Previous   Next

Will you get any type of flu shot this season?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 13, 2009

Browse the archives

“I’m getting the seasonal flu vaccine, and (my daughter) has already had it.”

“Yeah, probably just because everyone has been sick, and I can’t afford to get sick. It’s better safe than sorry.”

“No, I think that after reading about the H1N1 flu, it’s really only affecting a small minority of people. And the symptoms that you get I’ve had since I was a kid.”

“I already had the season flu shot. I went to the doctor because I hurt my knee, and when I went they gave me the shot. It was more out of convenience because I was already there.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

Will this shot guarantee no flu?

No way jose'

Can this vaccine possibly cause what is trying to be prevented? You bet.

In addition to the vaccine keep the immune system strong with more fruits,veggies, whole food multi-vitamins,Vitamin C , exercise,rest and drink plenty of water.

canyon_wren 5 years, 2 months ago

As RodeApple says "never have, probably never will."

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 2 months ago

Is Burcham Park a trade route? I walked there yesterday and now I am scared.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

Be scared, Boston, be very scared. Your constant interaction with SCAT will invariably put you at high risk for contact with all types of animal human flu types. I suppose you touch bird SCAT as well.

spammer89 5 years, 2 months ago

Nope, cause you never know what type of goverment test they are running on you.

Matt Warman 5 years, 2 months ago

No, not a chance. I will, however, keep enough bourbon in me to kill any virus.

thewayitis 5 years, 2 months ago

I do not want the government tracking system injected into my body just yet.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

ALready got the seasonal flu shot. My arm is slowly becoming a tentacle now. Is that one of the normal side effects?

acg 5 years, 2 months ago

No way Jose. I'm not deluded enuff in thinking the gov't is putting any microchips in the shots, but I don't trust the drug companies or the gov't to not be incompetent. To me it's akin to that scene in Up in Smoke. "Here, take this!" "Wait, don't take those, man..." "What? I already took it!!" My hubby and I play this little guessing game, every time we hear a new drug commercial we guess how long it'll take before we hear the class action lawsuit commercials regarding that fabulous new drug. LOL

Rae Hudspeth 5 years, 2 months ago

Merrill.. it's good to boost your intake of D3, it's cheap and it's been found to promote immunity to the influenza and other virii.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm going to get the same flu shot I get every year: no flu shot.

Ryan Neuhofel 5 years, 2 months ago

Merrill says, "Can this vaccine possibly cause what is trying to be prevented? You bet."

For being such a strong activist of health care reform, you are not very uninformed about actual health care or medicine. As a physician, I must correct public misperceptions about these flu and vaccine issues on a daily basis - mostly propagated by non-medical people.

For anyone who cares about the true science . . . .

The "Flu-Mist" nasal spray vaccine does contain a live virus, but it has been attenuated (weakened) so that it canNOT cause an actual disseminated influeza infection. The virus replicates in the nasal passage but cannot survive outside that cold environment, so many people do get mild 'cold-like' symptoms. People who are very young/old or sick should avoid this type of vaccine as they may have 'stronger' reaction.

However, I do recoginize the risks associated with any vaccine (re: adverse reactions to swine flu vaccine in 70s) I am not for mandating anyone recieve an injection of anything without informed consent, but we should make our decisions with factual information.

Kat Christian 5 years, 2 months ago

Good grief!! Never knew so much paranoia. Are you all stoned? I'm more afraid of people like you than getting the flu shot. If people of this country are losing faith in our government, what do you think other powers will do to us? That sort of attitude is just handing this country over to them. What ever happened to defending her, our flag, our reputation? A lot of men in my family fought for this country and I'll be darn if I'll give it up that easily whether I agree with our government's decisions & behavior or not. That is called Faith, patriotism. I do not think our goverment is out to do us in. They'd be a fool. We are this country, good, bad and the evil. And they are everywhere. Who cares if the government is watching us, I have nothing to hide - do you? As long as I can live a normal life, survive with a roof over my head and food in my cupboards and a little money in the bank to get me by they can put a camera in my toilet, for all I care. Someone is always watching us anyway whether it be your boss, co-worker, neighbor, store clerk, passerby or a long gone spirit attached to you. You are never really alone. So why the paranoid? Geeech people!!

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

I have already had a flu shot and I haven't noticed any side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects side effects : )

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

sunshine_noise (Anonymous) says…

"Good grief!! Never knew so much paranoia. Are you all stoned? I'm more afraid of people like you than getting the flu shot. If people of this country are losing faith in our government, what do you think other powers will do to us? That sort of attitude is just handing this country over to them."

nope sunshine, that was done in November, thank you very much!

riverdrifter 5 years, 2 months ago

Got the seasonal, will get H1N1. Sure, there's no guarantee that they'll work, but waay better than nothing. It's a drag to be sick during hunting season.

gr 5 years, 2 months ago

"It’s better safe than sorry.”

Umm, that's assuming that the vaccine would work.

Is there any study, any scientific evidence that any flu vaccine has ever worked in the past?

And by scientific, I don't mean, "Well, not many got it such-and-such year so it must have worked." believe-it-without-thinking type of mentality.

Sunshine: keep believing the government has your best interest at heart and you will enable all kinds of "good" things.

"Who cares if the government is watching us, I have nothing to hide - do you?"

How much do you weigh? How often do you have a bowel movement? Why do dogs get upset when you persistently follow them around?

gr 5 years, 2 months ago

"The traditional flu shot contains dead viral particles, so there is zero chance of infection."

hofel, Are viruses living organisms?

Ryan Neuhofel 5 years, 2 months ago

gr, Techincally, according to the biological definition of life, viruses are not living organisms because they cannot survive or replicate outside a host cell. However, the medical community (doctors, pharmacy) commonly use this terminology to distinguish between the two types of flu vaccine -dead (viral capsular proteins incapable of replication) and live (whole virus structures capable of replicating but with altered functionality or decreased virulence).

I hope that wasn't a sarcastic, gotcha or rhetorical question!

domino 5 years, 2 months ago

I know that flu shots as well as other vaccines are not supposed to cause whatever you are being vaccinated against. However, I do think that if you have any of the virus in your system when you do get the shot, it can cause it to be way worse than it would have otherwise. I got a flu shot 1 time and 1 time only. They tell you to not get the vaccine if you feel like you are coming down with something. I felt fine prior to getting the flu shot but within a week I was sicker than I have ever been with the flu. I'm not saying I think the vaccine gave me the flu, but I am guessing I might have had the virus in my system and might have come down with a mild case. Instead, I was in bed for several days. That was probably 8 - 10 years ago and I have never had a flu shot since and very probably never will. Neither have I missed a day of work since due to the flu!

It is a different story for the elderly, children and those with depressed immune systems. Guess I'm just glad I'm not in one of those catagories!

Ryan Neuhofel 5 years, 2 months ago

Domino, your story is a common one and there are several explinations...

1 - the flu vaccine "coverage rate" varies widely in any given year. It is basically a best prediction of which flu strains will make it to our country. 50-90% of the time we get it right.

2 - it takes 10-14 days to develop a full immne response to the vaccine. So there is a window of vulnerability.

3 - other types of viruses can cause flu-like illness

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

swine flu over the cuckoo's nest.

be afraid....be very afraid

And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder: One of the four beasts saying: "Come and see." And I saw. And behold, a white horse. There's a man goin' 'round takin' names. An' he decides who to free and who to blame. Everybody won't be treated all the same. There'll be a golden ladder reaching down. When the swine flu comes around...

Kat Christian 5 years, 2 months ago

gr: I'm about 40 lbs overweight, never kept a schedule of my BMs and I don't follow my dog he follows me around. Does that appease your curiousity? Hope that just made your day too.