my last help on earth I wouldn't want you and your bigotry! Your fat- ego, bogus "helpful" attitude is just another word for the type of incompetence that flatters itself by locating flaws in others instead of looking in the mirror.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

There was a Coo-Coo for Cocoa Puffs person yelling at me a few days ago just because I looked at them. That was scary.

wordgenie8 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh yeah, Bob, it definitely amounts to a giant show of public hatred to stand up for human dignity and decent respect for personal boundaries. Certainly, do hope I'm not speaking to ALL locals but based on my hair-raising,vindictive experiences in town I couldn't vouch to that. Lawrence seems in general an extremely politically unaware and politically incorrect place that's incredibly hostile and patronizing toward diversity.

You correctly observe that I am currently unable to locate a softspot in my heart for the busybodies who stalk and profile and nosily get up in others' business in public.Such people must be thoroughly convinced Jesus loves them a whole bunch, so likely they don't miss my puny approbation. The culturally imperialist, selfish and self-serving ideology of "help" many seem to subscribe to in the more ignorant parts of the lower-midwest needs to be acknowledged for what it is--harassment,prejudice and bigotry that creates a hostile environment for thinking, sophisticated people. Remember, appreciation is in the eye of the beholder, and no one owes you gratitude for messing with them and ruining their day.

wordgenie8 5 years, 3 months ago

Go ahead and jump on the name-calling bandwagon, autie and Bob and all you other clever and cultured and perceptive LJWorld posters. Enlightenment by ignorance is what you all teach me, a truly scary and warped educational mission. Twisted justice must be the bliss you want.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Take a chair & have a biscuit, TOB. It might be a long day.

acg 5 years, 3 months ago

"I love me some crazy" TOB ROFL. Man that was hysterical!

spammer89 5 years, 3 months ago

The time I showed up for a service call and the dude aswered the door in full drag.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

"A loss of $10 in creampuffs and $2 in Sprite were reported to police. The break-in also caused $300 damage to the building..."

now THAT's scary. shudders

IrishCat 5 years, 3 months ago

My scariest moment was the night I spent with the Bears (no not the team) up in the mountains of Northern California, on my honeymoon no less. As soon as the sun went down and people started going into their tents, out come the bears. They were in the bathrooms flushing all the toilets, smashing double-lock coolers full of food into the rocks, opening up a case of pop-cans with one claw and drinking them. Worse of all, I could hear them sniffing my head right outside my tent only about three inches from me, I was TERRIFIED. What did my brave and valient new husband do? He snored. Snored so loudly that I kept smacking him and saying don't snore or the bears will hear you, don't snore or the bears will smell what you had for dinner and they'll come in the tent. His response? He snored some more. Finally after a night of terror, I heard a strange noise and I peaked out of the tent. There to my rescue was a tall dark and handsome park ranger riding a horse, and ringing a big cow bell so the bears would run away. I was so excited I woke my well-rested new husband up and said, "I know you won't believe this but there is a park ranger on a horse ringing a big cow bell!!"..The look he gave me could only mean one thing, "I love me some crazy" :o)

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Had a room mate hold a straight razor at my gut in '68. I was scared, but madder than scared. Kept pushing him backwards with gut against blade until he tripped over coffee table. He dropped the razor, I picked it up, told him to cool down or I would call the law. Found out he had a little recreational weed stash he didn't want found. He calmed down. Still friends forty years later. Oh, and I have a 1/2" scar next to my navel.

RoeDapple - - Cool under pressure (Or incredibly lucky and stupid)

And the straight razor got slammed in the door several times and broken into many pieces.

denak 5 years, 3 months ago

I was 8 or 9 years old and my friends and siblings snuck into Jaws. The opening sequence comes on, the girl gets eaten by Jaws, I scream bloody murder, throw my popcorn in the air and run crying out of the theater. The song, "Ride Like the Wind" was playing on the mall speakers, and for years, literally until I was in my 20s, every time that song came on, I would get goose-bumps. I hated that song and the association I had with it.

Dena

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Once upon a time, I was driving north from New Boston, TX on a two lane state highway. Middle of the night, all by myself, passing between empty bean fields, not a single light in sight. Something on the car's back seat bounced off the seat & onto the floor. For some reason, it sounded just like somebody had coughed right behind me. I dang near ripped out the seat belt when I tried to jump out of my skin.

George_Braziller 5 years, 3 months ago

Twenty years ago at the age of 28 when my doctor rushed me in for a bone scan because he thought I might have had bone cancer in my spine.

Bob Harvey 5 years, 3 months ago

Having some guys in black pajamas shooting at me.