Previous   Next

If you could write a book, what would it be about?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on October 12, 2009

Browse the archives

“If I had the background, I’d like to write a historical fiction based on Native American culture.”

“It would be about the African-American history of Lawrence, Kansas, focusing on families.”

“It would be about fairies and the make-believe realm for children, mainly girls. ”

“I would write about the separation that my husband and I are going through while he serves in Iraq — the pain, the joy, the absence, the love.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

I'd write about how the owls are not what they seem.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

It would, theoretically speaking, be the story of a young girl named Sarah Kensington who loses her father (a man with many problems). At the beginning of the book, her grandfather before he dies gives her a strange key but doesn't tell her what it's for. When she's 10, coping with a broken but rebuilding family she finds the box for the key, containing an amulet inside that takes her to a mytic world named Alkalagon. There, the king (that turns out to be her grandfather), his court and his land and power have been frozen into marble statues, by the power of the Kuroken, a dark force that has invaded their world. The king, through images and dreams, enlists her help to turn the curse and gives her a giant magical sword, that no longer has power, and that she can't even lift, that supposedly holds the key to salvation, and she is charged to find the remnant of the good magic in the land that can battle the evil. With the aid of a golden animal companion, she flees the king's castle with the minions of the Kuroken in pursuit, no clue where she must go or what she must do, and escapes into a new world for her to save.

Theoretically speaking.

MissinLawrence 5 years, 2 months ago

ah good one autie....i would like to write a book about the history of sunglasses ( i hope this hasnt been done! haha)

Matt Warman 5 years, 2 months ago

I am going to write a book about how my wife wants to go to new York and apply for a job on the Late Show, with David Letterman, for some reason.

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

I would write about my family's history and the search for my grandmother's real dad.

Boosh 5 years, 2 months ago

It would be about sex. So the Topeka Shawnee County Public Library could put it on the shelf to tick people off :)

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

I think sunglasses designers are reaching the physical limits of how big sunglasses can be while still remaining on the wearer's nose.

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

I'd write a book forecasting the weather for the next 20 years, day by day.

or maybe something about french fries instead.

passionatelibra 5 years, 2 months ago

I would write a book about my cousin who is/was a serial killer.

denak 5 years, 2 months ago

I would write a book about how hard it is to get my book published and how this caused me to sink into depression and spiral downward into a life of sex and drugs. However, in the end, my book would end up getting published, spend numerous weeks as number 1 and end with me on Oprah talking about my journey of self-discovery and acceptance.

Dena

Shane Garrett 5 years, 2 months ago

I would write a book about all the mad cap mis-adventures of the acting crew on Pywackets "hit" tv show called the "Cuzins of Kansas City". Whee doggies!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

So, Roe, are the books going to be available in a set with leather bindings, red ribbon bookmarks, and the covers illustrated with appropriate paintings by Dali? I would write a book about the history of the possum in Kansas and how much they have contributed, but have got scant praise or recognition for their efforts. It would be a modest twelve book collection wth color plates that I created on PhotoShop.

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

i wuz thinkin more like paperback with accompanying box of crayons....

x-D

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

It would be about 220 pages long.

Or, it would be about a lady who was quietly going about her business as governor of Alaska, when suddenly, an ancient and evil wizard selects her for national attention so she could become the punchline to literally half of all jokes told during the course of a year. She is so unhappy by this development that she quits her governor post and is never heard from again. The end. I'll call it "Mavericked."

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

Mine would be a book about what you should never write a book about. Thanks for all the material fellow LJWorld bloggers : )

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

From what I hear about their guidance system they couldn't hit the ocean if they dropped the missiles overboard!

(no i didnt heer that dont be throwin no rocks at me)

1derer 5 years, 2 months ago

I once set out to write a historical novel about how many Frenchmen it would take to defend their country from foreign invaders. I ran into several dead ends before I realized that no data exists because they have never tried it.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

So, Kim Jong Il's desparate and Quixotic plea for face continues.

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

I could write a book about a shockingly pale, doughy looking racist loser in terrible need of some sun who posts comments from his mom's basement where he still lives even though he is likely in his late 30s by now. He has to come up with a new log-on name every two weeks or so after he gets disreappeardeded time after time for writing stupid and racist comments again and again. He is so transparent and his posts so shallow that virtually everyone can spot him almost instantly each time he reappears. As the saying goes, you can't teach a stupid dog any tricks at all.

I'd call it "Flushed Again: The Invictus Story, as told by TheGreatSantini or any of his many other names."

It would be a terribly dull read and I'm sure nobody would buy it. Eventually they would destroy all copies and, like his posts, there would be no record of it having existed.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

"I wish I could stop posting on this stupid site. It is like a bad soap opera. It is like the Sopranos. It was fun at first, but now it is just stupid……."

Maybe we should make a 12 step program.

Katara 5 years, 2 months ago

I'd write about an lonely old man who is so desperate for human contact that he reaches out to strangers in places he does not live. In a strange turn of events, he makes the friendship of a young Muslim boy.

In the end, the boy turned young man confesses to the old man, who is dying of cirrhosis and is on his death bed, that he was really a secret Jihadist sent to bring death to the old man infidel but could not bear to do so as he saw how pathetic the old man's fears about the world were and pitied him.

The young man tells the old man he has learned a valuable lesson from the old man's fear and will devote his life to encouraging friendship and cultural understanding around the world in the old man's name.

The end.

Bill Lee 5 years, 2 months ago

I'd write a second editon of my 1999 book about old Kansas rock bands, and I'd finish the other three books I'm working on in the series (later Kansas rock bands, Kansas country music and an illustrated discography of Kansas City jazz). I spend so much time doing research that I don't have time to write.