Previous   Next

What is your favorite horror movie?

Asked at Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on October 23, 2009

Browse the archives

Scream,’ but I’m not a huge horror movie fan.”

The Birds,’ (starring) Tippi Hedren. I thought she was a babe.”

Freddy vs. Jason’ … I don’t like the new movies. They’re too fake.”

Halloween’ the original one. … The movie is all dark so you are literally scared ever time that Michael Myers comes out and tries to kill someone.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 10 months ago

"House of Wax" (1953). Charles Bronson played the part of Igor. At that time he was acting under the name of Charles Buchinsky.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

The one horror movie that I wish I hadn't seen was The Last House on the Left from 1972. Scarred for life I am.

kulinebacker 5 years, 10 months ago

the original Amityville Horror...that or Scooby Doo meets the Boo Brothers

grammaddy 5 years, 10 months ago

"Halloween", the first one, without all the gore. Then I'd have to say "The Excorcist" I saw that one when it first came out and I was just barely old enough to get in. I still can't sleep in an all dark empty house.

Deb Stavin 5 years, 10 months ago

"The Shining" All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

suzy 5 years, 10 months ago

The original Halloween and Hitchcock's Psycho. I couldn't shower for weeks after I saw that movie.

Matt Warman 5 years, 10 months ago

The original Halloween.
I've tried watching those Saw movies, but can't make it more then a few minutes. Yuck. Great one T_O_B!

Plurilingual 5 years, 10 months ago

“‘Freddy vs. Jason’ … I don’t like the new movies. They’re too fake.”

Really... REALLY??? Does 'Freddy vs. Jason' now qualify as an "old" move that is not "too fake"? REALLY?!?!?

monkey_c 5 years, 10 months ago

My fav is "The Shining" somehow my daughter got really hooked on "children of the corn" when she was about three. I have no recollection of how exactly she first viewed it, but I felt like a bad Mom that she always wanted to rent "Children of the Corn"

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 10 months ago

"Brainscan" is a good one.

The original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" creeped me out quite a bit.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 10 months ago

Or the Korean "Old Boy"....

Talk about scarred for life....

geekin_topekan 5 years, 10 months ago

Paranormal Activity!! Scariest movie ever!!

It made a grown man sleep with the light on.

oldvet 5 years, 10 months ago

fiction horror movies....

An Inconvenient Truth

followed closely by any movie made by Michael Moore

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

TOB is in rare form today. He must have had a buttery biscuit.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 10 months ago

Of course, some jackass had to make a political comment on this thread.

Charley Downey 5 years, 10 months ago

Return of the Living Dead!!! BRAAAAAIIINNNNNNSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

The original Psycho, probably. The book Shining was scary, the movie I always thought was a little too over the top. Silence of the Lambs was good. Not my favorite genre.

acg 5 years, 10 months ago

Freddy vs Jason is old? Wth? The Shining was pretty good. Even though it deviated from the book quite a bit, nothing Nicholasan does is bad. If we're going old school, Dial M for Murder. If we're talking great pop culture slasher flicks, the original Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street. I was a huge fan of the Hellraiser movies. For jump out and scare the crap out of you factor, I loved Curtains, Cat People and 1408. Best demon possession flick was of course, The Exorcist. Hostel and the Saw movies are just awful. They've taken everything great about a good horror movie and just ruined it for the sake of shock value. Ugh. Those movies disturbed me. Other great movies, Wrong Turn, Joyride and Hills Have Eyes. They were all just great, bad, predictable but shocking movies, to me.

Mary Darst 5 years, 10 months ago

We've already had this question. Or I am in that time warp with Autie.

John Hamm 5 years, 10 months ago

The original dark print release of Alien

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't like horror movies, so...all of them are my least favorites. Unless this category includes horrifically bad movies, in which case I'd have to consider movies like the second and third Matrix movies (second and third Matrices?). Not that I really liked them, but they were pretty horrifying.

luckyfrogfeet 5 years, 10 months ago

the first five minutes of the first high school musical...so scary i didn't see the rest.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

If you're willing to stretch the definition of horror movie, I'd say Army of Darkness is my favorite horror film. "Gimme some sugar, baby."

labyrinth 5 years, 10 months ago

Right on Roe.. House of Wax was my first; hear I laughed through the whole thing. If true, it was only so I didn't bawl my head off. I have been claustrophobic since, my kids are going to put a click on click off light in my coffin in case I need to get their attention to get me back out. l
Forgot, better ask for extra batteries, they never have paid a lot of attention to me, tee hee. whatever

Bob Forer 5 years, 10 months ago

"Black Christmas" (1974). My late aunt, Marion Waldman, played the role of alcoholic sorority house mother Mrs. MacHenry (her fake drunk swedish accent was classic)/ She bought it when a meat hook came swinging from the attic stairs and caught her in the midsection.

riverdrifter 5 years, 10 months ago

“The Haunting of Hill House” 1963 Version

Elrond nailed it for me.

Second place goes to The Shining.

gphawk89 5 years, 10 months ago

The Thing - 1982 - Kurt Russell

And of course The Shining.

Boosh 5 years, 10 months ago

The Spiral Staircase 1945 version. On a Dark and Stormy Night, 6 or 7 years old at the time. Watching with brother and babysitter when a loud knocking at the door scared the crap out of us. Was her dad with pizza :)