Previous   Next

What is the touchiest subject between you and your in-laws?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on November 23, 2009

Browse the archives

“Politics. I’m far left, and they’re far right.”

“The upbringing of the children. They have their views, and I have my views.”

“Which restaurant to go to.”

“Religion. We’re strongly Christian, and our in-laws are nominally Christian.”

Comments

yoornotmee 5 years, 1 month ago

They wouldn't be your in-laws but if you had kids they'd still be the grandparents.

I don't have issues with mi in-laws, even though we're politically and religiously on opposite ends of the spectrum. (pro-choice/atheist & pro-life/super Christian)

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

They want to control our existence but they have no common sense. They don't believe in boundaries. They are former military so they feel the need to be involved in everyone's life with a tow the company line or you're out attitude.

They are holier than thou hypocritical Christians (they've changed denominations 3 times in 8 years, and so should we) and they love to back stab. Drama is their middle name. Toxic is an understatement.

But other than that they're great! and I love them. :)

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

I NEVER fight with them, I just think they are losers, because they are.

labmonkey 5 years, 1 month ago

Same old stuff...politics and religion. What's funny is that they are liberals in every way except for the two subjects where being a liberal is actually fun...sex and alcohol.

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry, they are now my ex-inlaws, thank God.

carry on.

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

The raising of the grandchildren. Evidently I don't beat them enough, the grandkids that is.

Matt Warman 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't have any problems with my In-Laws

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

In-laws are not necessarily a reflection of your significant other. My mom has been married three times, divorced twice, is very Republican, conservative, and well, racist. I am the total opposite of her. She has no idea where I got my thoughts and opinions on subjects, and neither do I.

Fixed_Asset 5 years, 1 month ago

"Strongly Christian" as opposed to "Nominally Christian". WOW.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

They're kind of. . . . weird. But it would be politics, where they hold to the "everybody is at fault but people like me" philosophy of society. Oh well.

By the way, the term to properly use, I'd say, for in-laws who are the parents of a divorced spouse, (well, not the proper one, but clearly the best)

. . . is Out-laws.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

My mom still lives in the same town she was born in. Her paternal grandparents had southern roots, but her maternal grandparents grew up in Oklahoma and her hometown. Not sure where my mom's views came from, as my grandparents kind of held things in check, but then again, my mother could just be a product of her time.
My husband gets along with my mom great. I always joke that she likes him more than me.

monkey_c 5 years, 1 month ago

2Bfrank - You or them? And you/they got some problem with that? hee hee

My only problem with my in-laws are that they are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy lunatics and you must stear clear.

jehovah_bob 5 years, 1 month ago

My Monopoly strategy. Apparently it is in bad taste to own all the properties.

Oh, and the large number of extramarital relationships that I wish to persue.

trinity 5 years, 1 month ago

how much liquor to put in the fruitcake. always causes quite the battle. ;)

Tony Kisner 5 years, 1 month ago

The fact that I married their daughter.

paisley 5 years, 1 month ago

My in laws are the most selfish people I have ever met. They think the world revolves around their every whim and all must do their bidding at the drop of a dime. I highly resent their willingness to use up my time. Oh I can and have said "No", but my spouse does not know how to. Just talking about them is an explosive subject with me.

redmorgan 5 years, 1 month ago

My potato soup...they think I'm trying to kill my husband with it.

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

What the ...? Why would you say that? We eat turkey and the "bong" got broken years ago! It does kinda look like the United Nations is holding court here, though.

ohgeeze 5 years, 1 month ago

Haven't gotten married yet...but my dad always used to be furious at my mom's parents for letting me drive when I was 13 and sneaking me the "good" egg nog when I was in highschool...

To this day my grandma still sneaks me cider with extra bourbon even though I'm of age... :-)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

My refusal to wrap my daughter in bubble wrap, and that I don't think every sneeze is a symptom of [latest disease discussed on network TV].

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 1 month ago

Who is smarter but I'm glad to report that issued has been settled: I'm smarter. They knew it along but just would not face facts, kind a like Obama.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad I don't have an in-law, but I would gladly wrap the grandchildren in bubble wrap. I would hire bodyguards 24/7 and have everyone they come in contact with double checked with the FBI. I do respect her rights as a mother and do not go against her wishes concerning her children, but, inside-

H_Lecter 5 years, 1 month ago

Wrapping people in bubble wrap isn't all it's cracked up to be.

To really keep them fresh, I seal them in plastic bags and foil before putting them in the freezer.

cj123 5 years, 1 month ago

i just wish my in-laws were normal people. my father-in-law is a severe alcoholic and my mother-in-law is schizoprenic.sucks!

workinghard 5 years, 1 month ago

They complain I don't call or visit enough.