Previous   Next

Are you more concerned about your personal safety during the holiday season?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 24, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, whenever there are more people about, I think more about my safety and personal belongings.”

“The amount of people driving does impend a certain doom, but otherwise in Lawrence I feel free anytime to be out and about.”

“Not in Lawrence. … This is a pretty safe town.”

“No. … I don’t really have anything for anybody to steal.”

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

autie, That is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

remember_username 4 years, 4 months ago

There's alot to worry about this time of year. Consider Santa - now there's a stalker for you.

"He sees you when you're sleeping He knows when you're awake He knows if you've been bad or good"

That guy freaks me out!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 4 months ago

Have you noticed all the friendly "diversity" in Lawrence?

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

R_I, TOB, all those miles whether highway or not ain't so bad just as long as you've kept your oil changed on a regular basis. And keep those actions oiled up so they don't get rusty neither.

solsken66 4 years, 4 months ago

Women need to keep their purses on them, not in the cart while shopping two feet away. Always amazed how many women leave their purses unattended. One could just reach inside and take the billfold. The victim would be clueless until it was time to pay.

Thing 4 years, 4 months ago

Not for myself, but I worry about my wife. I try to be the one that fills up the vehicles because of the car jackings and robberies, not to mention the purse snatchings that go on during the holidays. Yes I do carry, but situational awareness is more important than just being armed. You can avoid a lot of trouble if you can spot the symptoms early on and avoid them alltogether.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

I just seem to run across those a couple of nights before they fall into play on here. I saw the 'it's peanut butter and jelly time family guy one' literally, 5 hours before the OTS came up "What's your fave PB& J". Happens to me all the time or just random places I happen to be at and I have a very good memory for where I saw things and retrieval. The Ex Lion Tamer of course, I didn't have to go back to the exact one..because it's Banksy. And he's everywhere. ;)

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

yankee, was that sung to the tune of Jingle Bells by chance?

yankeevet 4 years, 4 months ago

My friend GLOCK is near................so their is no fear..........during this time of year..........

gphawk89 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm more concerned about my personal safety ALL the time. My family's safety, actually. I don't understand how one can NOT be concerned. Nothing crazy like arsenals, bomb shelters, and chem warfare suits. but at least keeping a few days' worth of emergency food and water, locking the doors every night, being aware of surroundings, etc. Remington 870 - got one of those. All black, short barrel, magazine extension, Surefire light. Scary looking thing - but that's the whole idea.

OTSSweeper 4 years, 4 months ago

How about your cane old man, do you have a picture of it?

Marion Lynn 4 years, 4 months ago

"Machine gun leanin' by the bedroom door."

Not a Rottweiller but he'll do 'til something better comes along...................

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

gone

unnoticed

Marion Lynn 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't worry.................

"Rottweiller Blues"

Written by Warren Zevon and Carl Hiaasen 1995 Zevon Music BMI

Got a Glock in the bedside table Machine gun leaning by the bedroom door Kevlar vest in the closet Well, I wear it when I go to the store

Shadows on the window Rustling in the hedge Faces at the peephole Footsteps on the ledge

If you come calling He'll be mauling with intent to maim Don't knock on my door If you don't know my Rottweiler's name

Halogen lights in the driveway Guardian Angels living next door One hundred pounds of unfriendly persuasion Sleeping on the Florida porch

Slackers in the market Bangers in the mall Skinheads on the golf course Hunting for their balls

Well, he's dreaming about an intruder or two And the promise of burglar blood He's yearning to chew on a gangster tattoo And to hear the proverbial sickening thud

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

All highway miles, T_O_B, all highway miles.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

"Dang T_O_B, Thats modern hardware in my book, I'm still using the savage 124c my father gave me when I was 12, it was 30 years old when I got it. Plastic stock and straight pull bolt and all." RI

Well, it was more of a, "Damn, that was a long time ago" moment. I don't have the mileage you do.

prospector 4 years, 4 months ago

Autie, I know which side of the wire you will be on. You are right, I never knew you to be a luller.

somedude20 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to get the swineflu so that people will fear and stay away from me ( get away or I will cough). I am going to start a business that makes bullets coated in the swineflu for extra killing power ( not only have you been shot, but you have a 93.7% chance of getting swineflu now).

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm going down to the Jayhawk Pawn Gun Expo dec. 4th & 5th and get some good deals on handguns. They are a good way to protect me & my family. The staff down there are nice.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

I've tied a sprig of holly to the helmet of my containment suit. That's as festive as I'm getting this year.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

I got a Wingmaster for my 16th birthday. Damn. Since I put it that way, that is an old gun.

Re: Girlfriend... He was on something the other day. One of the blogs maybe.

oldvet 4 years, 4 months ago

Kinda hard to carry that one concealed, autie! My 1911-A1 works very well...

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of which, I haven't notice girlfriend in awhile..maybe I just ain't been on the right threads.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

uh,,yeah, I checked. Mine is the Remington Express 870, not a Wingmaster. Wingmaster is more the cadillac grade for that model. I have the ford pickup style.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't think it is a true Wingmaster, but a basic 870, 3 inch magnum..I refer to as my K-Mart gun. Well built and cheap. It has been a solid performer for some time now..

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

Like toting a Remington 870? No lulling here.

prospector 4 years, 4 months ago

We have not decommissioned the bunker yet, because that is where the Free State beer is stored. I don't want to get complacent. Questions like this lull people into a false sense of security as can be seen by the answers here.

2Bfrank 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't think that the holiday season is of particular concern.

Aren't we all supposed to watch out for terrorists in the Homeland?

W's Trillion dollar wars have proven expensive huh?

Matt Warman 4 years, 4 months ago

Nice hat Alyson. You might look in the mirror once in a while.
No, I don't feel less safe during the Holidays. Except, well, maybe a little threatened by people with strange hats.

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

OB , you know, like in the circus. (he he).

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

It is obviously the direction of the "head tilt". If he tilts to the left, his hair goes back and he looks clean shaven. To the right, hair falls forward and the light shows his beard. Simple right?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

"Maybe even put my head in her mouth." Consumer1

Whoa, hey. This is a family website. You can only get away with that kind of talk on the stripper blog.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

Walt looks different. In fact, he looked just like Craig earlier this morning. Kudos to Walt for morphing.

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

OB, I am not affraid of her I want to make her jump through some hoops, with fire. Then lick my hand. Maybe even put my head in her mouth.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm afraid of English majors dressed as tigers.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

Of course, the in-laws are coming, so spousal unit could snap at any moment.

Donnuts 4 years, 4 months ago

Always as usual. We got ripped off by Free Credit Report dot com. Don't ever use them !!!!!! Ever. They succored us for $58.85 in the fine print on a pop up window on their sight and sucked out $14.95 a month for each of us twice at once for two months service of "Credit Monitoring" to ensure us that nobody stole our identity.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

I tend to be toting my Remington 870 throughout the holiday season, so I feel quite safe. Most people won't even talk to me.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

Nah, you haven't been watching closely enough dear friend. I would be the one they would scoop the gray matter back up, pour it back in. In a coma for a year or two, awake, spend a year relearning basic skills albeit to a degree most people would still look away and avoid,unable to work but barely able to care for myself, then get slapped with medical bills that would be insurmountable. One of my nicknames is Long Shot. ;)

OTSSweeper 4 years, 4 months ago

I can see that icicle piercing your eyeball as you look up to see what that snapping sound was. It is falling from such a height that the momentum drives it clear through your eye and into the brain. You're convulsing on the ground for a minute or so, as the electrical impulses in your brain are scrambled and finally stop sending messages to your heart. It beats wildly and erratically for your last minute or so of life, then finally arrests. For a few seconds you have lucid, but panicked consciousness. You're unable to move any part of your body and then there is nothing.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

Two things: 1) that overhanging 50 lb. icicle with my number on it, 2) being the random shopper who happens to approach as the red bucket bell ringer goes postal after reading the anti homeless threads all year, and seeing fewer people drop money in those buckets.

OTSSweeper 4 years, 4 months ago

Must be the egg nog... Craig & Walt look like twins

(after they correct this, this post won't make sense)

Blog entries