Previous   Next

Do you think medical marijuana should be made legal nationwide?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 20, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes. … If somebody is suffering from a disease, I think that they should do whatever is necessary to help them feel better.”

“No, because I think it’s something little kids can get a hold of if parents have it and they could get really sick.”

“Yes, patients should have rights over their own bodies. They are smoking (marijuana) anyway, so maybe it would be safer, and taxes from the sale could fund medical research.”

“Yes. I think that a lot of people could benefit from it, and it that’s true, why can’t they get it legally?”

Comments

Richard Heckler 5 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely.

Let people grow their own if they want. Others can purchase at the local store.

We need to save prison space for white collar criminals who ruin millions of lives. These criminal activities should not be tolerated yet are taken very lightly as some very big names should be going to jail.

1. The Reagan/ Bush Home Loan Scandal = lost jobs,lost retirement and lost medical insurance not to mention loss of homes! And a Wreckanomic economy. http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com

2. The Bush/Cheney Home Loan Scandal = lost jobs,lost retirement and lost medical insurance not to mention loss of homes! And a Wreckanomic economy. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archiv

3. What did Bush and Henry Paulson do with the bail out money? FRAUD! http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10

4. Why did the RINO’s Lie About Social Security? deception as first stage of social security theft http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archiv

White collar criminals are lurking about throughout the financial world: • ENRON • high tech scandal • Global Economy = millions upon millons of lost USA jobs • Iraq/Afghanistan Illegal Occupation = loss of good incomes • Maddoff ripoff • Book Cooking Scandal

Deregulating the financial industry was a disaster except for the white collar criminals.

Decriminalize marijuana - Let people grow their own.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

Thready McThreadjack is up early today!

appleaday 5 years, 8 months ago

Russell -- there are many prescription, legal drugs that can be lethal if children ingest them, such as heart medications and antidepressants, to name a few. If medical marijuana were legalized, prescribed, packaged, and sold it wouldn't be any different from any other controlled substance that doctors and nurse practitioners prescribe. And, Russell, alcohol is a far more dangerous substance for children to get into.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 8 months ago

do those folks still stand out on mass every friday or saturday w/ those "honk for hemp" signs?

Stuart Evans 5 years, 8 months ago

hey look the back half of my truck behind Mary's head!

marijuana should be legal for anyone over the age of 18. people are right though, there is a huge difference between marijuana and tobacco or alcohol. marijuana has never killed anyone.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 8 months ago

i felt the same way Original Bob. this poor indoctrinated fool. I would rather my kid get into my pot stash than someones' oxycodone stash any day.

Mary Darst 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm with Autie(haha) roll 'em up. Just think what the states could make on Taxes. The kids that will try it are already doing it. Just as well have some regulation.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

yes indeedy, i do. oh boy the big pharmy companies would have a cow; they wouldn't be as able to con people in to buying/using their manufactured pills and meds. someone close to me who was dying of cancer smoked the stuff; it so much relieved her pain&nausea, also gave her an appetite where there had been none.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

Sales of nachos & chocolate-chip cookies will go through the roof!

GardenMomma 5 years, 8 months ago

Beerguy, how do you sell food stamps nowadays? Aren't they on the card system? I suppose you could buy food and then exchange it for pot, but you can't trade actual "stamps" for food anymore.

Matt Warman 5 years, 8 months ago

Sweet. Just legalize it and tax it. Prostitution too.

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

You might be surprised how far the legalization of pot could go to free this country from a failing economy, remember what repealing prohibition did for the depression? Only 14 states in the entire country allow for medical marijuana. Big Pharm could be reigned in...just legalize it and tax it.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 8 months ago

A Manhattan man was arrested overnight on drug charges in a continuing investigation of the narcotics distribution in the area, the Riley County Police Department said.

The department executed a search warrant at 1531 Leavenworth Street at 12:01 a.m. Seth Anderson was arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of a school and for not having a Kansas drug tax stamp.

Anderson was being held in lieu of a $7,500 bond. And the war goes on.

wysiwyg69 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm suprised the government does not legalize pot for the simple reason that if we are all stoned, we will not care how fast they are taking this country down, kinda like a morphine drip. But roll em' if ya gottem'

tbaker 5 years, 8 months ago

The federal government has no business dictating to the states whether or not pot should be legal. This is (always has been) a 10th amendment matter that should be left up to the states to decide. As such, Kansas shouldn't waste resources chasing pot-heads, but people who manufacture and sell meth should be publicly hung.

Boosh 5 years, 8 months ago

marieann you mean alcohol don't you? Not pot, right?

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

"Look at what Pot, Meth, and all of the other dangerous drugs have done to our kids."

I'm looking! What are you talking about?

/real things, please //pot and meth, not the same, not by a longshot

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

Independent of the question:

I'm so tired of the "people already do it, so we should legalize it" line of thinking. That's not a good reason to legalize anything.

davidnta 5 years, 8 months ago

But if the "so many people already do it" phrase wasn't relevant, why aren't other things illegal, such as smoking or drinking alcohol?

labmonkey 5 years, 8 months ago

Okay...lets set something straight right now. Legalizing pot will not bring in huge tax profits. Why buy it legally when you can grow it in your home much cheaper (and don't you think your local drug dealer will charge you tax)? And I doubt the taxes received would be more than the fines received for being caught. And yes, marijuana does screw up kids. If you smoke it too much, you do become a paranoid ass the few times you are sober (I used to live with a couple potheads).

That being said, marijuana should be decriminalized. It is no worse than alcohol...and I imagine it would be used much less if it were legal. Our jails are too full with small time drug offenders.

lynnzy 5 years, 8 months ago

“Look at what Pot, Meth, and all of the other dangerous drugs have done to our kids.”

Marianne has been reading too much big pharma corporate propaganda. Marianne thinks drinking is just fine? I mean really, for someone who is so self righteous, you would think that she never drinks, or eats junk food or even uses prescription pills. Here she is passing out corporate judgment not founded in reality.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes it should because there is a lot of evidence that it makes you feel better or at least forget what the problem was. Hold on what was the question? Does Taco Bell deliver?

Corey Keizer 5 years, 8 months ago

We have to worry about Kid's getting in their parents Marijuana stash and getting sick.

But kid's getting in their parents Gun stash and killing themselves is OK.

denak 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm kind of on the fence on this issue. I don't think marijuana should be legalized for recreational use but I have seen some studies that show that marijuana decreases some behaviors such as pica in autistic children. And it does seem to work on people going through chemo and for glaucoma sufferers.

However, I do not believe that it should be sold anywhere besides a pharmacy. I think it should only be prescribed by a specific doctor (ie a oncologist) and not just a general practictioner. And I think it should be strictly controlled.

I do not think that legalizing medical marijuana should in any way be used to legalize marijuana or any other illicit drug for recreational purposes.

Dena

kmat 5 years, 8 months ago

Dena - but you are ok with cigs and booze being sold for recreational use?

Practicality 5 years, 8 months ago

"They commonly report that more than a quarter of their marijuana authorizations have been prompted by patients suffering from conditions like "anxiety" or "insomnia." (The most common complaint is "chronic pain.")

As a result, in most of California's coastal metropolitan areas, marijuana is effectively legal today. Any resident older than 18 who gets a note from a doctor can lawfully buy the stuff, and doctors seemingly eager to write such notes, typically in exchange for a $200 consultation fee, advertise in newspapers and on websites."

Medical Marijuana is a joke. Does it have some medicinal value for certain illnesses? Yes. Like patients who suffer from nausea after chemotherapy and to stimulate appetite in AIDS patients. Are there other medications that work as well, or better than smoking Marijuana? Yes. Do the vast majority of Medical Marijuana users have Cancer or Aids? NO!

As shown above in my paste from the aricle, Doctors advertise for $200 a Medical Marijuana Prescription!!! What other medication do doctors do that for? Anyone around here seen a Doctor advertise for a particular medication? "Come in today, and for $200 you can have a prescription for Oxycodone!" No, they do not. That is why it is a joke. Most people go to a doctor and tell them their symptoms and a doctor decides what type of medication is neccesary. This is not happening with Medical Marijuana. Psuedo patients are flocking to quack doctors who advertise a Medical Marijuana Prescription. This doesn't appear to be modern medical practice. Further, a doctor can not prescribe an approriate dose. As all Marijuana differs in the THC amount and you can not control the dosage by smoking or by how much is in the Marijuana. But, Marinol, in pill form, a doctor could control the dosage. The problem is, it is too hard and not much fun to smoke Marinol. That is why Medical Marijuana is a joke.

denak 5 years, 8 months ago

".... but you are ok with cigs and booze being sold for recreational use?.."

Not necessarily but the horse is already out of the barn on that one...we can't put it back in.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

"Lampooned as a crank, a lunatic, and a menopausal virago by her enemies, Carrie A. Nation was in reality a woman of sincere beliefs who considered her vigilantism thoroughly justified."

I'm sure she shares that with lots of people, such as the murderer of Dr. Tiller.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 8 months ago

autie, not the teletubbies! dude-- have you no shame?!

kmat 5 years, 8 months ago

denak (Anonymous) says…

“…. but you are ok with cigs and booze being sold for recreational use?..”

But how can you pick and chose what's going to be legal when many substances that cause a lot more harm than pot are legal and readily available? That's hypocritical.

Pot has never killed anyone. How many die from alcohol daily? If one is legal and causes many, many deaths, then how can you say pot should be illegal?

Pot is only illegal because of paper, oil and big pharma industries.

Remember, it used to be legal?

wtchdr46 5 years, 8 months ago

Be it forthwith and forevermore known that I support the full legalization of marijuana. I use it for medicinal use. I am a manic/depressive bipolar personality sufferer. I tried going the authorized pharmaecutical chemicals route, and at the end of two years of having no appetite, not eating because of it, and losing weight because of lack of intake, I found that I had went from 148 pounds down to 100 pounds. I was starving to death. At 148 pounds and 5' 8'' inches of height, I had no fat to lose. It was all muscle. The pharmaceutical rpute reduced my physicall condition to the point that I am now on Social Security disability. When the problem became apparent, I was working a job at 11.95 an hour, and smoking about 125 milligrams of marijuana per day, and had been doing so for 10 years. In the three years since I quit the legal method, I have regained 12 of the 48 pounds that I lost. I am 63 years old, so it is very unlikely that I will ever recover my former state of health. I do believe that marijuana should be legalized and taxed at the rate of 1.00 per ounce. Any tax rate that is higher than that will only serve to encourage the black market sales and therefore perpetuate the current problem. I guarantee you that I will make no further attempt at switching to the pharmaceutical method. By the way, I recently had to pay a 1200 misdemeanor bond ( fine) in the state of Arkansas for posession. All this did was increase my medical expenses for this year.

tbaker 5 years, 8 months ago

The amount of social ill created by substance abuse in a society is largely not effected by whether or not the "substance" is legal, or how much law enforcement is devoted to it. (unless you are in Singapore where drug users are all hung) Government solutions to substance abuse have always had very little real impact on the problem - but they do play well during campaigns.

What does have a very pronounced effect on mitigating a society's substance abuse problems is sound parenting and "real" education for the young. Government should be promoting healthy nuclear families and genuine (vice relativist) education instead of pouring money down a rat hole on pot heads.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 8 months ago

Legalizing would actually keep more pot out of kids hands. You don't see liquor store owners pushing booze at playgrounds. If you license the dealers and make them card purchasers, that will do a lot. I know, your older brother bought you beer. Well, we'll deal with that as it comes. It's a start.

Frightwig 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm all for it, as long as it can be manufactured in a way where it will no longer cause a user to get buzzed or high, but still obtains the medicinal benefits of THC. There are benefits to medical marijuana, but it is not necessary for a person to get high in order reap those benefits. Plus, this would be safer in case any children ingest their parent's medication. Perhaps it can be made available in pill form with the buzz factor stripped out of it instead of cigarette form. Proponents for the legalization of marijuana say they need it for medical purposes rather than to simply "get high", so there should be no cause for objection. Additionally, if a cancer patient needs marijuana to help deal with the effects of chemotherapy, it seems counterproductive for him to fill his lungs with smoke, since smoking causes cancer. He would be much better off with a pill than a cigarette. So, yes, medical marijuana should definitely be made available!

Practicality 5 years, 8 months ago

Riiiiight Cappy, because there is hardly any cases of minors drinking alcohol is there? Greaaat Logic!

I am in agreement with Frightwig, of course that would eliminate almost all of the people wanting Medical Marijuana. Of course, those people don't really need it anyway.

Frightwig's proposal is the likely outcome of all of this. They already have Marinol, a Synthetic Marijuana, in pill form. Currently there are two other companies working on it as well. Soon, the medicinal proprieties of THC will be able to be had in a non-hallucingenic pill form with many varieties for a doctor to choose to prescribe. Enjoy it while it lasts pot-heads!

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

Jeez, Practicality, you really are just terrified, aren't you? Why are you so afraid?

"Proponents for the legalization of marijuana say they need it for medical purposes rather than to simply “get high”, so there should be no cause for objection."

This is bunk. Proponents for the legalization of marijuana for medical uses say that. Most proponents for the legalization of marijuana point to the variety of other hypocrisies, inconsistencies, stupidities, and ignorance born out of fear fear fear fear fear FEAR revolving around the subject, and the many other tangible benefits (hemp, lower prison-count, tax revenue) that this would ostensibly provide, not to mention the ever-inconsistently applied rationale of liberty.

Practicality 5 years, 8 months ago

Ah yes jonas, the ol' liberty rationale. "Don't tell me what I can do with my body" and then "Pay for my healthcare" Smell Hypocritical to you? Your tangible benefits list are not based on anything other than wishful thinking.

JoRight 5 years, 8 months ago

Medical or not, it should be legal. . .just like all the other substances available either at a liquor store, over the counter or prescribed.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Aw, go ahead and legalize it. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, thought as a child, and reasoned as a child. Now that I have the online forums, I no longer am in need of an executive function.

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 8 months ago

Cigarettes & Alcohol combined kill over 500K people a year.

Taxes on the product would generate HUGE revenue. I don't think that many people really understand how many casual & habitual marijuana users there are in the US.

1/8 oz of quality marijuana costs 50-60 dollars in this part of Kansas which is standard across the mid-west. If marijuana were legalized the cost for this amount of marijuana would be cut in half or even more. Any marijuana user today would gladly pay 25-30 dollars for the same amount they buy on the street. This would leave a large profit margin. Enough for it to be taxed up to 30-40%. It keeps the "pot head", the business, and taxing entity very happy.

Health risks? Emphysema. Or the mary jane could be baked into a variety of foods. THC (the active ingredient) is fat soluble so it will fit nicely with all the crap that we eat anyway. Eating the marijuana eliminates 100% of the harmful smoke.

Buying marijuana is extremely easy for anyone under the age of 18. You have a kid in high school? It's there. It's everywhere.

Don't think marijuana has contributed to your life? Throw that Beatles album in the trash. In fact you can throw out almost any piece of art, music, film, literature, and any other creative medium you can think of. You can't have it both ways.

Another important thing to consider is the difference between marijuana and hemp. Hemp is made from the fiber of the marijuana plant and is in no way smokeable. You can't get high off of hemp.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

Practicality (Anonymous) says…

"Ah yes jonas, the ol' liberty rationale. “Don't tell me what I can do with my body” and then “Pay for my healthcare” Smell Hypocritical to you?"

No, that smells like you, again (and again and again) just making up or cherry-picking facts and positions to hold desperately onto the idea that you are approaching this issue with any degree of rationality. I have no need for nationalized health care, as my insurance is pretty good, as is my wifes. I'm rather on the fence on the subject.

By the way, on the subject of cherry-picking. When you did a google search to find that article on the evils of overly-prescribed medical marijuana, why did you just post the one article, and not post this one?

"Your tangible benefits list are not based on anything other than wishful thinking."

Ok, right. I guess all I'd have to support it would be those fake studies conducted by potheads who just want to smoke weed, after all. After all, that's all this is about.

Again, what are you afraid of? Carrie A. Nation's biography makes her motivations obvious, she had crappy taste in men, and blamed booze as the best culprit to scapegoat. What is it with you?

Richard Heckler 5 years, 8 months ago

Heroin and Cocaine are legal medical drugs why not marijuana?

parrothead8 5 years, 8 months ago

labmonkey, I have to disagree when you say "Why buy it legally when you can grow it in your home much cheaper (and don't you think your local drug dealer will charge you tax)?"

Of course people would rather buy it than grow it themselves. We live in a lazy, convenience-based society...most people would rather buy fruits and veggies at the store than grow their own, most people would rather drive a mile than walk it, most people would rather see the movie than read the book...whatever's easier.

American farmers alone grow around $40-50B worth of marijuana each year. I'm sure much more than that comes in via the south border. That's a massive cash crop that will grow exponentially if it becomes legal. Tax it.

D0PEYY4LIFE 5 years, 8 months ago

WOW! are you serious people...half the people that are saying no dont legalize it probably drink. So if we were to make alcohol illegal would that be okay? Is it okay for a kid to get ahold of a bottle of sum liquor? No. You think that kid would survive? Not a chance. But now if a kid ate a bud or however much of sum chron's (that good stuff) they are NOT gonna die. They just gonna get real hungryyy!

I've seen MANNNY drunk people do sum really drunk things and when drinking LIQUOR you do stupid ass stuff. but now i know ALOT of people that smoke MARIJUANA and they all were beginners at one time.... and they dont do stupid stuff.

like im pretty sure that the people who dont think that it should be legalized have NEVER even tried it and just assume things... eat a brownie and just chill!!!!

Gadfly 5 years, 4 months ago

Who here is claiming the present government policy is working? (drug dealers & cops must be exempted from this question due to their conflict of interest and profiteering)