Previous   Next

Do you ever send food back at a restaurant?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 26, 2009

Browse the archives

“Absolutely. If it’s not the food I ordered or there is something wrong with it, there is no reason not to.”

“I do if it comes with things I didn’t order on it, or asked to be left off, or if it’s cold or undercooked.”

“No, I do not, because I’m too embarrassed to.”

“Yes, I do, because some of the food has meat in it and I don’t know that.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

Ohhh, Ret! Last sloe gin I drank was in '65! Still choke thinking about it.....

Randall Barnes 5 years, 2 months ago

YEP SURE HAVE HAD TO SEND THE SAME ORDER BACK TWICE THE HASHBROWNS WERE STILL COLD AND SOGGY AND WAS NICE ABOUT IT BUT WAS STILL ASKED TO LEAVE ,CAUSE THE CHEF COULDNT GET IT RIGHT IT WAS MY FAULT

tanaumaga 5 years, 2 months ago

"I will have the curly fries with a buffalo burger...if the fries are not curly, I will send it back. If the burger is not a buffalo burger, I will also send it back."

flux 5 years, 2 months ago

Thats because you had been drinking and it was late.....Rando

kung_pao_chicken 5 years, 2 months ago

Corrina said, “Yes, I do, because some of the food has meat in it and I don’t know that.”

...but if she doesn't know that some of the food has meat in it, then how does she know that some of the food has meat in it. Better that you stay home, girl.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

"Wait a minute, raisins aren't supposed to have legs!"

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Have you ever seen the movie "Waiting"? Hell no would I ever send food back.

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Tony Kisner 5 years, 2 months ago

I have left a resturant before I even was seated. I asked the wrong thing and I could tell they were spitting on my food before I ordered.

The bartender above must never look behind the curtain.

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes, we have, when steak is undercooked or over cooked or cold. Hubby hates to, but I will.

parrothead8 5 years, 2 months ago

labmonkey (Anonymous) says… Something tells me that Corina is one of those militant vegatarians who will yell at you for eating meat.

Something tells me labmonkey is one of those gut-level reactionaries who will judge you for sounding silly. ;)

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

Apparently there's something wrong with me: I've never had to send food back. I try to avoid doing so unless it's absolutely necessary, and I can't recall a time it's been absolutely necessary.

I have complained about poor service, but only once.

staff04 5 years, 2 months ago

Any decent restaurant WANTS you to send food back if there is a mistake in its preparation. I'm not really talking about chains and buffets and the like, but good restaurants want to make everything just the way the guest wants it. If we don't send food back that isn't prepared correctly the restaurant has no way to learn from the mistake and make things right with the customer.

Oh, and don't lie about food allergies just because you don't like a certain ingredient, just ask for it to be left out if possible. They know you aren't allergic to garlic and are laughing at you for claiming you are.

acg 5 years, 2 months ago

Only meat that's undercooked. I can't have my steak bleeding and so many places want to serve it rare to med rare. I know how that's supposed to be how meat is cooked best, but uck, if it's laying in a pool of blood I can't handle it.

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

never send food back-especially to a kitchen in this town....when it comes back-chances are high that it has been 'tainted'

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm pretty tolerant, but I'll send stuff back if it's egregiously wrong. I do think about where I am before I do, though, and will just suck it up if I think sending it back will do more harm than good.

George_Braziller 5 years, 2 months ago

I have sent back a meal three times. All three were at Freestate Brewery --- the same night! First time they brought me something I hadn't ordered, second time the steak was colder than the silverware, third time it was warmer, but so tough I couldn't even cut it with a steak knife.

I finally gave up and told the waiter I'd just finish my salad and call it done. Went home and ate a cheese sandwich.

missmagoo 5 years, 2 months ago

the last three times I've been to Longhorn I've had to send my filet back. seriously.. medium well should not be bleeding!! i miss the good ol days of customer service where someone came over to your table and apologized or offered you something for the inconvenience. this last time the waiter said "oh wow, that looks more like med rare.. i'll see if he'll cook it more for you.." and he took my plate back and they put my steak on a new plate.. but completely scraped off my uneaten mashed potatoes!! everyone was done eating by the time my steak came back so i didn't bother asking for my potatoes. sheesh.

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

"And any place that takes back an undercooked steak, only to cook it some more and serve it to you again should be immediatly put on the do not attend list. Steak likes to be cooked once, and once only."

Had that happen on my last visit to Texas Roadhouse in Topeka. The previous visit I had to send one back for way too much fat. I'm not likely to go back again. Too bad, because they used to be pretty good.

snoozey 5 years, 2 months ago

How karmic - the last time I ate downtown I was served the wrong order - but it sounded pretty good when it came by and turned out to be quite tasty. Life is to short to waste time trying to control all - take a breath and learn to love the little surprises !

George_Braziller 5 years, 2 months ago

Little suprises can be fun, but when your order is screwed up three times in one evening (and it goes from bad to worse) there is a limit to how much "fun" you're willing to endure.

Eride 5 years, 2 months ago

"Defender (Anonymous) says… And any place that takes back an undercooked steak, only to cook it some more and serve it to you again should be immediatly put on the do not attend list. Steak likes to be cooked once, and once only."

My only question is how a steak can be undercooked? Following that is why anyone would go to a place like Longhorn for a steak when they can make one several times better at home?

maxcrabb 5 years, 2 months ago

About those who "never send food back because it will be messed with", get a pair. I've worked in many kitchens, and only the lowest of cooks with little self esteem and no sense of work ethic will mess with food. (so maybe i opened myself up on that one!) But seriously, I've never messed with some ones food. I've literally had eggs thrown at me, driven to the same house 3 times to bring the 'right' drink, cried as I microwaved the 'undercooked' prime rib (!), and never stooped so low as to seek revenge. It's my job, why bother? I'd rather show the customer that I can get it right, than to lower myself to passive aggressive protest.

sundancewierdo 5 years, 2 months ago

mom and pop joint in ottawa...
Fried chicken is on special... it was so horrible, we didn't bother to send it back. there couldn't possibly be anything else in that kitchen we would want to eat. someone insists that it shouldn't go to waste. we box it up, tear it off the bone, and put it in vito's dish. the dog wouldn't eat it! wanted nothing to do with it. needless to say we haven't been back...

Meatwad 5 years, 2 months ago

No. But I usually just won't go back to that restaurant and I'll warn other people to avoid it, or at least avoid that particular dish.

1029 5 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes if it doesn't taste as good as I imagined it would after seeing it on the menu.

BigPrune 5 years, 2 months ago

Doesn't the cook spit in your food if you send it back?

mekojo 5 years, 2 months ago

I have worked at several restaurants and I know what goes on beyond that door. I just ask them to take it away and that it tasted awful or wasn't what I ordered. I refuse another plate and tell them that I am fine. I finish my drink and they make an attempt again to replace the entree and I again refuse, then they usually remove the item from my ticket. I would rather eat something I know is good and at home. Cooks and waitstaff do know of the things that go on in the kitchen. It isn't a pretty thing.