Previous   Next

Have you turned on your furnace yet?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on October 6, 2009

Browse the archives

“No I have not, it’s not bad enough yet.”

“No. We’ve got a fireplace we fire up first.”

“Yes, I have 2-year-old twin daughters and their room is the coldest room in the house.”

“I have, last week sometime. We had frost out at my house (in the country).”

Comments

imastinker 5 years, 2 months ago

Not until the kids complain enough to get me to spend the money.

I am enjoying the new windows that open and close. The house warms up during the day and stays warm at night. You guys paid for 30% of them.

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

I tried to. I took my furnace to paisano's, bought the most expensive wine-gazed into her silky burners and said; "baby, you are the one for me, I am so attracted to you and you are making me so hot." The furnace just sat there. we went home and i pulled out all of the stops, but to no avail. as usual, I was standing there naked, and the furnace was already in bed, pretending to be asleep-sold as ever. oh woes me, how to I turn you on?

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

I lit the pilot last week and flipped the thermostat over to winter programming. It doesn't come on often, but it will come on. I've already had to use my wool coat and gloves once, and wish I'd had a hat, scarf, or earmuffs on at the time.

coolmom 5 years, 2 months ago

not yet i have windows open and the kids are not begging for heat yet although i did fire up the fireplace for a bit a couple night ago just to watch it after the youngsters finally went to bed.

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

Interesting that 50% of the people who shop at Checkers do not work. As for the heat, I waited last year to turn it on only to find that in my time of need, I was SOL as the furnace was broken.

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Wife started begging....but have not turned it on. We just bought a house this summer and the heater is like 20 years old. I am not looking forward to gas bills this winter. Our fireplace still needs work function (which I need to get done since I have 3 chords of wood in the back yard).

Kirk Larson 5 years, 2 months ago

I still have a window open. Furnace won't be on for weeks yet. And then only at 65. And I'll vent the dryer into the house. And wear sweaters. Jimmy Carter was right all along!

countrygirl 5 years, 2 months ago

Ours went on the morning our thermometer dropped down to 35. It was dang chilly getting around for work/school that morning. It's turned down, but it will run a little on cold nights. Much easier to get the kiddo out of bed if the house isn't a meat locker.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Seriously, I still have the AC on at night.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

All those people in the photos look cold to me....

Boosh 5 years, 2 months ago

"eddies in the space/time continuum" D. Adams

Boosh 5 years, 2 months ago

Nobody likes to turn on their furnace. Nobody. The other heaters hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you turn it on because your father wants you to. Then you do it to get the girls. Then you keep the furnace on for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch the furnace, and that's fun. But nobody likes to turn on their furnace. Nobody.

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

R_I is feeling rather saucy this morning,

alm77 5 years, 2 months ago

We put a fire in the fireplace on Saturday night. It was too soon. I don't see our heater coming on for a while. We've all got very heavy blankets at night (when the thermostat is set down to like 66 anyway) and our southeast facing windows warm the place up quick.

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

I woke up one morning and it was 63° in the house. That's what did it for me.

Boosh 5 years, 2 months ago

puddleglum & Pywacket

Neck and Neck

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

We close the windows at night and use what they used to call a blanket..... Won't turn on the heater until the daily temperatures are significantly and continuously lower.....

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

can anybody help me with this whole 'g-spot' thing? i tried changing the filter and looked in there, but no response. maybe its the fuse.

ms_canada 5 years, 2 months ago

We never turn it off. Even in summer, we have a thermostat. Don't you all? But we are needing the heat right now, for the past week in fact. Frost on the truck nearly every morning. I would guess what you all save on heat you spend on air. We may get about four days each summer when air would sure be great, but otherwise, we manage without.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

not yet. holding out as long as i can w/out having to do that.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

i wonder why every post i read by mom of 3 smacks of sarcasm?

i will admit that, in this case, i do agree w/ her. use a heavier blanket, wear a hoodie around the house, eat soup or drink hot chocolate. until it gets downright chilly consistently, it isn't worth firing up the ol' furnace as far as i'm concerned.

dajudge 5 years, 2 months ago

Still running the A/C. It's been in the 70's here in Lawrence. I like it down in the 60's. And we keep the fans running to help cool off, too.

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

mrs puddle is gone, that's why I'm working my magic on the furnace. what a gas!

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm not disrobing to shower if I can see my breath. Ain't happening. Both of my parents said, "Wait until you pay the gas bill." I pay the gas bill now. I'm staying warm. OTOH, I use very little air conditioning.

ralphralph 5 years, 2 months ago

Just in the early AM, due to our leaky old house, which has dropped into the 50s in the predawn hours. Kinda chilly in the shower. Takes about 5 or 10 minutes to knock the chill off, then it goes off for the day.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

i don't know about y'all but i'd opt for being a LITTLE too cold pretty much ANY day than being a little too WARM. maybe because the too warm is more uncomfortable for me and it is sleep-inducing.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 2 months ago

Cant afford to turn it on yet. My taxes are too high, I have to contribute to the ones that say they 'can't work' or 'cant find a job', or who say they 'need' disability when they don't.

Too busy taking care of the rest of the world who 'need' food stamps, housing, medical insurance, and all the other help.

Too bad I can't just be responsible for myself...I would be doing rather well!

Paul Decelles 5 years, 2 months ago

Furnace on? My house is well insulated and has a good passive southern exposure so there is no need to turn the furnace on until the end of October at the earliest unless we get a bout of raw rainy weather.