Previous   Next

Do you ever read checkout-stand tabloids?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on October 16, 2009

Browse the archives

“I do not because I think that they are pretty worthless.”

“No, I just don’t have time for it. I’m not interested.”

“No, I don’t. … I don’t know if they’re truthful or not. I tend to read more of the cooking-type magazines.”

“No, and I consider it a waste of paper.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Not since the one about the two headed girl lopping one off... about 30 years ago

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

Ever since the Weekly World News went online-only some of the magic has gone out of my life.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

"Pregnant Mom Knocks out Boxing Kangaroo at Circus" Greatest tab headline I ever saw.....

Kyle Neuer 5 years, 6 months ago

Loved that Weekly World News.

Gotta get my BatBoy and alien updates online, now.

1029 5 years, 6 months ago

I wish I could remember the headline....but it was a picture of a german shepard's head photoshopped onto the body of some guy in a space suit, peering around the side of a building and holding some sort of ray gun. ....Something about dogmen from space coming here on some sort of mission.

That was about as close as I ever came to reading anything other than the cover.

make_a_difference 5 years, 6 months ago

No, I do not.

I believe my (then) 7 year old daughter said it best during a trip through checkout..."Just a minute Mom, I want to read the lies".

BorderRat 5 years, 6 months ago

Radio, I agree on the Bat Boy. Lost track of him when he joined the Army to hunt terrorists.

Boosh 5 years, 6 months ago

No, I keep an eagle eye on the cashier ta make sure they ain't ripping me off. Then I give em my coopuns and make sure they get em all. Then I starts ta rite my check, then I ask what the name of the store is then the date. Then I wait for that sneaky cashier to ask for my ID so I can get it out. Then I record my check in my ledger...hey stop looking at me like that...

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 6 months ago

my mom actually buys alot of those and she passes them on to me. so yes, virginia, i do read them. i don't buy them but i read them.

Stephen Roberts 5 years, 6 months ago

honeychild- any news media that blindly supports one side is considered a tabloid to me, so Obama's followers are tabloids to me in addition to FOX news

parrothead8 5 years, 6 months ago

Is there some sort of stigma associated with admitting you look at tabloids? There must be, because anyone who says they don't even look at them while in line at the grocery store is lying.

Seriously. In our crazy, hustle-and-bustle lives, the headlines we see as we're putting our groceries on the humming conveyor belt provide some much-needed comic relief.

And for once, it doesn't matter if you're conservative or liberal...that stuff is just funny.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

The good stuff, yeah. Bat Boy, and Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden's discreet love child that is part werewolf, that sort of stuff. Paparazzi crap about celebs, deeming them "too fat" (read -- 120lbs) and all that @#$%, not so much.